C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT4 intake manifold gasket mismatch

Old 10-18-2001, 12:59 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LT4 intake manifold gasket mismatch

I recall reading a couple of threads a while back regarding GM's use of an intake manifold gasket that blocks part of the head port on the LT4 engines.

In 1999, Chevy replaced the intake gaskets due to the typical oil leak using p/n 12528884, which I believe is the original LT4 gasket. Various sources indicate that gasket p/n 12367777 does not block the head ports.

Last night, I removed the intake manifold since it had just started to leak oil at the front seal again and to look at the intake manifold gasket. What I discovered was a little different than I expected. The intake manifold does not match up to the top of the head's intake ports. The old intake gasket fits the manifold fine but the top of the head port is higher by 3/16", which seems like a lot.

I plan on port matching the heads and intake over the weekend, so would like to hear the results from anyone that has done a similar thing.

Old 10-18-2001, 01:08 PM
Cory@LS2PortWorks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default Re: LT4 intake manifold gasket mismatch (Mez)

A lot of aftermarket heads find great gains with a "raised runner" design. Most of your air flow is at the top of the port so it should definitely help you to open it up on the intake side. All you are doing is gasket matching, effectively. I think it is worth your time.

Cory
Old 10-18-2001, 01:24 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas

Default Re: LT4 intake manifold gasket mismatch (CHarris85Vette)

What is kind of strange is the fuel injectors are about 3/4 inch up stream from the head/intake seam and there is a 1/4" deep and 1/4" wide depression after the injector that continues into head port so you know the designers took care to incorporate that element of the pattern into the both parts. Its just that they were off by a mile on where the two parts meet and its not a simple gasket issue as I previously believed.
Old 10-18-2001, 03:09 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Funny - I have just the opposite on a new set of L98 heads I've acquired from Chevy. The stock (old) heads have an intake which is 1/16 of an inch or so taller than the brand new ones. Go figure. I can't find anything on a redesign (other than a redrill of the the end bolts for intake gaskets with built in retainers which to my knowledge, Chevy never made).
Old 10-19-2001, 07:50 AM
GS Ragtop
Race Director

Location: Michigan in the summer, Florida the rest of the time
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'11

Mez,

Take a look at Jim Mason's writeup on the very subject: http://www.hashmarks.com/techtips/in...ke_porting.htm at Hutch's Grand Sport site.

I'm due for the same project this winter...

Brad
Old 10-19-2001, 08:05 AM
ericcer
Drifting

Default Re: LT4 intake manifold gasket mismatch (GS Ragtop)

Very good article. I was wondering about if I have to remove the heads for a cam job. From the pictures, it looks like I can get the lifters out without taking the heads off. It that true?
Old 10-19-2001, 10:55 AM
Mez
Safety Car

Default Re: LT4 intake manifold gasket mismatch (ericcer)

Yes, you can remove the cam without taking the heads off.

Jim sent me the link yesterday so it was very helpful. I finished the intake manifold last night. Instead of machinest dye, you can use a permenant magic marker and the old intake gaskets to scrib the area to be ground out. I used a Dremel tool with a wood/soft metal bit which is about .25" in diameter that cut quickly then smoothed it out with a stone bit in an drill.

There were lots of metal filings flying. Fun.

[Modified by Mez, 9:02 AM 10/19/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To LT4 intake manifold gasket mismatch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT4 intake manifold gasket mismatch