C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What to look for in going MSD (Dist/6al/coil)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:32 AM
chillcat
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for in going MSD (Dist/6al/coil)

I'm looking at upgrading my ignition system to an msd setup, I like the look of the smaller distributor. My car is an 85 383/miniram/no smog...what major specs should I need to know before buying the right Dist and 6al and seperate coil? I found different models on ebay. Don't want to buy the wrong parts.
I'm not sure what the vaccum piece is on a distributor

Last edited by chillcat; 03-17-2007 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:15 PM
chillcat
Drifting

bump. Wow, thought this would be an easy answer from someone.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:11 PM
RICEKILA
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's still to early everyone's still out driving da vettes
Old 03-17-2007, 06:20 PM
chillcat
Drifting

lol..yeah everyone except us, my car is kapoot right now till I figure out its problem
Old 03-17-2007, 10:13 PM
TPI84GMC
Advanced

Hey there. I put a small MSD probillet distributor MSD part#8366 in my setup with the MSD blaster coil MSD# 8226. the hard part about changing it over was getting the connectors that go in to the coil and out from the coil to the distributor. NAPS had them both I'll see if I can find part#s. THe only thikn i didnt like about doing this was that the MSD coil went bad after about 5 minutes of run time and cost me alot of headache! probably just bad luck though!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:34 PM
TPI84GMC
Advanced

OK found some wiring part#s. The connector that clips on to the coil with the 12v (key in run) and tack out is Napa part #EC26.
You will have to make the connector to go from the Distributor to the coil. At least I couldnt find one anywhere.... the 2 end connectors are EC25(coil side) and ECHTSC200(distributor side). The wiring may be different if you do the 6al but those connectors will work. hope this helps.

Last edited by TPI84GMC; 03-17-2007 at 10:34 PM. Reason: oops.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:00 PM
chillcat
Drifting

yes it does, how did your coil go bad ? faulty coil? Can any other distributor part #'s work on our early c4's? thanks
Old 03-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

The MSD coil will burn up your ignition module. It is alot of trouble. I will never do that again.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:58 AM
TPI84GMC
Advanced

Not sure why it burned it up. i put a stock coil in it from autozone and havent had a problem yet. Granted ive only driven it once since then... not sure what other products MSD has for C4s call them or email a tech they are normally quick to reply.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:15 AM
CORKVETTE1
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by chillcat
I'm looking at upgrading my ignition system to an msd setup, I like the look of the smaller distributor. My car is an 85 383/miniram/no smog...what major specs should I need to know before buying the right Dist and 6al and seperate coil? I found different models on ebay. Don't want to buy the wrong parts.
I'm not sure what the vaccum piece is on a distributor
i am not sure you can run the msd distribtor with the stock computer i know me and just about everybody else around is running a some kind of aftermarket coil in cap and a msd 6al by them selfs with the factory dist hope this helps
Old 03-18-2007, 10:30 AM
C4Techie
Racer

Originally Posted by chillcat
I'm looking at upgrading my ignition system to an msd setup, I like the look of the smaller distributor. My car is an 85 383/miniram/no smog...
High performance ignition components aren't going to provide any advantage for the set up you have described. Why don't you see if you can get it to start and running properly, before you throw, unknown, possibly mismatched, and maybe mis-wired, components into the mix to further complicate your problems?
Old 03-18-2007, 12:02 PM
TPI84GMC
Advanced

all I can say is I have a stock computer with msd small distributor and it works. no codes.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:47 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well there is not much to know, but I have the 8366 with a $20 plug in connector from www.jimsperformance.com , Jim will hook you up

I also have the 6AL,,,,,,, picking a mount postion is the hardest part, run a large gauge 12v wire per the directions to the power supply and the good part is that you get to dump the tach filter as it is not used on 6AL.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:49 PM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by C4Techie
High performance ignition components aren't going to provide any advantage for the set up you have described. Why don't you see if you can get it to start and running properly, before you throw, unknown, possibly mismatched, and maybe mis-wired, components into the mix to further complicate your problems?

THAT is some E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T advice.

Probably the ABSOLUTE BEST advice anyone could give you regarding your Vette's ignition system.

I'll add this; If you don't do it NOW you WILL do it later.
May as well save yourself a boatload of headaches and use the stock IGNITION components that have had MILLIONS of dollars spent on their development and BILLIONS of trouble free miles to their credit.

An added benefit is, if it happens to fail and strand you on the side of the road, all the parts needed to revive the ignition system are no farther than the nearest (insert YOUR favorite name) chain auto store for pretty cheap prices.

There's some (a LOT) of aftermarket parts that are better in some respect than OEM but ignition for a street driven car isn't one of them.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:12 PM
chillcat
Drifting

yeah, you guys are right, I'll steer away from the msd and just stick to what I have, the msd is pretty expensive anyhow. Thankyou 4 the replies
Old 03-19-2007, 10:18 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Do NOT get the MSD Digital 6 plus.

Me (and another few forum members ) have had lots of problems with those.

(like 3 units that would work for a day or so, then strand us somewhere).
Old 03-19-2007, 10:27 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VetNutJim

THAT is some E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T advice.

Probably the ABSOLUTE BEST advice anyone could give you regarding your Vette's ignition system.

An added benefit is, if it happens to fail and strand you on the side of the road, all the parts needed to revive the ignition system are no farther than the nearest (insert YOUR favorite name) chain auto store for pretty cheap prices.
Not trying to beat a dead horse here,, but I agree that the stock HEI is sufficient,,, but as far as the "failed part availability",, the MSD-8366 cap and rotor are the same as stock, and the coil is an external coil which has been used for the past umpteen years so all parts can be bought at the local parts store as well.

Now the MSD-6al part is true, if it craps out you will have problems, or if the voltage drops below 11.1 it may not start, but the 6AL is really not necessary.

Personally, if you don't have to use the small cap for clearance issues, you will gain you no performance improvement by going to the small cap.

Get notified of new replies

To What to look for in going MSD (Dist/6al/coil)

Quick Reply: What to look for in going MSD (Dist/6al/coil)