C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

4+3 trans swaps

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:59 AM
toasted
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a longer term usage with results to post?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:03 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by toasted
Does anyone have a longer term usage with results to post?
Theres 1 or 2 guys who made their own bracket. If you search, you'll find one of them still posts here. Hes got a couple years of use out of it.

As far as the pro-street bracket goes, it's only been available for a few months. I have had some emails off site from non-members who have done it, but we're still talking only 2-3 months tops.

-- Joe
Old 03-27-2008, 08:05 AM
toasted
8th Gear

Ok will do. Thanks Joe.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:03 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

:bump: anyone have a road test report of a T5 swap?

I'm still collecting parts for my swap.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:42 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VtVette
:bump: anyone have a road test report of a T5 swap?

I'm still collecting parts for my swap.
Give Jleatherman a shout. He completed his last month if I recall.

-- Joe
Old 04-14-2008, 07:15 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly I've still not gotten my exhaust squared away enough for a road test. Work and such, y'all know how it gets sometimes...
Old 04-14-2008, 02:38 PM
BTTB
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthes
Theres 1 or 2 guys who made their own bracket. If you search, you'll find one of them still posts here. Hes got a couple years of use out of it.

As far as the pro-street bracket goes, it's only been available for a few months. I have had some emails off site from non-members who have done it, but we're still talking only 2-3 months tops.

-- Joe
Ive had Pro Streets t-56 conversion in my 86 for over two years now and couldnt be happier. Ive got alot of hsp and have not been gentle on the car and its just as solid as the day that I installed it. As far as the t-56 goes I havent ever heard of anyone blowing one ,thats the reason that I chose it over the zf-6,-- + too many syncro problems and to expensive to rebuild.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:50 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BTTB
Ive had Pro Streets t-56 conversion in my 86 for over two years now and couldnt be happier. Ive got alot of hsp and have not been gentle on the car and its just as solid as the day that I installed it. As far as the t-56 goes I havent ever heard of anyone blowing one ,thats the reason that I chose it over the zf-6,-- + too many syncro problems and to expensive to rebuild.
Although most of this thread was dedicated to the T5 bracket, I'd love to see some pix of your T56 setup if you have some.

I agree with the ZF6 stuff. The ZF6 was also more of a PITA to install on my car, required more cuttings and more expensive parts, the clearances all the way up to the stupid starter are absolutely insane.

AND they shift goofy.

-- Joe
Old 04-14-2008, 02:59 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Joe, have you completed your ZF6 swap using 4+3 hydraulics? How does it feel? You gonna do a T56 next?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:09 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JLeatherman
Joe, have you completed your ZF6 swap using 4+3 hydraulics? How does it feel? You gonna do a T56 next?
No, the 4+3 hydraulics wouldn't work. I got angry, and tried the ZF6 hydraulics. That was a nightmare too.

Then the starter bit me. If the block is like a few thousands different than a production LT1, the starter is a PITA to bolt up.

My ZF6 swap ended up costing about $1800. Stick with the T5...

I'm gonna run it until it explodes. When it does I'll push it in the river and buy a C5..

-- Joe
Old 04-15-2008, 08:57 AM
hangonsnoopy
Intermediate

Default They make a kit for the T5

Last week a guy posted a web site prostreetcustoms.net
They make a kit for the C4 T-56 & the T-5 Transmissions.
I would go with the T-56 / 6 speed myself
Also, I went to the web site to look at their Truss Bar. Iam going to order one next week. I talked to the the owner Tom and he said the he has enough stock to make 23 bars and he's going to stop making them.
He say's It's getting harder to have the rear locators made. GM stop making them. So if you want to buy one, you better order it soon.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:22 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hangonsnoopy
Also, I went to the web site to look at their Truss Bar. Iam going to order one next week. I talked to the the owner Tom and he said the he has enough stock to make 23 bars and he's going to stop making them.
He say's It's getting harder to have the rear locators made. GM stop making them. So if you want to buy one, you better order it soon.
Tom Gasper is a good guy.

