C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hose is hose is hose. Or not? Any Goodyear hose experts here?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:50 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Hose is hose is hose. Or not? Any Goodyear hose experts here?

You see at the parts store, heater hose, crankcase vent hose, transmission oil cooler hose, vacuum hose, fuel hose, etc. And each is only sold in certain sizes.

If you want some 5/8" power steering hose for example, you're s.o.l.

I checked the Goodyear site and there explanations aren't very definitive. Obviously, some can handle higher pressures than others, but is the material any different? I noticed they have fuel hose now with a blue liner inside of it.

My question is because I bought some Goodyear HiMiler hose and used it on my power steering suction line, and it doesn't look healthy, I'll take a pic later.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:29 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

There is a guy down in Irvine or something, I think he's called the hose man. I will check the link tonite.

forum member jhammons01 (sp?) recommended him to me.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Kevin, I've been using Aeroquip Socketless hose for years both on the track and on the street. The socketless hose is rated at -45 to 300 degrees and 250 psi. I have some on a racecar that's probably 15 years old. This stuff is bullitproof. Works well with regular fittings and hose clamps.
You may find short lengths at a race shop or Areoquip dealer. Summit sells it but it's a 10ft. min.
You can get a really good catalog (Areoquip Performance Products) at www.areoquip.com.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
...I checked the Goodyear site and there explanations aren't very definitive. Obviously, some can handle higher pressures than others, but is the material any different? I noticed they have fuel hose now with a blue liner inside of it.

My question is because I bought some Goodyear HiMiler hose and used it on my power steering suction line, and it doesn't look healthy, I'll take a pic later.
It's not just pressure to worry about. Power steering hose is made from a different material to keep the fluid from deteriorating it. Power steering hose is specific for that function.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:21 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would think that the three main variables that matter in hose selection would be:
  1. Heat range
  2. Pressure range
  3. Chemical resistance

The same hose material can be used for coolant, oil, and fuel from my research. I've used them interchangeably for those applications with no issue.

However, I didn't realize that power steering fluid is more "aggressive" than the other three. I currently have some coolant hose at the two junctions in my PS system low pressure line - at the bottom of the resivoir and at the connection to the pump. I'll have to check their condition tonight. Originally there were little red hoses at these two places as shown below.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Scott S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A hose is not a hose. I bought a new set of goodyear hoses for my Acura. They were not exactly the right shape and were not exactly the right inner diameter so they leaked a little and one of the belts was slowly cutting into one of the hoses. I bought a new set from the dealer (same price) that fit perfectly. Always start with the dealer and if they want huge money, then concider your options.

Scott
Old 04-16-2007, 02:24 PM
rel3rd
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Akcelr8 N VA
It's not just pressure to worry about. Power steering hose is made from a different material to keep the fluid from deteriorating it. Power steering hose is specific for that function.
...you'll also notice that the hose that comes with an automatic transmission fluid cooler is the same type as a power steering return hose.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:11 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

http://www.hose-man.com/sys-tmpl/door/
Old 04-17-2007, 05:44 AM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
You see at the parts store, heater hose, crankcase vent hose, transmission oil cooler hose, vacuum hose, fuel hose, etc. And each is only sold in certain sizes.

If you want some 5/8" power steering hose for example, you're s.o.l.

I checked the Goodyear site and there explanations aren't very definitive. Obviously, some can handle higher pressures than others, but is the material any different? I noticed they have fuel hose now with a blue liner inside of it.

http://www.chemtec.org/books/pdl/pdl21-tc.html
Old 04-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I feel your pain...I blew a coolant return hose at the drag strip one night...I was able to jury rig it to finish the event and get home...the next day I find out GM does not make the hose anymore...I ended up using fuel line hose and so far so good after a year....I too worried about the coolant or water wetter eating at the hose...
Old 04-17-2007, 10:04 AM
smearig
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carquest here in Austin stocks 5/8" p/s hose. I used that Goodyear EZ-Coil you recommended and it has been working great.

Get notified of new replies

To Hose is hose is hose. Or not? Any Goodyear hose experts here?

Quick Reply: Hose is hose is hose. Or not? Any Goodyear hose experts here?