C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake Transmission Shift Interlock Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:43 AM
VolMan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Transmission Shift Interlock Solenoid

Hello gang. After physical review of the shifter lever (95 Lt1 coupe with 170K miles) and my best review of the Helms manuals, I believe my problem might be the Brake Transmission Shift Interlock Solenoid. (BTSI) I would like to provide more details of the symptoms and ask for opinions on my conclusions. As always, advice welcomed.

My initial symptom was the inability to shift the transmission lever from park (with foot on the brake and engine running). I removed the shift **** and the console trim plate and console door lid. I looked around in the area.

The cables seem correct and there was nothing blocking the linkages. A little bit of white stuff on the notch and pin on the plate at the "park" notch on the driver side of the lever.

I am assuming the BTSI is what I saw on the driver side on the shift lever, its black, with white plastic plunger at the bottom. This device is attached with a electrical connector on its left, and is on the left side console wall. Has pink painted dots on it and the linkages that seem to relate to it.

Now, I can get the lever to now move from park (with foot on brake and engine running) by laying a bar across the now bare shift rod (where the **** and button normally are) and pressing down very hard. The lever metal linkages moves OK then in all positions and the BTSI solenoid extends out when I do this. When I return the lever to park, I must lay the ratchet over lever again and press down hard again to move from park.

My question are:

1. Is the BTSI bad?
2. Is the lever bad?
3. Does it just need grease? What kind please?

Any thoughts? This is my daily driver, so not only do I like driving the car, I need the car to get around to work and such.

Also, in my first search I could not find a BTSI replacement part. Any ideas on how much a replacement is?

I will try to test the BTSI fuse first, number 21 according to Helms. Also, will check the electrical connector. Another problem is that I cannot really see how the BTSI is removed? The Helms manual was not specfic (section 8A) nor could I see screws or bolts. It looks like a perm install with rivets

Thanks for your time, and TIA for any feedback.

Last edited by VolMan; 07-19-2007 at 02:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake Transmission Shift Interlock Solenoid