C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Horn fuse keeps popping

Old 03-11-2007, 09:40 PM
sraft
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Horn fuse keeps popping

Hi all,

I've finally gotten my '94 back on the road after about a 2 year layover. (we had a baby girl during that time and I couldn't break away much to work on the car). I took her for a ride to see how she was running and realized that my horns were dead. Turns out the fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse only to have it blow out almost immediately. Only one of the two horns worked for a very short time before the fuse blew. Could the other horn have shorted out causing it to draw too much current?

I have the Helms FSM, but before I go out there and dig into this I'm looking to lean on people's experiences.

TIA, Steve
Old 03-11-2007, 09:59 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Yea, your could have a short at one of the horn wires.... or the relay...
but as i've always said: You don't need to fix backup lites, Just don't back up and You don't need a horn, just don't honk... actually from an old mechanic friend... he's quite the guy...
Old 03-13-2007, 02:26 PM
samauriwarrior
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnies87
Yea, your could have a short at one of the horn wires.... or the relay...
I had a radio fuse burn every time I hit a bump or rough part of the road. Took the radio out and found 3 wires on the harness chaffed and bare. Taped them up and have had no problem since except for the lousy songs it plays sometimes.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default easiest fix!

The easy way to deal with this is to quit using the horn - switch to the finger - it's much more cummunicative !

Carl 86 with no horn" Johansson
Originally Posted by sraft
Hi all,

I've finally gotten my '94 back on the road after about a 2 year layover. (we had a baby girl during that time and I couldn't break away much to work on the car). I took her for a ride to see how she was running and realized that my horns were dead. Turns out the fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse only to have it blow out almost immediately. Only one of the two horns worked for a very short time before the fuse blew. Could the other horn have shorted out causing it to draw too much current?

I have the Helms FSM, but before I go out there and dig into this I'm looking to lean on people's experiences.

TIA, Steve
Old 03-13-2007, 02:51 PM
wacojohnnyd
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a similiar problem w/my '94. 1) installed two new horns; 2) checked/cleaned all electrical connections; 3) put in a 30 amp fuse/over the 20 that was there. note: be sure to check the conection in the steering wheel.

Get notified of new replies

To Horn fuse keeps popping

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horn fuse keeps popping