C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 true dual exhaust with no cats....good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:08 AM
ittybittyfds
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 85 true dual exhaust with no cats....good or bad

well all i no longer have emmissions to worry about and i am thinking of running true duals now without a cat

if i am currently running long tubes and i have B&B mufflers
will running dual 2 1/2 pipes hurt my performance on the L98 stocks heads and cam
or should i run a x-pipe in the dual setup
Old 08-30-2007, 12:51 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm always curious about the various exhaust setups on the '85...
Old 08-30-2007, 02:01 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a good setup. You might want to add the x-pipe for resonance issues.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Phatoscar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had true duals with X pipe no cats and super 40 flow masters! The sound... amazing! The hp gain is also very good! I defenetly felt a huge gain! I would estimate anywere from 10 to 15 hp gain!
Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

On an otherwise stock 85, 2.5 will be plenty. I would recommend a compromise and go with two hi-flow cats (several reasonably priced options) they will not hurt performance 1 bit (you will see a gain from the existing system) and keep the smell down.

Do this on dual exhaust with x or H pipe and you will be good to go for now and have room to grow...a lot of room actually.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:38 AM
thirdtimevetteowner
Pro

So, that is to say that the Melrose 3" system is too big? For a stock L98, but what about w/a set of AFR 195's and a decent cam plus mini-ram and headers? I am stuck between choosing that system or a 2 &1/2" system. Also my 89 is a vert. Will the 3" even fit? Anyone know? Any help appreciated.

Rich K
Old 08-31-2007, 04:10 AM
emo-vet
Pro

hi guys,
sorry to but in guys,just wandering
is true dual 2.5 " diameter mandrel exhausts larger enough on a worked 350/383 at all ?
or would 2.75 " diameter or twin 3 " diameter be better may be?
thanks
shae
Old 08-31-2007, 09:10 AM
Corn Flakes
Instructor

I have true duals, no cats, and no mufflers in 2.25 piping and its not what I thought it would be. I still want it to be louder. Throttle response did improve though. No resonance either. Everythings been welded to. Had clamps holding it together before and it rattled alot.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:22 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Corn Flakes
I have true duals, no cats, and no mufflers in 2.25 piping and its not what I thought it would be. I still want it to be louder. Throttle response did improve though. No resonance either. Everythings been welded to. Had clamps holding it together before and it rattled alot.
to a degree. I have '89 with the same set up: 2.5 true duals, no cats/pre cats topped off with Borla ZR1 style mufflers. The system is fully welded together. There is no crossover/ balance tube on the car and thing sounds extra mean when the revs are up but it is still quiet as a church mounse at idle!

Old 08-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Corn Flakes
Instructor

Originally Posted by engle1147
to a degree. I have '89 with the same set up: 2.5 true duals, no cats/pre cats topped off with Borla ZR1 style mufflers. The system is fully welded together. There is no crossover/ balance tube on the car and thing sounds extra mean when the revs are up but it is still quiet as a church mounse at idle!

Very true when your hitting the rev limiter. I like mine loud at idle though to and it's not as quiet as stock and I can hear it standing behind the car but I want it booming. I figured if I get a new cam then it would sound louder.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:20 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I JUST put true duals on my 89.
lost a bit of torque, but seems peppier higher up in the RPMs now.
The sound is completely different as well

Since you got LT's I am assuming you don't have precats (not sure if they came in the 85 anyway)....

but for a cheap alternative, just swap the main cat out with a straight pipe... this will basically give you a near same effect as an x-pipe.

I asked a corvette tech/mechanic about my old setup once because i wanted to go with true duals.

I had gutted pre cats on the front Y, guttet main cat in the middle, and a rear Y with Borlas. He said this would pretty much give me the same gains as the stock size true duals (2.25"? I forgot the diameter)...

anyway, so I just kept that.

The only reason I put the true duals on is because it came on the parts car I bought, so I figured, what the heck
Old 08-31-2007, 10:27 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GIJoe
I JUST put true duals on my 89.
lost a bit of torque, but seems peppier higher up in the RPMs now.
The sound is completely different as well

Since you got LT's I am assuming you don't have precats (not sure if they came in the 85 anyway)....

but for a cheap alternative, just swap the main cat out with a straight pipe... this will basically give you a near same effect as an x-pipe.

I asked a corvette tech/mechanic about my old setup once because i wanted to go with true duals.

