C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Vortec Head / TPI base setup...Does anyone have power results yet??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2001, 08:43 PM
torchC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec Head / TPI base setup...Does anyone have power results yet??

For anyone who doesn't know, we can use Vortec heads on our TPI motors with the new intake base from Scoggin Dickey. They claim 300 hp with totally stock runners and plenum, and 375 hp with cam, rockers and injectors. It's got to be hot, but I won't take Scoggin' Dickey's word for the hp/torque gains. Any guinea pigs out there? If so, what cam? :chevy :chevy :chevy

[Modified by torchC5, 7:12 PM 10/20/2001]
Old 10-20-2001, 09:20 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Vortec Head / TPI base setup...Does anyone have power results yet?? (torchC5)

I can almost believe the 300 HP gain if its flywheelpower...at the rear wheels maybe 260? Littlemore or less?

Then again some people have claimed 300-325 Horses with a ZZ4 and TPI .

If they did design this New manifold for a 350 engine,unlike the original TPI that debut in 85 better suited for a 305 motor,its possible to see 350 horses from it.375 hp does sound a bit high even for a TPI eh?

Im wondering too if theres any guinea pigs in action yet too.
:)

Old 10-20-2001, 09:43 PM
torchC5
Instructor

Default Re: Vortec Head / TPI base setup...Does anyone have power results yet?? (torchC5)

Exactly what I was thinking. SDPC also claims that was with the stock computer AND throttle body. My "new to me" camaro L98 was advertised at 235 hp. If it's true, it seems uncorking all the plenum/runner/exhaust/ignition stuff with this intake/head setup would take this thing to about 350 flywheel hp with stock cam, and possibly 400 hp with the perfect cam/rocker/computer set up. IS IT POSSIBLE with Tuned Port Injection??? Oh, say it's so! :yesnod: :confused:
Old 10-20-2001, 11:15 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I think forum member Beach Bum has some of the best numbers to share when it comes to the TPI system.

If you havent read Dave Emanuals Book on small block chevy's,it has a good section on what kind of power numbers to be expected from a TPI but it covers the LT1 engines a little more in that chapter.

With ported and polished heads,2.02 valves,a cam,headers,high flow TPI,peak HP is about 350 horses.
Keep in mind High Flow is not the stock base intake or runners,theyre aftermarket that flow more.

However, SCDP is using the vortec set up, which may very well flow much better then L98 alloys or iron heads in stock form.
Im not exctly sure.Cylinder Head technology has come a long way since the 80's.

Have you seen the ram jet set up? It made or claims 350 ponies with that tiny cam...194/204 or something along those lines.(someone corect me if thats wrong info)

Its hard to say right now...ive been very curious if their Vortec set up is a much better flowing piece.
However, long tube runners,no matter how you look at it, just doesnt have the HP curve of a carb or miniram style,short runner set up.

But rem. this...if a TPI modifed can be made to make around 350 HP, the torque is going to be monstrously broad for a street car.

Thats why the Super Ram seems to be a favorite for 350 engines and 383 strokers that run TPI.
383's SR's like JD's car on here puts out nearly 450 ft lbs of torque!!

I think the Vortec design is simply a re thinking of the TPI and adapting it to fit those heads.
Id like to see a SR on top of that.
:)
Old 10-21-2001, 01:29 PM
88L98
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: Vortec Head / TPI base setup...Does anyone have power results yet?? (Bill's86Coupe)

vortec heads flow alot more than stock iron or aluminum L98 heads, even the D ports. i also want to know more about this combo, but i dont want to spend the money on it unless im sure it actually will give the results advertised.
Old 10-27-2001, 09:26 AM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have purchased the Scoggin-Dickey Manifold for the TPI.It is a quality piece but the injector bosses are huge so some work with a grinder will help flow a little.In my opinion by the time you take and spend the money to get the cast iron Vortech's ugraded with screw in studs and a spring upgrade,guide bosses cut down a person would be better off using the Edelbrock Etech 200 heads.Look at the flow numbers.They are a high velocity design not just a sewer pipe!
int/exh
100 67/57
200 122/110
300 175/153
400 223/182
500 252/196
600 259/204
700 265/207

[Modified by mountainmotor, 7:30 AM 10/27/2001]
Old 10-27-2001, 12:34 PM
Black 'n Blue
Drifting

Default Re: Vortec Head / TPI base setup...Does anyone have power results yet?? (mountainmotor)

Mountainmotor, do the runners in the sd intake appear similar in size to a
stock tpi intake, or did they design this as a high flow piece like the accel
or edelbrock intake?
Old 10-27-2001, 01:11 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Vortec Head / TPI base setup...Does anyone have power results yet?? (Black 'n Blue)

They are large diameter like Edelbrock and TPIS Big Mouth.When I did the gasket match some work was needed to the dividers as well as the "roof".One could certainly run this manifold as is .
Old 10-29-2001, 05:32 PM
85z51vette
Racer

Default Re: Vortec Head / TPI base setup...Does anyone have power results yet?? (mountainmotor)

This is awesome news! I am doing a budget engine swap in my '85 and had received the recommendation of using the 350 HO crate motor and bolting on one of these intakes. Lets see some numbers!
Old 10-29-2001, 06:59 PM
Red91C4
Instructor

I have sitting in my office floor even as I type this.....A scoggin-Dickey Vortec TPI base and a set of Aluminum "FAST BURN" vortec heads, they are part of my on going parts collection for my 91 6-speed. The heads are beautiful as I would expect from a GM Performance part with raised ports that measure 2.20 x 1.210. The Intake has 1.75 openings to the runners and the head ports are sized for the Iron Vortec head (about the same as a fel-pro 1205 gasket) so they need a little tweaking to match the Fast Burns.

Monte
But you can call me guinea pig :crazy:
Old 10-30-2001, 10:37 PM
importeater
Racer

Default Re: Vortec Head / TPI base setup...Does anyone have power results yet?? (Red91C4)

i think 350-375hp is very possible, 400 might be done with porting & a dyno to get everything dialed. the nice thing about the eldebrock base as well as this one is #1 they are cheaper #2 they finally fixed the roof height and made enough cross section to flow air. #3 when ported they can match the runner in a 160-170cc head pretty darn well. i plan on doing a ported L98 D-port, late head with the edelbrock base & should have a solid 380hp on a 355 with minor port work & a decent cam, zz9tpis or zz4gm. the really sweet thing about tpi setups is the air velocity. it just screams and it perfect for a nx express wet fogger. the air is moving so fast the danger is much lower than something like a lt-1 or miniram when you fog your engine. basically with NOS & some work on the engine you could be doing mid 12's all motor & mid 11's with reasonable NOS use & have a motor that is very street friendly. bottom end work is suggested :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Vortec Head / TPI base setup...Does anyone have power results yet??

Quick Reply: Vortec Head / TPI base setup...Does anyone have power results yet??