C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Instrument Cluster Bulb Replacement

Old 08-10-2007, 04:16 PM
8VETTE7
Drifting

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Default C4 Instrument Cluster Bulb Replacement

bulb

Last edited by 8VETTE7; 03-07-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:31 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the cluster out of my vette I don't know how many times working on the grounds and bulbs. It's actually not that hard. I believe a very good procedure is found in "101 Projects for your C4 Corvette". The special tool GM refers to is if you want to take the bulbs out without removing the cluster. After removing the trim you'll see 4 silver dots. Removing these gives access to the bulbs from the front of the panel and you can pull the bulbs out with the special tool. That's not the way I'd to it. I'd remove the cluster. From the back, all the sockets twist out and after twisting the socket out you can easily remove the bulb. Also, I'd do all 4 bulbs while I was in there cause it does suck to get it out.

Procedure:
Disconnect the battery neg lead.

Remove the **** dimmer ****. If you twist it around you'll see a small window at the base of the ****. Through that you can pry the metal retainer with a small screwdriver and slide it off. The metal ring does not come out, you just relieve the pressure.

Remove the trim. Make sure you get all the screws, there are some on the left covered by the door. Also, tilt the wheel all the way to the bottom and extend it forward. Also, to remove the trim you have to unscrew the turn signal lever.

Remove the screws on the underside of the dash where the cluster is. This will allow the dash enough flew to gently pry it out of the way.

Remove the 4 screws holding the cluster in place. They're recessed and I believe they're 8mm.

Gently pry the dash up and slide the left side of the cluster forward. Unhook the two bundles of cables on the right (carefully) and remove the cluster the rest of the way.

That's the general idea for removal of the cluster. If you want to try and get the bulbs out with the cluster in place, after removing the trim you could very gently pull on the bulbs with pliers (not recommended) or try and locate the special tool. I replaced mine with the cluster out.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:56 PM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do not need any special tools if you follow the above directions. One item to note, do not touch the bulbs with bare fingers, use a tissue as the oils on your hands cause premature failure. In addition, clean the contacts with an eraser.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:02 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your dim cluster is definitely the 882 bulbs. You're on the right track. Napa has them.

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7

My question is has anyone replaced thees bulbs and can it be done without a special tool?
Yes.
No special tools needed what so ever.

Related to that I notice that to get at these bulbs you have to remove the cluster. (Thank you GM.)
False.

Weather you have to remove the cluster from the car or not will depend on weather or not the bulb holder is broken or intact.

To do this, start by just removing the cluster front plastic trim. Then remove each heat shield from each bulb. Turn the key on and see which of the 4 bulbs are out.

If you see any bulbs missing and all there is just a hole, the bulb holder must have broken and fallen back inside the cluster. These get brittle with heat and time. This is where you then must remove the whole cluster from the car, open it, split the two circuit boards apart, and install the bulb from behind. These bulbs go in and then twists a 1/4 turn to secure from the inside.

If the bulb is still there, carefully pull it out from the driver's seat with a pair of needle nose plies wrapped in tape. When you get the bulb off, and the holder is still there and intact, then all you need to do is carefully press in your new 882 bulb right from the driver's seat and you're done. Repeat the process with any other burned out bulbs. I've done this several times with mine.

How do I get the **** off the headlight switch without breaking it so that I can remove the bezel and then the cluster?
Get the flat end of a small screwdriver behind the ****, and press the little raised spring towards you, while at the same time pulling the **** straight off.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:17 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

while we are talking about removing bulbs , does anyone know if the top board on the pc board has pins that must line up with the bottom board? I replaced my temp socket and now my oil pressure goes dark after it reaches 11 pounds.I did not seperate the boards just moved them to get at the socket.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:51 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are ground pins that extend through all the boards. I've never heard of one giving the symptoms you described, but they do often go bad and cause a poor ground and a number of intermittent problems.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:10 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guess the dash stays apart until they arrive.
Those 882 bulbs are not easy to find locally. I got the last two Napa had in stock. You did leave the cluster in the car for this right?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:11 PM
GIJoe
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

The gauge cluster comes out much easier than it is trying to get the dang lights out the front. A few screw in the back of it and you can just simply pop the bulb out and put new ones in very quickly and easily. I've broken one inisde doing it from the front before. NOT fun!!

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Instrument Cluster Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 Instrument Cluster Bulb Replacement