C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tuned vs Not-Tuned Headers ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:42 AM
Ruff Rider
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuned vs Not-Tuned Headers ???

Yes it's another header question, & Yes I did a search....

1. Can some one explain to me what a Tuned Header is ???

2. are they better then a Un-Tuned Header ???

3. If so, then why ???

thank You................
Old 06-12-2007, 01:45 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

A tuned header has equal length primary tubes.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:50 AM
lite blue
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Racers have always made a big deal about tuned header lengths. And with a race engine that sees limited RPM variance, it is probably worthwhile.
Interestingly, primaries that vary might be better on the street. Each one will be tuned to a little different RPM, and therefore work better over a wider RPM range.
Course, the problem has always been that people want what the racers use, not what really works better on the street. Tri-Y headers are a perfect example. Ever since racers started using four-into-one collectors, that's what has sold best. Even though tri-y actually works better for low end power. Which is exactly what you need, on the street.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:14 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dont waste your money, youll notice 0 difference.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:02 AM
Ruff Rider
Racer

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Don't waste your money, you'll notice 0 difference.
I was just curious what the difference was.....
I plan on going with a 2800 stall instead of headers.....
Old 06-12-2007, 03:38 AM
OTS_UFN
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Much can be argued on this topic.

Heres my viewpoint.

An internal combustion engine is nothing more than an air pump.
The easier air flows through it the more effecient it is. Always work from the back of the exaust system forward. Remember, you can't put 10 LB in a 5 LB bag. You have to match what comes in the front end to what shoots out the back end. From my expriance a tuned exhaust is one where exhaust gases are scavanged out (sucked out) based on the exhaust valve timing, causing pulses that pull burned gases out of the combustion chamber when the piston is on the exaust upstroke. A properly "tuned exhaust" or header is one that is calibrated to the exhuast pulses of the engine.

Thats about as detailed as I can get now. A basic "how it works" thang.

This would be a critical concern an a compitition car, maybe a street racer. Probley not if you are doing a street car.

just my observation, wait; I got 2 cents!!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:28 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by OTS_UFN
Much can be argued on this topic.

Thats about as detailed as I can get now. A basic "how it works" thang.
You forgot one VERY important factor. The tuning of a particular engine, especially a given displacement, takes place within a narrow RPM range. You totally ignored engine speed in your discourse. The exhaust tuning is done to optimize the scavenging at a specific engine speed.

RACE ON!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:46 AM
JimMel
Instructor

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
You forgot one VERY important factor. The tuning of a particular engine, especially a given displacement, takes place within a narrow RPM range. You totally ignored engine speed in your discourse. The exhaust tuning is done to optimize the scavenging at a specific engine speed.

RACE ON!!!

If you look at a few different types of engines... starting with a 1 cylinder racing motocross bike, exhaust tuning is EXTREMELY important. Without it, half the fresh mixture goes straight out the tailpipe. With it, you can double the horsepower, in a very narrow rpm range.

Very important on a drag race motor too, primary size and length, and collector size and length play a big role in the engines power and power band.

Even a nascar engine, running between 7500 and 9500 rpm with a partial exhaust and no mufflers, finds considerable power in exhaust tuning.

Stick on a full exhaust, mufflers, cats, and an expactation for the engine to behave from idle to redline, and (lack of) backpressure matters a lot more than any "tuning."

Get notified of new replies

To Tuned vs Not-Tuned Headers ???

Quick Reply: Tuned vs Not-Tuned Headers ???