C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

power window repair - motor works no motion

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:23 AM
woody1243
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power window repair - motor works no motion

I just did the fix on my power windows, the motor worked but the windows did not got up and down or were very slow.
On the new style motors 85-87 are vertical push up and down not the scissor type, there is a window regulator tape as they call it. I bought the repair kit from a known Vette shop and turns out it is from HELP products, part number 74413 and is marked for Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth. I talk about this because you may be able to get it cheaper at you local auto parts store. I first started by removing the door panel and the inner door panel, this is an insert of the main door panel help in by about 8 small head screws and 2 10mm bolts. Once this is accomplished, pop the linkages from the plastic sliders on the removable panel, twist the plastic carriers and remove them so they don't get lost. then slide the inner door panel down enough so you can get the top out from the outer door panel. Towards the rear is the linkage for the door handle that also goes to the power door lock mechanism, it is black and crimped closed to hold the linkage and pivot. Open this up to free the linkage as well release the door lock plunger from this pivot. You can then slide the inner door panel up and out. I then moved the window up to about half way up to access the window bolts (3) the smallest goes to the front. I then removed the window starting with the back, there are slots in the door panel for the window bolts to go thru and working my way to the front. The front has the stop on it(a big rubber piece) that will fit thru the slot in the door also. With the window removed I then removed the power window assembly bolts, 2 on top, in on inside door panel and 2 on underneath the door. Tilt the assembly so the bolts in the top of the door are inside turn the assembly so the top goes to the back of the car and the front goes from the bottom of the door to the top, you should then be able to slide he upper portion of the assembly out and then pull the rest of the motor out, don't forget to disconnect the power plug to the motor. With the assembly out, I drilled out the two rivets on top of the assembly, you will know where they are located because it is the bracket that goes to the top of the door. Remove the allan head screw from the white plastic window carrier. You can now remove the carrier and the thick round bar from the assembly. At this point I drilled out the rest of the rivets to clear the holes for the new rivets in both parts. At this point a spare battery and some alligator type jumpers come in handy. I used a motorcycle battery and some alligator type jumpers and moved the motor to get the rest of the white plastic ribbon off of the metal channel. The motor travels in both directions so if it is going the wrong way just reverse the leads. It is good if you make a note which leads will move the motor to the down position for loading the new ribbon on later. Once the ribbon is removed clean the track and the this bar of old grease(gummy black junk usually) from all the parts including the window slider bar(the big thick one) and don't forget the inside holes of the window slider, where the big bar slides. Lube all tracks and sliders with a good silicon spray lube. Now for the window tape, it is longer than you need, measure from the top of the round piece down, it should only need to be between 22 1/2 to 23 inches long for proper operation. After cutting lube all sides of the new tape. Feeding it on is pretty easy but be careful not to break off any of the plastic holders. Once it gets down to the motor is again where the battery comes in handy. I just guided the ribbon on the track with one hand and controlled power to the motor with the other. Be very careful when you get to the top round piece so that you don't break the plastic guides off. Now you just need to put the the thick bar and window carrier together on the assembly, Don't forget to lube and install the plastic bushing into the ribbon assembly before you put in the allan screw. Now you just need to put in the rivets that hold the window carrier and the motor drive assembly. The worst is now over. Now you just need to reverse the take apart for reassembly. This is also a good time to replace the outer window sweep if you need to.
Window adjustment is pretty easy, I just powered the window all the way up and checked alignment before actually closing the door. It's only those three bolts on the window for alignment.
Total time to do the job right was about 4 hours with friends stopping by and phones per door.

suggested tools:
battery source
2 alligator jumpers
allan wrenches
10mm socket
11mm socket
1/4 inch socket
#2 phillips screwdriver
drillmotor and drills
pop rivet gun(rivets come with kit)
good silicon lube

Best of luck,