C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Golen 383 - 4 bolt splayed caps, forged SRP Pistons and cylinder surface

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:57 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought an LT1 block from them and splade mains no problem here.
You should get atleast $150.00 back for the non coated pistons and $400.00 back for the lack of the splade mains .I would rather have the 4 bolt anyway.I would have had the 4 bolt caps splade installed on all the journals if you are going to run a pro charger.You will sure be shocked when you go to buy that rear one piece main seal for the crank.I also know that unless they used the tool to set up the crank for the seal you will have one bad rear seal oil leak.The block off you should be able to purchase at any auto parts store.Don't for get the gasket
Old 09-02-2007, 05:08 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I personally feel billet caps/iron block=long term use Best for track use only..

Iron caps/block
Expand and contract at the same rate.
my .02, although Im not a machinist.

Dont worry about strength, studded 4 bolt is plenty stout plus you appear to have good bottom end parts
Old 09-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Eike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should get atleast $150.00 back for the non coated pistons
The pistons are coated but not with the coating I ordered. Golen charged the right amount for it.

You will sure be shocked when you go to buy that rear one piece main seal for the crank.
I need the housing, too. Unfortunately Golen did not inform me that I need to buy one.
How do I know what the correct seal is?
I'd like to buy from Summit but there are 3 different seals ...

1. FPP-2919
Fel-Pro Performance Rear Main Bearing Seals
Rear Main Seal, 1-Piece, Silicone, Chevy, Small Block V8/ V6, Each

2. FEL-BS40520
Fel-Pro Rear Main Seals
Rear Main Seal, 1-Piece, Rubber, Chevy, Small Block, Each

3. FEL-BS40626
Fel-Pro Rear Main Seals
Rear Main Seal, 1-Piece, Rubber, GM/ Excalibur, Each

Last edited by Eike; 09-02-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Golen is a worldclass shop!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I personally feel billet caps/iron block=long term use Best for track use only..

Iron caps/block
Expand and contract at the same rate.
my .02, although Im not a machinist.

Dont worry about strength, studded 4 bolt is plenty stout plus you appear to have good bottom end parts
Chad is a great guy and built me a 383 fully forged turbo motor on a 93 Trans Am. He does great work and will help you all the time. He would not take shortcuts if you paid for the services. I stand behind Golen like most of us here.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:25 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Lots of higher volume shops will take whatever blocks they can get from their core suppliers and machine/change them to get a motor out the door. Some is due to availability, there are blocks that are getting hard to come by period, some that are already bored over too far, etc.

I want to hear what Golen will do for you , this is the first negative Ive heard of them. Hope to hear something positive.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:10 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Old 09-02-2007, 01:11 PM
hgh pwr
Racer

pro gram engineering makes billet splayed caps that work with the stock dipstick, you can only get 4 bolt for the 3 center mains.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Eike
Racer

By the way, do you guys with Golen engines got them blueprinted?
I got only the "Fuel Injected Chevy Setup Guide" and no information about any clearances or weights.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Here are a couple of people over at thrdgen.org with recent problems with Golen Engine Service.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/af...e-no-good.html
Old 09-02-2007, 01:47 PM
trackman44
Instructor

Default Engine ID

Engine block # 14093638, 89-93, OHV, RWD, TBI, roller lifters, center bolt valve covers, high swirl intake ports, right hand dipstick. This block also came with single piece rear seal.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:25 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Eike,

Speak with Golen they have a reputation to maintain. If they don't reimburse you or cover the shipping and provide you with what you want I will never reccomend them and the money they would have lost from covering shipping to you will be multiplied by those customers they lose.

I for one was considering purchasing a 2 bolt block and was considering having them machine everything for me. After this, I definitely will not be getting it done as I'm in canada and the last thing I need is to have something 200 lbs shipped to me and be wrong.

Golen has a good rep and I hope they step up to the plate and cover all shipping back to them and ship you the right block at their expense. I would expect NO less than that from them.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Eike
Racer

Canada ... you are lucky. I live in Germany

Thanks for the link, Hooked on Vettes. It seems that I have to check everything.

I paid $6,077. Golen did not reply my e-mail until now.

Last edited by Eike; 09-02-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:11 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

good luck
Old 09-02-2007, 05:26 PM
86VX1
Drifting

you have to get some cash back at the very least, sending the block back to U.S. seems impractical. good luck
Old 09-03-2007, 12:20 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have a one piece rear main seal.Not just the seal the whole part.
That is the retainer that holds the seal for the crank,the seal and the gasket.I would not bat an eye if it was $300.00 that is what my 2 piece cost
I don't think you were very clear about what you new you wanted.I would have faxed the info so their were no ??????? about what you wanted.6k sounds about right.I would have gone with a complete motor if it was me.The motor they did for me was an LT1 which is hard to find .Yours is just a regular gen 1 block.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Eike
Racer

I can buy a used retainer/housing off ebay for a few dollars so that is not a problem.

Complete motor ... I wanted the new AFR heads with Swain Techs TBC coating so that was not an option at the time I ordered.

Btw, my mech also says that the studs are not correct installed.
So I'll check everything what I can check by myself. Currently I can't really trust this engine.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:21 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Eike - I agree... that motor is very questionable.

I wonder if they have hired someone new that shouldn't be allowed near a torque wrench?

Get notified of new replies

To Golen 383 - 4 bolt splayed caps, forged SRP Pistons and cylinder surface

Old 09-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Eike
Racer

I just checked with my mech ... he recommend screw the studs out so that the nuts are fully threaded and torque them down to 65 foot pounds. The rust may not be a big problem.

