C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

95 LTI will not start, electrical

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:50 PM
VolMan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95 LTI will not start, electrical

My 95 LTI coupe will not start. In recent past this has been a small problem, now perhaps a bigger one. I will explain as best as I can.

A few times, I will turn the key, I hear a clank (assuming that is the starter bendix engageing the flywhell), but nothing electrical works. When that happens, I open the hood, adjust the positive cable on the battery, the two hood lights come on, I know it has power, and the car starts.

Today, after several times trying, this did not work. I would adjust the positive cable, turn the key, no starter sound, and the electricals turn off. To test it, I would just turn the key midway (to turn on the dash lights etc). All of the electricals went off.

To get the car home, I jumped the battery. Well, it started. Going home I heard the whine over the radio that went and down with the RPM's, the volt meter was all over the place, and when the brake lights would engage, the dash lights dimmed.

Any ideas? I can provide more info if needed. I am looking for insight please on the original problem and if the jump may have caused a problem. The odd thing has that just turning the key over killed all of the dash lights and hood lights, eveything. I could go back and adjust the positive cable and light come one, tuen the key and the whole thing starts again. The only other finding is that the prior owner appears to have stripped the positive cable bolt. The battey is 2 years old or newer.

Thank you.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:02 AM
David-F
Drifting

The first thing you need to look at is the "+" battery cable the side mount batteries have a history of leaking at that cable so if ever in the past, battery acid would cause corrosion of the cable which can cause a poor connection and intermitten no start. Now there was also another problem with many of the 95 CCMs they had an internal problem that intermittenly you would get a quick click of the starter and then shut down of CCM control systems but in many of these cases turning the key off would reset it and then start. This could be something you maybe seeing but I suspect you have a cable corrosion problem.

David Fulcher
Old 04-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Carpenter
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good head's up Dave

Also, the Positive connection for all accessories are on a post behind the battery. Might want to check that for corrosion?

I might also suggest the GROUND. Not the battery ground, as such.....rather the chassis ground on the block.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:21 AM
kalister1
Drifting

If the battery connections are loose? That is your problem. Replace the suspect cable/connector and go from there.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:34 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

You need to invest in a cheap "Digital multimeter". They cost $15.00 and will check your battery, grounds and positive and negative connections.

The problem sounds like your main ground.

Also invest in a factory service manual (FSM) can be purchased from
www.helminc.com

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:33 PM
VolMan
Advanced

Default Thank you

Thanks everyone.

The gold star goes to Dave.

I pulled out the battery. Lots of fun using the vice grips to remove (prior owner had stripped that bolt) to remove positive cable, but it got done.

Upon inspection, yes, the metal connector on underside of the positive cable had been eaten away. It was crumbling and in several pieces.

So, the Saturday project is buying a new positive cable and new battery and replacing both. The battery (Excide) had a sticker date of July 05, but since it appears to be leaking - I will just replace while I have it out. I am boring, I will get a DieHard, but have used them for 30 years with never a problem.

Also, on reading the Helms manual there should be a battery insulator. That is not there, so I will purchase that as well.

The negative cable was fine. The connections to the fuse and other locations were fine.

The bad connection would explain the volt variance I believe and the cutoff upon turning the key.

Oh, I hate cutting the grass and would rather work on my car anyway. My 13yo daughter enjoys helping me with the Vette. Problem is, when I take her to the Vette parts place here in Atlanta, she always tries to talk me into buying one of the cheaper used Vettes for her 16yo sister. She almost talked me into a 77 Black Vette once.

Again thanks folks.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:12 PM
VolMan
Advanced

Default End of the Story - I Hope

Ok, guys.

As said before, David was correct. It was the positive battery cable.

Now, I am going to share what I did and why. I may deserve the "boob prize award" in what I did. I do wonder if I am OK with the solution I created (so far, yes). Opinions on that requested please.

I replaced the positive battery cable on my 95 LT1 (auto trans). Now this cable snakes around the back in a difficult manner. I could not get my hands in there to pull out the old cable, nor could I see it in some places.

Ok, what I did (and I know I get the shame award) I cut the positive cable connector assembly - its a 3 wire set, taped the exposed remaining cable end well with electrical tape, tucked it as neatly as possible out of the way, and taped it secure to a wire harness behind the engine. Likewise, with the connector to the starter, cut the connector, taped the end, tucked it away, and taped it secure.

I ran the new cable over the same path as best as I could (again, I just could not get my hand in to get the old one out). The new one approached the starter from its near front passenger side (old cable had a different angle) . I had to bend the connector a bit to get a fit. Jee whiz if the cable could have been 2-3 inches longer I could have had more cable routing options. I did place it around the metal heat protectors as much as possible and tried to get as much clearance from direct heat transfer issues as possible.

Now, the car runs fine. As best as i can tell, the new cable is OK. This car is my daily driver to work, its was Sunday evening, so I had to wrap this job up.

My question. Is this set up OK? My view is, whenever I do a future extensive job that takes off some hardware, with better access I can remove the old cable and reroute the new cable then. Otherwise, all seems well until then.

Am I correct in that thinking that? (remove old cable/reroute new one)can wait, or should I redo it now?

Thanks.

Darn, in my teens I was a good car mechanic. Just started again at 50. I must have really have lost my touch. Kinda of leary of doing the fuel injector clean, intake gasket replace job I wanted to do. If I cant do a battery cable job, I believe that I am going to have troubles doing the more complex jobs.

On this job, I would have been "in a world of s***" without my Helms books. It was how I figured out how to do the reroute.

Lastly, I finally had to get a "low boy" floor jack. It is great. Otherwise I could not get the car up on the ramps. I cant fit under there otherwise.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 LTI will not start, electrical

Quick Reply: 95 LTI will not start, electrical