C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Your opinion on 1.6 Roller Rockers please...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:05 PM
dan0617
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Your opinion on 1.6 Roller Rockers please...

I am looking at Summit's 1.6 RR's, as they fit my budget nicely. Will I get much more HP or torque by going with the full roller rockers ($159) over the roller tip rockers ($90)? I'm keeping the stock valve springs for now. Also, will I need guide plates for either one? I've been told guideplates are needed for full rollers but not roller tip only.

Forgot to mention.....'89 L98 engine with hooker headers and true dual exhaust the only major modification so far.

Last edited by dan0617; 05-30-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:18 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On your 1989 you will need the narrow self aligning rockers. I would get the aluminum 1.6 full RR's for maximum HP. Also go to GM Perf. Parts and buy a set of 16 LT4 springs and retainers. If you buy the proper RR's you WILL NOT need guide plates or hardened rods. Put that money in full RR's.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

For me, I would not put expensive rockers on a high mileage engine unless I had a lot of extra money or wanted to compete in racing. Who knows when the engine will need a rebuild, and the money saved would be best spent then on parts. The gain between a roller 1.6 and non-roller 1.6 would be very minor. There are roller tips for $60. Also I would never pay the extra $50ish for narrow body rockers unless I could not grind on the valve covers myself. If you get self aligning rockers you do not need guide plates. I would definetly replace the stock springs though! There are upgraded springs for a very minor cost. The stock springs are twenty years old now and may have many tens of thousands of miles on them. If I thought the engine would hold up a long time and see a lot of RPM then I would use better rockers.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Ask them who manufactures them and then report back.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:28 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

There is not a lot of power to be gained by going to a roller fulcrum in a near stock engine. The advanrage to the swap is in the ratio. Your original rockers are self aligning. If the new rockers are self aligning, there is nothing else you NEED to make them work. If you change to non-self aligning rockers, you will NEED push rod guide plates and hardened push rods. Better springs are highly recommended.

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Your opinion on 1.6 Roller Rockers please...

Quick Reply: Your opinion on 1.6 Roller Rockers please...