C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power Window Ribbon Replacement in an 85

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:28 PM
GFelix
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Window Ribbon Replacement in an 85

I bought my 85 a few months ago and the passenger window ribbon was busted and 2 days ago my driver ribbon went. I am ok with the fact both went about the same time. They are the original ribbons 22 years old and my baby gets hot being all black

My issue is that I got the replacement ribbon for both doors and took my passenger window door apart per the instructions I was sent for replacing it. When we got to the step of puling the old ribbon I found the blocker has been welded on in my car. This is true for the driver side as well. Anyone have ideas on a work around for this or do I need to break the weld and I guess reweld it?

Thanks
G
Old 07-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I have never heard of this, have you tried pulling it out the side on the bottom, that is what I did, had to give the motor some juice I think, though it has been awhile.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:56 PM
GFelix
Navigator

The motors work, we tried running it all the way up and all the way down. There is no room to shift the rail and motor. We tried

The instruction that MidAmerica sent with the ribbon show that piece as detached and you just run the ribbon straight off the top.

I ordered a Chilton's guide so I will see what it says when it arrives. I am just wondering if I had missed something obvious

G
Old 07-19-2007, 03:10 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't see how it'd go in from the top, I recall mine the track was welded onto a bracket up there.

I would just send the parts back and get some newer style regulators. Those ribbon mechanisms are fragile and too slow. I was ready to replace one when I saw it had already been replaced once before. Tearing into the doors isn't much fun.

http://webpages.charter.net/khasting...windowreg.html
Old 07-19-2007, 03:43 PM
GFelix
Navigator

Thanks for the info and the link.

I will look in to this change

G
Old 07-19-2007, 04:11 PM
kehler
Racer

not sure what you mean by blocker? you do have to drill out a rivet. upgrading is an option if you happen to have $500 to spend on windows!!! I can think of a lot of things I could do with $500 to make the car faster instead of the windows.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:06 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kehler
not sure what you mean by blocker? you do have to drill out a rivet. upgrading is an option if you happen to have $500 to spend on windows!!! I can think of a lot of things I could do with $500 to make the car faster instead of the windows.
I purchased the upgrade parts on the forum for $140.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Window Ribbon Replacement in an 85

Quick Reply: Power Window Ribbon Replacement in an 85