C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 l98 vs. cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Tpicruzin
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 l98 vs. cobalt SS

Girl at work with new cobaltSS with stage 2 pully kit was talking up her ride.

So we had to settle it.

My corvette has headers and stock motor, 3.07, auto, K&n, air pump delete, slp runners, high flow cat, muffler elims and my woman screaming for me to win. hehe
Old 05-28-2007, 03:38 PM
jonecap
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kewl
Old 05-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Staehling
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see a VS. thread posted AFTER a legal result has been obtained!!!

Old 05-28-2007, 03:41 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you crazy? You can't post a vs. thread and then actually race! You'll crash the forum!

Who won? I can't even see the finish lights. Sounds like a pedalfest. Did you run again?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Repzard
Safety Car

I think the Cobalt ss should have won to be honest with you.
I have one of those cobalt SS\SC and they are 13 car stock and with the stage 2 that car is a high 12 very low 13s car and put out 248 HP.

The only problem with the Cobalt SS is out of the dig, The car wheel hops and you have to let off or you will snap a axle but if you can stop the wheel from spinning and wheel hopping I would say BYE BYE Corvette

That race would have came down to the driver and for what I seen in that "crappy" video the Corvette won and think that has to do with the girl driving that Cobalt SS.

I think if you where racing a better driver that Cobalt would have beat you hands down I hate to say it.

I own both a 93 Corvette and my DD is a Cobalt SS\SC just to let you know and I love both cars so no bashing that im sticking up for the Cobalt but they are quick S.O.B s

If you look at my avatar that is the motor in the Cobalt SS\SC "LSJ"

Last edited by Repzard; 05-28-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:25 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Waiting for your 13 second timeslip Repzard. Or perhaps you just read it in a magazine.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Repzard
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Waiting for your 13 second timeslip Repzard. Or perhaps you just read it in a magazine.

I wish I did have a Time slip to show you CC.
I would love to take it to the track but I dont want to VOID out my warranty right now and bust up a axle them GM wont cover it and like I said its my DD.

I do go on the Cobaltss.net forum and have seen time slip on these cars doing mid 13s with stage 2 and some crazy 2.7 pulleys and meth injection.

But I think that Cobalt SS would have won with a better driver if that car indeed has a stage 2 kit.

I do truley believe this race would have came down to the drivers.
You can tell that Cobalt didnt have a good start because you can not get on them out of the hole, but you did noticed in the video for what we can see that Cobalt caught right up to that Corvette.

So really if driver were even who would have one
The Cobalt or the Corvette

CC dont doubt that car just because its a 4 banger vs a V8 todays cars can get big HP out of a 4 Banger

Last edited by Repzard; 05-28-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Tpicruzin
Heel & Toe

Yes she did have wheel hop. Yes stage 2 kit is on. That upgrade was put on just 2 days before. I ran a 14.4 in that vid not hooked up at all off the line. The cobalt was pulling up on me at the end of race. I thought she was going to beat me but we were more even than I thought. If I had heads, cam, intake manifold I dont see the cobalt beating me even with a good start. I think the cobalt would need something more for 12 sec range. IMHO it is mid 13 sec car at best.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:00 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Repzard
I would love to take it to the track but I dont want to VOID out my warranty right now and bust up a axle them GM wont cover it and like I said its my DD.
In that case your Cobalt isn't a 13 second car.

I do go on the Cobaltss.net forum and have seen time slip on these cars doing mid 13s with stage 2 and some crazy 2.7 pulleys and meth injection.
I thought you said high 12s with a stage 2 kit?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but please don't tell us what woulda/coulda/shoulda happened just because you have one, when you have zero experience racing it.

In the end 95% of drivers are all talk. These two put up and shut up and took it to the track. Respect that.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Repzard
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tpicruzin
Yes she did have wheel hop. Yes stage 2 kit is on. That upgrade was put on just 2 days before. I ran a 14.4 in that vid not hooked up at all off the line. The cobalt was pulling up on me at the end of race. I thought she was going to beat me but we were more even than I thought. If I had heads, cam, intake manifold I dont see the cobalt beating me even with a good start. I think the cobalt would need something more for 12 sec range. IMHO it is mid 13 sec car at best.

Yah those Cobalts really wheel hop bad" i know from owning one myself "
I hope she let off quick because she will be replacing axles real soon.

It was a good race for what I seen though.
Thanks for the thread Tpicruzin

Repzard
Old 05-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Repzard
Safety Car

In that case your Cobalt isn't a 13 second car.

its not , its a 14 ish car. I do no have any mods or stage 2.

