C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to lower the seats in a '96??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 08:52 PM
powerslide91
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to lower the seats in a '96??

Hey all,

I would like to find a way to lower the driver seat on my '96 with the sport seats. I already have the seat as low as the electric adjustment range will go. A while back I remember a thread on this forum that it might be possible to use manual seat rails to drop the seat. Does anyone have any experience doing something like this, either with GM or aftermarket parts?

I'd really like to keep using the sport seats, but need to be more square to the wheel.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-28-2001, 11:06 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: How to lower the seats in a '96?? (powerslide91)

Dont have the answer your looking for but I heard GM made those later model C4 seats sit higher then the older ones to ease the entry and exit out of the car a little better.
(I doubt it worked anyways)

The seats are held on by 4 bolts and their brackets.Its possible that lower track and bracket is taller then previous model years.
Some time back,I read somewhere a guy had those brackets cut and shortened then re-welded back to drop the seat a little closer to the floor.
But I dont know if thats safe to do,ie: in an accident,the welds can seperate or something.

Anyways maybe someone can answer the q's directly about the manual track.

Old 10-28-2001, 11:51 PM
MinnesotaWhite
Le Mans Master

Hey Power, I know where you are coming from...I'm 6'2" and I've banged the old noggin on the roof with a good bump here and there.

A way to gain about 1 to 1.5" of extra head room is to remove the straps under the seat cushion. There is a wire under the seat in the front of the seat that all you need to do is lift it over a little lip...and you can remove the entire bottom cushion.

Take out the two straps you see there and put the cushion back...voila...extra room!

I have to do that when I put a helmet on for the track...otherwise I don't fit!
Old 10-29-2001, 02:06 PM
FrankLT4CE
Racer

I replaced the power seats in my 96 with manual seat rails to save weight not for additional headroom, which has never been a problem for me even though I'm 6'3". I have not noticed any change but again I wasn't looking for any change other than weight savings. If you don't care about front to back adjustment, and would be satisfied with locking your driver's seat into one position I would recommend that you find a welding or fabrication shop that could fabricate two brackets out of say 3/16 inch thick steel about one inch wide that would offer a lower alternative than the manual seat rails. I predict that you could pick up an extra 1/2 inch this way. Buying a manual rail might be a good guide for this shop to work from. Good luck. FrankLT4CE
Old 10-29-2001, 07:59 PM
powerslide91
Instructor

Default Re: How to lower the seats in a '96?? (FrankLT4CE)

Hummm, maybe no change in height huh? Thanks for that info, you might be right, maybe the best path is to do some home fab work...

Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To How to lower the seats in a '96??

Quick Reply: How to lower the seats in a '96??