-- Joe
Old 04-15-2008, 09:43 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hangonsnoopy
I'd only go with the T56 if you've got a ZF6 car to start with. The rear in my 4+3 car (3.07) doesn't need the extra OD. The T5 bracket from ProStreet is what I used (after Joe used it) and it seems to work just fine. I spoke with Tom before my T5 swap about the T56 and it's a good choice, very strong etc, but it was out of my price range. I hunted around my area and good used LT1 T56's seemed to be bringing $1200+. I picked up a good T5 for $50, changed the tailshaft housing and speedo gears for another $75, and spent maybe $350 on the bracket/shifter/miscellaneous. It was a bit more work than I expected, but not that bad and I got the whole thing done for less than $500.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:26 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JLeatherman
It was a bit more work than I expected, but not that bad and I got the whole thing done for less than $500.
And that's really the whole point right there. For 4+3 guys looking for something better to replace the 4+3 on the cheap, a T5 is the way to go.

And I'm not talking crap either, I've done the T5 AND the ZF6 swap. The ZF6 swap is a pita and it costs way more, 6th us useless as you suggested without a rear-end swap, etc. Don't listen to the "bogus" guys on 'the other site'. Half of them don't do their own mechanical work..

-- Joe
Old 05-07-2008, 04:52 PM
1984corvette
Heel & Toe

hey I have the t-5 in the car now didnt do the shifter yet, but have been taking it out a few times without the boot and center piece in, WOW this car is so much more fun hits second way harder than it used to, way more fun since the swap.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthes
And that's really the whole point right there. For 4+3 guys looking for something better to replace the 4+3 on the cheap, a T5 is the way to go.

And I'm not talking crap either, I've done the T5 AND the ZF6 swap. The ZF6 swap is a pita and it costs way more, 6th us useless as you suggested without a rear-end swap, etc. Don't listen to the "bogus" guys on 'the other site'. Half of them don't do their own mechanical work..

-- Joe
Well I don't doubt the T5 is a good swap, but I did my own ZF-6 swap, in the winter, on my back and in the garage. Installed Fidanza while I was down there. Never regretted it. Added a Hurst to it and 3.45 D44 rear. Really nice combo. 6th gear gives you thr option of some shorter rear gearing.
Taking out the 4+3, along with adding C5 brakes really changes the 84 especially with Z51 .
Old 05-07-2008, 10:05 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Well I don't doubt the T5 is a good swap, but I did my own ZF-6 swap, in the winter, on my back and in the garage. Installed Fidanza while I was down there. Never regretted it. Added a Hurst to it and 3.45 D44 rear. Really nice combo. 6th gear gives you thr option of some shorter rear gearing.
Taking out the 4+3, along with adding C5 brakes really changes the 84 especially with Z51 .
My ZF6 swap was way more involved than the T5. Most of it was running around for research. The starter pissed me off, and I had the cut out the hole in the floor a little more. The hydraulics were a bit more expencive.

Overall I'd rather have the ZF because I do think its stronger, and it sorta just 'belongs there'. The swap didn't cost me anywhere near what folks say though. $1500 is a joke, it cost me closer to 2k when I was done. Maybe $1500 for everything used and near non-functioning condition. I had to buy new hydraulics, a hose, new clutch, flywheel, ZR1 pivot for flywheel, then a starter cuz the stupid offset BH. I still think they shift kinda goofy though, and it sounds like rocks in a clothes dryer at idle. really bad.. Of course, my 16lbs singlemass flywheel and unsprung clutch disc and the fact that it's a black tag ZF6 don't help.

-- Joe
Old 05-13-2008, 11:59 PM
1984corvette
Heel & Toe

shifter is done, it looks sweet will try get some pics soon
Old 05-14-2008, 06:40 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1984corvette
shifter is done, it looks sweet will try get some pics soon
I'd like to see some pics! I wasn't too thrilled about the mod I made to the shifter, but John seemed to think it was OK.

Can't be any worse than the ZF6 shifter though. The thing shifts from 1st to 2nd like the shifter on a riding mower.

-- Joe

Quick Reply: 4+3 trans swaps