C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Knocking Noisy Injectors?

Old 04-21-2007, 12:29 AM
zapitbullseye
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking Noisy Injectors?

I have a 1992 Coupe LT1. As my engine warms up, I hear what sounds like a tapping or knocking sound from the passenger side footwell area. I finally figured where it was coming from. The freaking injectors! I realized these early LT1's are batch fire, so 4 at a time are going off. I pinpointed it with a stethiscope. They do look original though with 120k on them. Anyone else have a noisy set of injectors? It still runs great, but I thought about getting a set of the motorsport 24lb injectors (please don't bash me, I know, ford parts in a chevy).It's just that they are a hell of a lot cheaper. Any comments?
Old 04-21-2007, 01:03 AM
TOMS93
Instructor

Originally Posted by zapitbullseye
I have a 1992 Coupe LT1. As my engine warms up, I hear what sounds like a tapping or knocking sound from the passenger side footwell area. I finally figured where it was coming from. The freaking injectors! I realized these early LT1's are batch fire, so 4 at a time are going off. I pinpointed it with a stethiscope. They do look original though with 120k on them. Anyone else have a noisy set of injectors? It still runs great, but I thought about getting a set of the motorsport 24lb injectors (please don't bash me, I know, ford parts in a chevy).It's just that they are a hell of a lot cheaper. Any comments?
The SVT injectors are good. Lot's of people use them. Nothing wrong with them.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just don't buy them from Fiveomotorsports.com. Everyone here that's used the ford injectors have been happy with them.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:15 AM
Dads90
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine from FiveO. I don't know if their used or not. They are rather noisy. Can actually hear them ticking at a stop sign without the radio going. Kinda annoying.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

The injectors in the 96's were just as noisy.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Just how loud is the injector ticking? I've got pink top injectors in my engine and I also have a ticking sound that I have been looking for in the valve train. I realize no one can say without hearing the sound but if I knew how loud they were I could at least stop trying to adjust my rockers to get rid of the sound.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Dads90
Burning Brakes

Funny how if youre looking at the motor, while running, the ticking is obvious. You can hear them more with a long screwdriver to your ear. Also can feel them if you put your finger on it.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:37 PM
zapitbullseye
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dads90
Funny how if youre looking at the motor, while running, the ticking is obvious. You can hear them more with a long screwdriver to your ear. Also can feel them if you put your finger on it.
That's exactly how I found it! Except I thought the fuel filter was causing some vibration in the fuel line (I could feel it hammering when the car is running, as have full access to a lift ) Glad I changed it out to be on the safe side, I about popped a lung trying to blow though it! It was completely plugged! Made a small power difference at WOT. Cave man happpy now.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:45 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
Just how loud is the injector ticking? I've got pink top injectors in my engine and I also have a ticking sound that I have been looking for in the valve train. I realize no one can say without hearing the sound but if I knew how loud they were I could at least stop trying to adjust my rockers to get rid of the sound.
I have the pink top, and they are loud, solid ticking you can hear, i though the same thing, but its the injectors.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:00 PM
zapitbullseye
Instructor

Originally Posted by vinnies87
I have the pink top, and they are loud, solid ticking you can hear, i though the same thing, but its the injectors.
Pink top fords? What lbs?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by vinnies87
Thanks, now I can relax a bit, new engine so every little noise gets my attention. If memory serves me the pink tops are 22 lb.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:34 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

LT1's are notorious for this problem. It's just something we deal with.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:54 PM
todd_vette
Racer

Sombody once told me that the ticking is actually an air bubble at the end of the rail??? I have NEVER been able to completely prove or dis-prove that theory... So i put it forward for you to decide for your-self.
Please no fighting... I am just offering a possible answer... NOT definate.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:09 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by todd_vette
Sombody once told me that the ticking is actually an air bubble at the end of the rail??? I have NEVER been able to completely prove or dis-prove that theory... So i put it forward for you to decide for your-self.
Please no fighting... I am just offering a possible answer... NOT definate.
You never know but I seem to remember reading somewhere (a long time ago) that the design of the injectors is what makes them "tick".
Old 04-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kool88vette
.. Everyone here that's used the ford injectors have been happy with them.
include me on that list
Old 04-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Dads90
Burning Brakes

I've got my engine torn down to replace manifold gasket. I think it will move a couple around, some seem louder than others. Will swap #5 and # 2, # 5 seems louder than all the others. Put as far from the driver seat as possible.

Get notified of new replies

To Knocking Noisy Injectors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Knocking Noisy Injectors?