C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help with Fitment - TPIS Intake, Edelbrock Runner, and SVO Injector

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:55 AM
ramiles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Fitment - TPIS Intake, Edelbrock Runner, and SVO Injector

Am upgrading the stock 1986 TPI induction to TPIS Big Mouth Manifold, Edelbrock runners and a ported plenum and using new 24# SVO injectors.

On the driver side, #5 cylinder (3rd back), the forward side of the runner (larger than stock now) bumps up against the back side of injector when you try to bolt on the runners. There is a small relief cast into the runner for this injector, but in the case of this motor, it appears to still have about an 1/8 inch unresolved fitment problem.

After loosening the fuel rail and releasing the injector from its port, was then able to start all the runner bolts. When everything was tightened down the runner directly contacts and pushes the injector and moves it forward slighlty from center in the injector port of the manifold. Don't know if the lower injector O ring will prevent an air leak or wonder what the long term effect (harm?) may be to the injector with this constant force.

Did a forum search here and on 3rd gen to see if there were known issues with the Edelbrock high flow runners and the TPIS base or with the runners and the SVO injectors. Didn't find anything.

Right now am considering grinding additional relief into the runner but there isn't much to work with.

Anybody have a similar problem? Any good solution to recommend? Anyone running SVO injectors with a TPIS Big Mouth? What runners fit?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:40 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Can you take any pics?That would help alot.
I have not seen the edlebrock runners online for years,just the ASM or other styles.Im unsure if you mean the flat gasket part that the runners are welded to or if a runner tube itself is hitting the injector after its bolted in.

Pics would be great...or maybe someone here with those runners knows exactly what you mean and has the fix for it.Havent seen them runners posted before though.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:03 AM
jmrl98
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread has a pic of the runners

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1722977

I'm not sure what to tell ya - it's the old "raise the bridge or lower the water" thing...
Old 06-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Staehling
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Go back to thirdgen and try searching on edelbrock tpi/3860 manifold...I think there are some good posts about injector positioning and sealing bolts...
Old 06-07-2007, 08:24 PM
rel3rd
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Oddly enough, I had clearance issues on cylinders number 2 and number 5 of my Edelbrock base/SLP runner/stock injector setup, but it was cured when I swapped to the Ford/Bosch 24# injectors, since they were/are shorter than my stock 24#ers were.

If your Ford/Bosch 24#ers are hitting, then you probably have no alternative but to clearance the runners themselves. I definitely would not run with a side load on the injector. IMO, it is asking for problems...best scenario a vacuum leak, worst scenario a fire....not worth the risk.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:58 AM
rons85
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of the Edelbrock runners on an SDPP TPI/Vortec base manifold. #24 Ford injectors. No clearance issues with all of that, although the manifold to runner gasket fitup is fussy. I've also had a set of #19 lb (don't ask..) "OEM" injectors in this with no assembly problems.

There is plenty of room around all of the injectors. It is necessary with this Base manifold to remove the fuel rails entirely before Stock TPI runners can be rotated into place (with valve covers on), but the Edelbrock runners will go on/off with the fuel rails just loosened up and lifted a smidge.

I had to modify (razor) a set of Accel large port gaskets to get a (hopefully and So Far) good seal at the manifold/runner matchup - SDPP gaskets (which appear to be made by TPIS) were terrible, The Accel's were my second choice - I haven't seen anyone else's stuff.

I had a set of Stock runners on this manifold, briefly, and had to use a set of Stock gaskets (fel pro) to get a seal - the ports in the base manifold are Way larger than the bores in the stock runners...

BTW - the little clip on the top center plenum bolt that holds the throttle and cruise cables does not work with the Edelbrock runners...

I'd guess that the clearance problem you have with the injectors is more the fault of the Manifold casting and machining than it is the runners, although that doesn't help you make it all work.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:52 AM
ramiles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to provide an update and say thanks for everyone's ideas and sharing of thier experience with these runner installs. We ended up grinding additional material around the existing relief cast into the runner. Had to use some JB Weld when we took off a bit too much. Started engine and all seems to work OK now - see pic below. Was unable to get any reply yet from Edelbrock on their Tech 800 line or via email.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Wow,thats way to close for comfort.IS there any chance you had the runners on the wrong side of the engine?It has happened before,and seems more common with aftermarket stuff.

The runners will still fit but be off somewhat here and there,usually causing a vacuum leak someplace if it is.

I still feel that with edelbrock runners,they should fit perfect with no work needed.Hope they can help ya out.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Fitment - TPIS Intake, Edelbrock Runner, and SVO Injector

Quick Reply: Help with Fitment - TPIS Intake, Edelbrock Runner, and SVO Injector