C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Coupes vs C4 Convertibles - Chassis Flex

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:25 AM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Default C4 Coupes vs C4 Convertibles - Chassis Flex

I have a coupe. I know lots of people that have coupes. One of the things that coupe owners talk about is the way our coupes feel when we take the targa top out - the descriptions range from mild symptoms of less than stellar chassis regidity to tales of feeling like the center of the frame was rotating about an axis (and it's right under you!).

My experience is about in the middle - when the top is removed, I can feel it in the steering column, as it picks up this very odd horizontal oscillation at low speeds, and just moves a lot when encountering rough pavement. The car also complains by generating more squeaks and rattles. Railroad crossings become a real adventure, as the car seemingly flexes through them rather than driving over them.

Here's what I want to know - do you convertible driver's contend with the same thing? Does your car flex and move around? Do you get significant cowl shake and movement of the steering column?

I know that convertibles got some additional bracings (primarily the cross brace under the car). However, there are coupe owners that have purchased not only the cross brace, but the camber brace, and the targa bar. These items usually help, but don't cure, the problem.

This is a concern of mine because a friend of mine is on a quest to obtain a convertible C4 or C5. I don't want to recommend a C4 vert if it's gonna feel like the automotive equivalent of the Straw Man.

I'd appreciate your feedback - both coupe owners that may have gotten their flexure under control, and convertible owners that can shed some light on the vehicle's characteristics compared to the targa-less coupe!

Thanks,
Steven
Old 07-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 92 vert and I installed R&D racing camber brace and cross bar. These two items solved my "wobble problem" when stuck in uneven pavement and railroad crossings. But the nice thing is the more constant footprint the camber brace allows in auto crossing. Now let's be realistic, the C5 is better than our beloved C4 when it comes to stiffness and handling. It's just that the C4 looks better.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:46 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been in some coupes and my vert has less flex with the HARDTOP installed than the coupes do with their roof panel installed.

Mike
Old 07-01-2007, 01:24 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by aboatguy
I've been in some coupes and my vert has less flex with the HARDTOP installed than the coupes do with their roof panel installed.

Mike
How do you think your vert compares to the coupes when you're driving with the top down?
Old 07-01-2007, 03:19 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan
How do you think your vert compares to the coupes when you're driving with the top down?

Probably about the same. After driving with the hardtop on the car doesn't feel as good with the roof off. However, before the winter installation of the top it seems to handle fine.

What I am trying to say is I'd bet that even with the top off of a coupe or an open vert (handle well, but they handle better buttoned up, since it only takes minutes for the change the driver notices the difference...) So I don't believe that either of them are ever wet noodles especially when compared to their contemporaries (other 80s and 90s cars.)

I know that when I am lifting my car even with the x-brace removed its stiff enough that I usually have all four corners off the ground when I'm installing the 3rd jackstand.

Mike
Old 07-01-2007, 07:00 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another small point. Somewhere around 94 they removed the heavy registration pins at the top of the doors & on the inside B pillar. That couldn't have helped anything besides the bottom line cost. My 92 coupe has them and feels stiff enough with or without the targa installed that I've never noticed any flex.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:40 AM
MFS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the tops off, my 93 vert seems to have less flex than my 90 ZR1.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:00 AM
etown brawler
Racer

on my 91 vert if i would go up my drive way slow it would twist so much the interior light would come on .i tried taking off the x brace to see if it really helps it was the same crap .it was driving me crazy so i boxed the stock x brace and it was a heck of a lot better but still the light would come on if i went up a curb sideways but not as often as before .i ended up jacking the car up and you would not believe how loose some of the chassis bolts where and the k-frame bolts.i went from front to back and torqued all the nuts and bolt .it was like night and day the car felt stiffer no more light flashing .the biggest problem on my car was the front k-frame every bolt was loose and that's ties the 2 frame rails together my car only had 50k miles on it ,and has never been driven in the winter ,i never thought with that few miles on it ,it would have so many loose bolts.

Last edited by etown brawler; 07-02-2007 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:49 AM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

With the open air AFSB installed the flex is gone, perhaps more rigid than the fiberglass top. It's basically a T-Top as originally designed.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:59 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My top has been off my '93 twice. I don't like the way it feels with the top off (shudders). My '85 rode the same with the top on or off. Weird.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:48 AM
bdahl
Cruising

Hmmm, Ive driven with my top off for months at a time in my 86. If my car has been "flexing" i guess im just an idiot and dont notice.

I don't think my car flexes much as far as i know, is it like the whole body flexes for you guys or what?

-bdahl
Old 09-27-2007, 09:37 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't notice much flex at all in my 87 coupe with the top off...which is mostly all the time...weather permitting.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Strick
I have a 92 vert and I installed R&D racing camber brace and cross bar. These two items solved my "wobble problem" when stuck in uneven pavement and railroad crossings. But the nice thing is the more constant footprint the camber brace allows in auto crossing. Now let's be realistic, the C5 is better than our beloved C4 when it comes to stiffness and handling. It's just that the C4 looks better.
You have better times with the camber brace then without it?

I notice a huge difference in flex with the targe off.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:11 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 12 years, I have had the top out a few times. The first time I ever removed it I thought something was broken but the dealer said the vibration is normal since the car is considerably more flexible without the targa. To me, the vibration is most noticeable when you have the targa in for quite some time and then decide to take it out on a nice day. That first few minutes with it out is an adventure and you tend to really notice the vibration and oscillation. But after a few days I got used to it.

Doug
Old 09-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
You have better times with the camber brace then without it?
That's a hard one to say as the courses change every time you go. But I did move up the list of the fastest times. I was just about middle of the pack and then moved up several positions with the camber brace and cross bar. BUT, my experience and skills got better, too. The Vette seems to stick better with the add ons.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:28 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed a camber brace in my '96 coupe, and noticed a substantial decrease in steering-wheel shake with the top off.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Coupes vs C4 Convertibles - Chassis Flex

Quick Reply: C4 Coupes vs C4 Convertibles - Chassis Flex