I had gutted pre cats on the front Y, guttet main cat in the middle, and a rear Y with Borlas. He said this would pretty much give me the same gains as the stock size true duals (2.25"? I forgot the diameter)...

anyway, so I just kept that.

The only reason I put the true duals on is because it came on the parts car I bought, so I figured, what the heck
Yeah, the '85 doesn't have precats and the bolt pattern on the main cat is different then later years. I've been looking at various options including true duals because most catback setups won't bolt straight up anyways. I've also thought about just doing LT's into a high flow universal cat to a catback and just doing it all at the same time. So many options..
Old 08-31-2007, 11:48 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ittybittyfds
well all i no longer have emmissions to worry about and i am thinking of running true duals now without a cat

if i am currently running long tubes and i have B&B mufflers
will running dual 2 1/2 pipes hurt my performance on the L98 stocks heads and cam
or should i run a x-pipe in the dual setup
True duals should work well and 2 1/2" pipes are fine unless you are making huge horsepower.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:36 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdtimevetteowner
So, that is to say that the Melrose 3" system is too big? For a stock L98, but what about w/a set of AFR 195's and a decent cam plus mini-ram and headers? I am stuck between choosing that system or a 2 &1/2" system. Also my 89 is a vert. Will the 3" even fit? Anyone know? Any help appreciated.Rich K
My set-up is like that 3" all the way to the x' and just past that is necks down to 2 1/2" to the muffler to keep the velocity up). Depending on gear and conv. it will drop a little low end, however it will still spin the tire pretty well even from a 20 roll. Clearances to the tunnel, trans. et.all on mine are very good. I would guess at most, a little work on your cross beam might be needed (mine is not a melrose system though).
Old 09-01-2007, 11:42 AM
teufelhund
Racer

I went true duals with magnaflows on the back and a home made H pipe that he did when he was bending the exhaust. It sounds GREAT and the SOP dyno says there was a BIG improvement especially up top. JMO.... Best mod I've done yet now I just need some long tubes to go infront of all that. All the exhaust work w/out the mufflers cost me $110 best money I've spent on the vette yet.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
True duals should work well and 2 1/2" pipes are fine unless you are making huge horsepower.
This works for me. I do have an H pipe however.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:20 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It will sound good but be loud as hell all the time.

Cats really help quiet it down.

What would long tubes and no cats sound like with the stock mufflers? Surely it would be louder than stock and still bearable.

Get notified of new replies

To 85 true dual exhaust with no cats....good or bad

Old 09-02-2007, 06:09 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

You want dual 3"s?..Hope you lilke resonance, cause thats what youll get, an no X, H or corssover or any of that bs is going to get rid of it, trust me. But youll look cool while youre going deaf.

Oh, and youll lose about 20 lbs of torque on avg...And gain what, 5 peak hp?10? Going backwards.

Cant wait to throw mine in the trash and get a good 2.5" mandrel bent system. 3" is overkill for a 350 unless you are making stupid huge power.

To anser your question, dual 3s will fit. Even with all those mods you dont need anything that big.

Last edited by cv67; 09-02-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:32 AM
86GoldProject
Pro

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
It will sound good but be loud as hell all the time.

Cats really help quiet it down.

What would long tubes and no cats sound like with the stock mufflers? Surely it would be louder than stock and still bearable.

I'm running hedman longtubes with a cut back stock exhaust system with the main cat gutted and the 2 precats cut out, I'm running a huge cam and a carb and I was shocked by how good it actually sounds.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:00 AM
davemack
Racer

Originally Posted by RainDelay
On an otherwise stock 85, 2.5 will be plenty. I would recommend a compromise and go with two hi-flow cats (several reasonably priced options) they will not hurt performance 1 bit (you will see a gain from the existing system) and keep the smell down.

Do this on dual exhaust with x or H pipe and you will be good to go for now and have room to grow...a lot of room actually.
I am running an LT4 exhaust on my 85 and really wanted to go with HF bullit cats, but after reading a post by tjwong(?), chose to forego them. Catalysis requires heat, and if you install cats where they weren't intended to be installed, you run the risk of buring your car. You might be able to install heat-shielding material, but I wasn't sure how well it would work, how well it would stick over time, etc. After hearing the story about the mis-placed cats (it was a car the author of the post worked on where he found the floor had a hole burned through and the carpet backing was badly charred..) I decided against cats. But, I would much prefer to have cats - it does smell w/o them.

Last edited by davemack; 09-03-2007 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 85 true dual exhaust with no cats....good or bad