C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:23 AM
sharp90
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans problems

I am thinking I have a transmission slipping. On my drive home from a weekend road trip (about 450 miles) as I was exiting the freeway, I heard a grumbling noise from the car. I instantly suspected the trans. At home I tested my theory when I shifted through the grears.
1st to 2nd fine
start in 2nd fine
2nd to 3rd not so fine.
3rd to 4th fine
2nd to 3rd is where I feel the grinding of the transmission and hear the warring bells of my visa credit limit.
Now, what to do? Am I just hearing things? If I do have a problem, how much am I in for? Also, can I make it better, not so much into a shift kit, but better guts, maybe a bit tougher. Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sharp90
I am thinking I have a transmission slipping. On my drive home from a weekend road trip (about 450 miles) as I was exiting the freeway, I heard a grumbling noise from the car. I instantly suspected the trans. At home I tested my theory when I shifted through the grears.
1st to 2nd fine
start in 2nd fine
2nd to 3rd not so fine.
3rd to 4th fine
2nd to 3rd is where I feel the grinding of the transmission and hear the warring bells of my visa credit limit.
Now, what to do? Am I just hearing things? If I do have a problem, how much am I in for? Also, can I make it better, not so much into a shift kit, but better guts, maybe a bit tougher. Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Run a search on my name, and you will have quite a bit to look at.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:41 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Check your fluid for discoloration.

That is precisely how my transmission failed. It ran fine until it shifted from 2-3... It was perfect when cold. Also, the tranny fluid suddenly turned brownish. The problem became progressively worse. When I took the transmission apart. . . my firction plates looked like these.

Originally Posted by sharp90
1st to 2nd fine
start in 2nd fine
2nd to 3rd not so fine.
3rd to 4th fine
Old 05-13-2008, 12:42 AM
sharp90
Advanced

[QUOTE=JimiHendrix;1565428264]That is precisely how my transmission failed. It ran fine until it shifted from 2-3... It was perfect when cold. Also, the tranny fluid suddenly turned brownish. The problem became progressively worse. When I took the transmission apart. . . my firction plates looked like these.

Did you do the rebuild yourself? If so, how much and what tools will I need. I have industrial use tools for what I do. Im not too afraid of tearing into a transmission. I know its not for the squimish. Will I need to use a real lift or can it be done in my garage? or should I just buy a rebuilt transmission and rebuild a spare?
Old 05-14-2008, 12:21 AM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I rebuilt it myself. . . .having never done a transmission before. After reading Pete K's posts and asking for recommendations...plus a complete teardown video, I built up the courage to do it. It wasnt bad at all. Took me a total of four days over a one and half week period. The 4l60e and 4l60, are built up in subsections. Very logical and easy to follow. Just take you time and ask advice on every little thing if needed.
. I spent a total of 400 dollars. I made my own spring compressor. . . out of wood and threaded rods and nuts. The input drum C-clip retainers.....I used my hands. I have strong fingers.
Pete K is tranny guru here...run a post by him
[QUOTE=sharp90;1565434781]
Originally Posted by JimiHendrix
That is precisely how my transmission failed. It ran fine until it shifted from 2-3... It was perfect when cold. Also, the tranny fluid suddenly turned brownish. The problem became progressively worse. When I took the transmission apart. . . my firction plates looked like these.

Did you do the rebuild yourself? If so, how much and what tools will I need. I have industrial use tools for what I do. Im not too afraid of tearing into a transmission. I know its not for the squimish. Will I need to use a real lift or can it be done in my garage? or should I just buy a rebuilt transmission and rebuild a spare?
Old 05-14-2008, 12:50 AM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=sharp90;1565434781]
Originally Posted by JimiHendrix

For tools, do a search on my name. As Jimi mentioned, not all tools are necessary, but I plan to sell the specialty tools right after I'm done. It is essential you have good jack stands capable of 21 inches or more (for home garage work) and a $60 450lb trans jack from harbor freight will make life a LOT easier and safer. Snap ring pliers, a good screwdriver, torque wrench, helper, etc.

You will save a ton if you do it right and my heavy duty rebuild kit with 9.5 inch vigilante torque converter was ~$1200. I think that's a lot better than the $3,600 and $2,700 I was quoted by reputable shops for stock parts and upgraded TC. However, if you screw up because you rushed or were unprepared, you might break even or worse. The satisfaction of the money you save and the confidence you get will be well worth the hours you put into it!!

Oh, and Pete K is THE source of info for the 700R4 and 4l60e. Look him up as he said.

Jonathan

Last edited by janarvae; 05-14-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:32 AM
sharp90
Advanced

I have been reading most of the posts on 700r4 tranys. I have most of the specialty tools needed to do the replacement. worst case I take it to a shop with a transmission in a box. now my only hurdle will be finding cash to purchase the parts I want. until then, my car is in the dog house. also my new neighbors are car guys, one has built a Bonneville Salt Flats Ford SHO, top speed around 190ish. All have offered to assist if needed. Im hoping to do it myself and save some money. Thanks for all of the input, im sure I will be asking many questions in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To Trans problems

Quick Reply: Trans problems