C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Problem solved, no more leaks and Turn One steering pump installed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Problem solved, no more leaks and Turn One steering pump installed.

Ok, after some problems with the power steering system developing a leak due to a Track day here are the final results.

Problem was a broken Oring on pressure hose that goes from PS Pump to gear.
I got a Turn one pump to solve the problem for good.
Still had a big leak in the PS pressure hose going to the pump.
Well, it was a very tiny crack in the metal part of the hose! It drove me crazy and when I replaced the hose the leak was gone.

Now that I have everything assembled took the Vette for a twisty road test drive yesterday.
I can say that Turn One pump feels a little bit harder on the steering input when going at low RPM's and it feels right at high speeds, sometimes a little bit on the soft side but good.

I am waiting for the next Track day for the final test. But so long, so good, it seems like the PS Pump from Turn one steering will be the solution to the problem.

Just a note, it is amazing that an imperceptible crack at the end of the hose can result in a huge leak. If you still have a leak check very carefully the hose with a magnifying glass and maybe use some dye first so the crack is more visible.

Now that the car runs fine again I want to thank the great advise received from forum members!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:19 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I broke 3 hoses there. Yes it causes a mess. I now have a DRM hose and Turn one pump with no more problems.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

I got the Turn one pump ; Jeff was very helpful on this.
I knew that DRM hose would be the best, but I did not get any response from Doug Rippie, and could not find that hose in their web site, so I bought a hose from Rock auto.
Hope the hose will not blow now that I have the modified pump!
Old 07-03-2007, 12:24 AM
jakers
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default New pump

My new Turn One pump is sitting on the work bench. I have no really exciting plans for July 4th so I will finally get to work on my car... Been doing everything but tending to my baby. I have a backlog of parts to put on my car! Time to get it done. NOw I just need AC in the garage. It is getting hotter than hell in Georgia.

SO should I get a DRM hose?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

A lot of forum members involved in Track days have told that failures usually happen at hose level, they tend to break because of all the extra pressure and temperature related to racing. So they usually suggest changing the hose for a DRM line and of course the Turn one pump as the base of bullet proof steering system.
Well, maybe that was to much, let's say more reliable system.

Anyway, if you can get your hands on a DRM line I suggest you do because the work will be the same and you will probably be troublefree for a while.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:42 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Just an FYI, if your car didn't come with a cooler, install one, or you'll blow a hose for sure.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem solved, no more leaks and Turn One steering pump installed.

Quick Reply: Problem solved, no more leaks and Turn One steering pump installed.