So thats why I said it would have came down to the driver.

But if you put the stage 2 that GMPP offers it will bring that car easly in the 13s and push boost up to 15 lbs instead of 12.5 lbs.

I thought you said high 12s with a stage 2 kit?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but please don't tell us what woulda/coulda/shoulda happened just because you have one, when you have zero experience racing it.

In the end 95% of drivers are all talk. These two put up and shut up and took it to the track. Respect that.
Meant stage 3 sorry and thats not a GM kit

But I did see time slips of these Cobalts doing 12s with almost 300hp and CRAZY mods that I would never think on doing.

One thing I will tell you I rather drive my Corvette anyday

Last edited by Repzard; 05-28-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool, congrats on the win! What did you trap? And what did the SS ET and trap? Did you guys just make the one run?

Those Ecotechs are pretty neat motors. I'm glad GM finally has something impressive in the 4-banger range. The original 190hp Quad 4 was something, but they didn't really go anywhere with it. The Ecotech seems to really be going places in terms of advances, power, etc.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:17 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

its not , its a 14 ish car.

How do you know? Because you read it online / in a magazine? I think you're missing my point.

A few runs down the 1/4 won't hurt anything. If you're paranoid of breaking it, you'll never enjoy it.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Repzard
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aurora40

Those Ecotechs are pretty neat motors. I'm glad GM finally has something impressive in the 4-banger range. The original 190hp Quad 4 was something, but they didn't really go anywhere with it. The Ecotech seems to really be going places in terms of advances, power, etc.
GM never really did well in the 4 banger class.
I think they wanted to compete with the Honda-h of today.

And they finaly made a winner
Old 05-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Repzard
Safety Car

How do you know? Because you read it online / in a magazine? I think you're missing my point.

A few runs down the 1/4 won't hurt anything. If you're paranoid of breaking it, you'll never enjoy it.
But I need some new tires to start
It has P Zeros and they suck

GM is giving me free tires for the life of the car
So when I get my new tires I will run it in NH at least once.

It would be fun to see what it does

Last edited by Repzard; 05-28-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A guy I work with drives a Cobalt SS with a Stage 3 kit on it, claims he's got 330 HP. Stock for stock though, I can tell you my '85 is much faster. Sure his car is faster than mine now, but I didnt drop over $5000 in upgrades.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Repzard
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 4Ever21
Stock for stock though, I can tell you my '85 is much faster.
Id like to see the proof on that one

It wouldn't be MUCH faster hate to say , its a driver race stock for stock
And if it wasnt for the wheel hop because of the torque and being FWD I think the 1\4 times would be better for the Balt a little bit.
Id say its pretty even no offense 4Ever21.
The stock tires on the Balt suck ***

1\4 mile times

07 Cobalt SS\SC stock = 14.4 -inline 4 -2.0 liter S\C
85 Corvette Stock=14.1 - V8 - 5.7 liter

Last edited by Repzard; 05-28-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 85 l98 vs. cobalt SS

Old 05-28-2007, 07:38 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurora40
Cool, congrats on the win! What did you trap? And what did the SS ET and trap? Did you guys just make the one run?

Yeah, I had a 1991 Olds Calais International HO Quad 4. It was stock 190hp. Back in the day, there wasnt many 4 bangers that could touch me. In fact, My friend had a 1989 Mustang GT with the AOD tranny. He couldnt touch me. And the cool thing was, it the nicest leather seats I have ever had in a car, and it loved to rev, and blow head gaskets.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:55 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

when I get my new tires I will run it in NH at least once.

It would be fun to see what it does
You'll need more like 20 runs to even get to whatever the car's potential is. The first time out you'll run far worse than both of those cars, probably a 15sec pass. Then you'll realize the difference between magazine rack fantasy land and reality.

Also all street tires suck for traction on the street.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:58 PM
madman91
Burning Brakes

what site am i on? let all face the facts here, 1: the cobalt is not a sports car, 2: the corvette IS a sports car, 3: tell me the last time you had someone drooling over a cobalt, 4: how much was the corvette purchased for (8k-12k) compared to the cobalt (20k-25k), 5: the cobalt was talkin $#!* and lost the race (i believe the fast and the furious quote was by an inch or a mile...) and yes it hurt me to quote that!
so let it go about the stupid cobalt, IT LOST. game over. if we put 5k into our vettes and ran them that stupid cobalt would be broken down at the line . my brother in law has one and i kill him every time. look at the whole picture (apples to apples). with the vette your starting out on a way higher playing field

Quick Reply: 85 l98 vs. cobalt SS