C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'96 cooling fans wont come on...ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Jinxie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '96 cooling fans wont come on...ideas?

Hi
I recently purchased a 96 Corvette and I have noticed the cooling fans dont come on unless I turn the a/c on. I had the temp on the dash come up to 225 with no fans. As soon as I turn on the A/C the fans come on high and cool the car down. Any ideas where I should start looking?
What is the "on" and "off" temps of the fan?
I dont want to start driving the car until I know the fans are working correctly.
Thanx!
Old 04-26-2007, 10:15 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinxie
Hi
I recently purchased a 96 Corvette and I have noticed the cooling fans dont come on unless I turn the a/c on. I had the temp on the dash come up to 225 with no fans. As soon as I turn on the A/C the fans come on high and cool the car down. Any ideas where I should start looking?
I dont want to start driving the car until I know the fans are working correctly.
Thanx!
Factory programing is main fan on at 227*F and the aux on at 236*F.
Run it up and watch the digital gauge. Bet you don't have a problem at all.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Jinxie
Instructor

yup false alarm!
It came on at 228
Thanx for the quick response!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:08 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by aminnich
Factory programing is main fan on at 227*F and the aux on at 236*F.
Run it up and watch the digital gauge. Bet you don't have a problem at all.
Just wondering, I know this is correct for a 94 model year. But I thought a 96 had a different set up and control configuration.

I’m not sure about this, but I thought both fans came on at the same time for a 96. Either with the A/C activation, or reaching a specific temperature. At this point it would be low speed for the fans. Then at the higher temperature point, both fans would kick into a higher speed to increase cooling.

Anyone verify this, yes—no.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:20 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Just wondering, I know this is correct for a 94 model year. But I thought a 96 had a different set up and control configuration.

I’m not sure about this, but I thought both fans came on at the same time for a 96. Either with the A/C activation, or reaching a specific temperature. At this point it would be low speed for the fans. Then at the higher temperature point, both fans would kick into a higher speed to increase cooling.

Anyone verify this, yes—no.
I think you are correct but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:44 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is correct, two fan speeds.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:33 PM
9vette4
Racer

wow,thanks guys . i was wondering about that also. Just the other day on my '94 i had it sitting in the drivway running and only one fan kicked on. I was wondering if the other fan was not working.So they are set at different temps. cool......
Old 04-27-2007, 11:10 PM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 9vette4
wow,thanks guys . i was wondering about that also. Just the other day on my '94 i had it sitting in the drivway running and only one fan kicked on. I was wondering if the other fan was not working.So they are set at different temps. cool......
I did the same thing in my '95 LT1 tonight. I watched the analog temp gauge slowly climb toward 240 deg. Talk about panic. My L-82 never, ever runs above 200 with dual spal fans. Thinking I was going to have a picnic this summer in traffic, I finally noticed the temp coming down as the fans cycled. These beasts run hot!
Mike
Old 04-28-2007, 08:07 AM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinxie
Hi
Thanx!

From the 1996 GM manual

"the PCMwill command low speed fans ON at 219F and OFF at 207F and, high speed ON at 228F and OFF at 214F"

....when relay 1 is energized both fans run in low speed, when all three relays are energized both fans run at high speed...

also fans run with a/c on

There are two fans, they are either both on or off, if on they run either low speed or high speed...

Get notified of new replies

To '96 cooling fans wont come on...ideas?

Quick Reply: '96 cooling fans wont come on...ideas?