C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Drag radials and twisties????

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:40 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Drag radials and twisties????

Drove about 180 miles today to a Corvette Show at Roscoe Village.....took the nice scenic route with some good twisties...went with the BFG drag radials on the rear...put 35 psi all around in the tires

pushed it a little..car felt really good......

So I know drag radials are for straightline, but pumped up to 35psi they felt pretty good.....I was on the public highway so I didn't push real hard, just enough for a little safe fun...

So the stupid question of the day is, has anyone tried drag radials as an autocross tire....or at least for some aggressive road driving?

Old 06-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

I've heard of folks that have run the Nitto DR on all four corners for auto-X. Now they make a variation on it more suited for that purpose though. I've used them in the rear for auto-X and ran them on the street for quite awhile. But they just got too expensive for that. But for handling on all of the twisty roads around here, they were fine. I've never tried the BFG DRs. They're supposed to work better than the Nittos straight ahead but not quite as good for overall handling. Sounds like your experience wasn't too bad though. The scariest thing about any of them is if you get caught in the rain. They all suck for that.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:57 PM
etown brawler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the m/t et street radial they hook better then Hyde flice .i also think the car corners and hold the road better with them on the back at higher speeds .cant get the rear to slide out ,like i could with the Goodyear's.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:31 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had BFG drag radials in past, which i used to drive 130 miles one way to track with 35 psi without any problem. but no twisties just freeway and street though.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:08 AM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

I forgot to mention they are 175/35-18, so they are very low profile & short sidewall....
Old 06-11-2007, 10:10 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4BUD
So the stupid question of the day is, has anyone tried drag radials as an autocross tire....or at least for some aggressive road driving?
no, but nitto has the other 555 offering w/the stiffer sidewall for r.racing, which I believe is the same compund.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:19 AM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bud, I've lost track. Have you had it to the track with the DR's yet?

I really want to get to the track and I think Sam would go. His vette is still a few weeks away, but this is hot season anyway.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:06 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LT-4 CE
Bud, I've lost track. Have you had it to the track with the DR's yet?

I really want to get to the track and I think Sam would go. His vette is still a few weeks away, but this is hot season anyway.
No.....either it has been hot, or raining, or I have been working...

I wanted to go when it was really cool.....or I should say cold..

but another thing I have noticed in some recent ads is that some of the ultra-high performance tires are not recommended for cold weather...

and I did light up the drag radials pretty easy this winter on a real cold day..so maybe cool night is the right thing to do

So have you had your new ride to the track yet..

Old 06-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

There are drag tires, autox tires, and road race tires, plus normal street tires. From what I know about DR's it would not be a good idea to use them on the road or in autox. You can do so but the tire is not best suited to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Drag radials and twisties????

Quick Reply: Drag radials and twisties????