C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coolant temperature sensor ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2001, 04:16 AM
Larrym96815
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Coolant temperature sensor ????

Does the coolant temperature sensor control the temperature gauge and also send a signal to the ECM for proper engine settings? I have been having trouble with a high idle after warm up. After many suggestions from all of you guys, one of which was the coolant temperature sensor, I noticed tonight that my temperture gauge isn't working. Is this the same sensor? Thanks for any help.

Aloha,
Larry
Old 10-19-2001, 12:11 PM
YLO Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Re: Coolant temperature sensor ???? (Larry Mackey)

I have an LT1, so I don't know how different the sensors are. But on mine, there are 2 coolant sensors -- one in the block and one in the water pump. the one in the water pump controls the digital dash guage, and the one in the block controls the analog guage on the dash and the PCM computer (I think). Anyway, check both sensors and replace if need be (might just replace them both if they are cheap).
Old 10-19-2001, 12:21 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

On the L98 the Coolant Temp Sensor is on the front of the intake manifold and sends the coolant temp to the ECM. The gauge is controlled by a sender on the passenger side of the block, between the #6 and #8 cylinders.
Old 10-19-2001, 02:02 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Default Re: Coolant temperature sensor ???? (94vette)

I have an LT1, so I don't know how different the sensors are. But on mine, there are 2 coolant sensors -- one in the block and one in the water pump. the one in the water pump controls the digital dash guage, and the one in the block controls the analog guage on the dash and the PCM computer (I think). Anyway, check both sensors and replace if need be (might just replace them both if they are cheap).
On the LT1, the sensor in the water pump (CTS for Coolant Temperature Sensor), is used for both the ECM/PCM and the digtal dash readout. The sensor in the right side cylinder head is for the analog guage.

Tom Piper
Old 10-19-2001, 04:09 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Coolant temperature sensor ???? (Tom Piper)

On the LT1, the sensor in the water pump (CTS for Coolant Temperature Sensor), is used for both the ECM/PCM and the digtal dash readout. The sensor in the right side cylinder head is for the analog guage.

Tom Piper
Correct. And if the connector on the ECT (waterpump sensor) goes bad.. your car will run like poopie.. trust me.. i know :D .. it drove me nuts!
Old 10-20-2001, 02:47 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

A good way to spot a bad ECT is to watch the digital temp gauge. If it shows that the engine temp is 80 degrees while the oil temp guage shows 200 or normal operating temp. The ECT is bad or the connection to it is flaky. ECT also controls the fan so if its reading wrong the fans won't come on when they should. Run your AC to kick on one fan if your stuck and have to keep the car running with this problme.
Old 10-20-2001, 02:50 AM
Larrym96815
Safety Car

Default Re: Coolant temperature sensor ???? (AquaMetallic94LT1)

Aqua-----,

Evidently there was a dash change in later C4s. My 91 has a gauge but no digital read out. Thanks for the help though.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant temperature sensor ????

Quick Reply: Coolant temperature sensor ????