C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

X-Brace interference with headers on a vert?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 04:55 PM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default X-Brace interference with headers on a vert?

I am shopping for longtube headers and am probably gonna go with Hooker Supercomps. Do any of you convertible owner have these on your car? I am curious as to the fit around the x-brace.

Thanks

Bob
Old 10-31-2001, 05:01 PM
SpedRacr93
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: X-Brace interference with headers on a vert? (BobMachus)

I put them on a 91 vert. no problems with the headers themselves, but the pipes were low enough that they laid on the X brace to mate up to the headers. But they never made any vibration noises though.
Old 10-31-2001, 06:52 PM
traxx1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 89 vert as you do and am wondering if you have ever had any problem with the stock exhaust banging against the x brace? mine sometimes gets a banging sound and it feels like it could be the x brace hitting the exhaust pipes.

:jester :jester :jester
Old 10-31-2001, 07:15 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I have the Hookers on my 90 vert. No clearance probs with the X-brace, but a bunch of other items had to be tweeked.

Perhaps this will help: http://www.corvetteforum.cc/reviews/...194&TopicID=14
Old 10-31-2001, 07:37 PM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Default Re: X-Brace interference with headers on a vert? (traxx1)

Traxx,
Yeah my exhaust hits the X-brace, check and tighten all the little mounting backets. One at tranny, one at diff and 1 at each muffler. By adjusting these you may be able to tighten/tweak your exhaust enough to stop it.

Flame Red,
Did you do your own install? Was that review yours? If so I might have a few ???'s for you.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 11-01-2001, 03:24 AM
john25
Pro

I just installed some Hooker Super Comps on my '88 conv. The left side went in ok with a little "persuasion". The right side took alot of it. The right side header was right up against the brace that comes back from the front frame crossmember. Some heating, bending and dimpling took care of that side. I also had to dimple quite a few tubes to get a thin wall socket on the bolts to tighten them. To put back the brackets from the a/c compressor and alternator was also quite fun. As for the x-brace I made a template and cut up some 3/8" spacers to go between the mounting pad and brace up front. I did this before the header install as my car's stock exhaust was very close to the x-brace. Part of my problem was sagging motor mounts. Replacing them raised my motor up about 3/8" too. The instructions from the headers tell you that it will be a PITA to install them but that the end result will be worth it. I'll know soon. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:50 AM
TexCorvette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: X-Brace interference with headers on a vert? (john25)

anyone know where I can buy an X brace for my coupe? Almost had a deal here, but is other buyer came through? It it makes a big improvement on a vert., should have some on a coupe.

Get notified of new replies

To X-Brace interference with headers on a vert?

Quick Reply: X-Brace interference with headers on a vert?