C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Difference between m.a.p sensor bar 1 & bar 2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 04:30 AM
emo-vet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between m.a.p sensor bar 1 & bar 2 ?

hello there guys,
i was looking at www.jimsperformance.com as i have just brought the 8 throttle body cross ram intake manifold that i mentioned weeks ago on this c4 tech section.
any way apart from purchasing the small cap ditstributor conversion wiring harneses for coil and distributor that i need to use and run with the 8 t/b inake upgrade/mod to go on my 1991 corvette ,i saw that jims performance sells the standard m.a.p sensor, which is standard, but they also sell a m.a.p Bar 2 sensor !!!
i have never heard of the Bar 2 sensor before !

what is it please ?

will it still work on the corvette ?

any performance gain with this Bar 2 sensor ?

will it still hook up to orignal wiring plug ?

may be it has a stronger sensor capability possibly ?

im not sure guys ???

it that was true that may help my cause with this 8 seperate throttle body intake as far as the m.a.p preasure is concerned and there fore i wont have to muck around buying anonther expensive computer to fit to make the intake run,there was another option discussed a week or so ago about the central m.a.p juice box which your m.a.p sensor would hook up too and also you can run the i.a.c ,idle air control and have 8 seperate pipes going to each runner from this central little sealed box to help with the map preasure problem although the intake base apprently has built in seperate channels to run the m.a.p so we will see how i go i guess.

if you please have any ideas on the two different m.a.p bars please let me know thanks
regards
shae

Last edited by emo-vet; 08-13-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Kevin Vandevenne
Intermediate

Unless you are running a boosted motor (ie turbo or supercharger) stick with the stock MAP sensor. The "Bar" sensors are designed to work with positive manifold pressure, and the numbers represent the amount of positive pressure they can monitor. I believe 1 Bar = 12psi, but I could be off on that.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:38 PM
vettef6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 bar is 14.5 psi and yes the 2 bar is for turbos or other boosted engines. Stick to the stock map sensor.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:49 PM
emo-vet
Pro

hello there guys,
thanks for your replys and help .
so this 8 t/b cross ram intake comes with built in map channels under neath the intake side and has been cross drilled in to each runner i believe.
so i just thought may be that the bar 2 map sensor may have more hope of running it thats all ?
any way thanks
regards
shae
Old 08-13-2007, 11:29 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

1 BAR = 14.7 psia (equivalent to 1 Atmosphere or from vacuum to no vacuum; WOT)
2 BAR = 29.4 psia (equivalent to 2 Atmospheres or from full vacuum to 14.7 psig of positive pressure in the intake)
3 BAR = 44.1 psia (equivalent to 3 Atmospheres or from full vacuum to 29.4 psig of positive pressure in the intake)

As you can see, for a normally aspirated application, the 1 BAR MAP sensor will handle all of your needs. And something else to consider is that as you increase the measurement range of the MAP sensor, the gradiations in tuning become more crude.

One may interpret this as fixed number of rows and columns making up the tuning MAP. A 1 bar MAP represents the vacuum to WOT (0 psig) represented in each of the rows (y-axis) of the tuning map with RPM represented in columns (x-axis). As the range is increased through the use of a 2 BAR MAP, the range covered by each cell is twice as much, thus making tuning more crude. Additionally, factory ECMs will need to be "tricked" into interpreting the proper MAP reading based on voltage, as the range is 2X on a 2BAR MAP.

The connection on a 1BAR, 2 BAR, and 3 BAR MAP are physically similar, though an extra "tang" is included to ensure that the correct MAP is used with the correct connector (also, the connectors are different colors for the various MAP levels; black, green, orange). This plastic tang on the weatherpack connector may be removed with an exacto knife or razor blade.

My advice is to use the 1BAR MAP, unless you plan to go boosted. I run the 3 BAR on my '87 (but also over 25 psig).

Aaron
Old 08-13-2007, 11:34 PM
emo-vet
Pro

hi Aaron,
thanks for the great explaination and write up.
cheers buddy
regards
shae
Old 08-16-2007, 07:28 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Anytime you have more questions on forced induction, feel free to post them up. Also, you may find a lot of the discussions in the C4 FI/N2O applicable.
Aaron

Get notified of new replies

To Difference between m.a.p sensor bar 1 & bar 2 ?

Quick Reply: Difference between m.a.p sensor bar 1 & bar 2 ?