Golen did not answer my first e-mail till now. I'll wait another day till I send a link to this thread.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:56 PM
resipsa
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eike
I just checked with my mech ... he recommend screw the studs out so that the nuts are fully threaded and torque them down to 65 foot pounds. The rust may not be a big problem.

Golen did not answer my first e-mail till now. I'll wait another day till I send a link to this thread.
I stored a freshly bored and honed engine block in my garage for two years on an engine stand in a plastic bag with WD-40 on the cylinder walls and they never rusted like that. Improper shipping prep, main bearing cap nuts not fully engaged with the studs, and the wrong mains and coatings. Who knows what else is wrong with that motor (e.g., bearing clearances, cam specs, rod clearance, etc). Golen should take that motor back without question. If Golen refuses to cure these defects, I personally will never do business with or recommend them (I know plenty of potential customers). Hopefully, they will live up to their good reputation and insist on replacing that motor for you with one that has the correct parts, is not rusted, and that looks like it was bolted together correctly. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:22 PM
resipsa
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would carefully read Golen's warranty to determine how to place a claim. Pay particular attention to the "Claim Procedure" section, paragraph 7, which states "Disassembly of the engine by any parties other then GES will void the warranty unless it is specifically authorized by GES." I assume that this warranty is the same as the one listed below which I obtained from their website.

LIMITED THREE YEAR LABOR WARRANTY

Golen Engine Service (hereinafter referred to as "GES") warrants that their high performance engine shall be free of defects from workmanship, when installed properly by a competent technician used for normal street operation and serviced at proper intervals for a term of three years from the date of the purchase.

GES will provide full labor repairs and replacement of all parts needed to repair your engine in the event of a problem upon start up. Inspection of the engine must be completed by GES to assure that the engine was not run longer than a few hours. If GES finds that the engine was run longer than a few hours the original Limited Three Year Labor Warranty will not apply.

GES (under the Three Year Labor Warranty) will provide all repair, labor, inspection, machining and assembly at no cost to the original purchaser. The purchaser will be responsible for the cost of all parts needed to repair the engine under the Lifetime Labor Warranty. This warranty only covers the engine itself, at no time does this warranty or any other warranty given by GES cover the labor costs to remove or replace the engine from a vehicle or does it pay the labor costs of any mechanic. No exceptions.

EXCLUSIONS and LIMITATIONS:

This warranty does NOT cover damage or loss due to the following:

1. Misuse, maintenance neglect, abuse, vandalism, abnormal operation or accidents, not changing oil on time or not enough oil.

2. Defective or improper installation, Distributor not installed properly in turn melting pistons and rings or destroying bearings.

3. Improper break in: Camshaft wearing too soon, in turn ruining camshaft.

4. Environmental conditions, overheating, or freeze cracks: warped heads or cracks in head or block.

5. Over revving: bent or broken connecting rods, bent or broken push rods

6. Foreign material in combustion chamber or oil pan, bolts or nuts dropped into cylinder destroying pistons and valves.

7. Failure of components or parts not furnished or otherwise approved by GES for installation, or components or parts unsuitable for use with engine.

8. Damage to pistons and other components from detonation or preignition: distributor not installed properly, too much timing, bad fuel and not enough octane.

9. Crankshaft thrust surface worn: defective or improperly installed clutch, torque converter.

10. Internal modifications- any internal modifications will result in a warranty void.

11. Nitrous Oxide or Supercharger- installing these components on an engine that isn't properly set up for them will result in a void in warranty. Consult the GES Tech line if unsure.

12. Overfueling or other dilution lubrication: carb is too big or is out of adjustment.

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER OR PROVIDE PAYMENT OR REIMBURSEMENT FOR THE FOLLOWING SERVICES:

1. Replacement of oil, anti freeze, or any other substance

2. Towing charges, vehicle rental, or other substitute transportation

3. Diagnostic time, labor to remove and/or reinstall engine, or service calls

4. Parts or items associated with warranted engine

5. Transportation or lodging

6. Loss of time, income, sales or profits, loss of use of vehicle

7. Lift, dock, or storage fees

8. Tune-ups or replacement of belts, hoses or maintenance items, routine
regularly required maintenance

9. Injury or death to persons or damage or destruction of property; consequential or incidental damages

10. Shipping warranted engine to and from GES

CLAIM PROCEDURE:

Immediately after the discovery of a potential defect the customer must comply with the following procedure:

1. Discontinue the use of the engine

2. Do not pull engine out of vehicle

3. Contact the sales person at GES that you originally purchased the engine from

4. Let GES help you figure out what is wrong with the engine (95% of the problems can be fixed with the help of the GES tech while the engine is still in the vehicle).

5. Unless a field repair is specifically authorized by GES, the engine or part thought to be defective must be returned to GES for evaluation. A copy of the customer's original invoice or receipt must accompany all returned engines or parts.

6. Returned engines must be returned with all parts intact that were originally furnished with the engine or charges will be made for the missing parts.

7. Disassembly of the engine by any parties other then GES will void the warranty unless it is specifically authorized by GES.

BY PURCHASING THIS ENGINE FROM GOLEN ENGINE SERVICES IT IS UNDERSTOOD THAT THE CUSTOMER ACCEPTS AND AGREES TO COMPLY WITH THE TERMS OF THE WARRANTY.

A SIGNED COPY OF THIS WARRANTY MUST BE RETURNED WITHIN TEN DAYS OF RECEIVING THE ENGINE. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL VOID ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES.

BINDING ARBITRATION

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY, IT CONTAINS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS AS WELL AS LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS THAT MAY APPLY TO YOU. THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS A DISPUTE RESOLUTION CLAUSE.

Any claim against Golen Engine Service (hereinafter referred to as 'GES') its agents, employees, successors, assigns, or affiliates arising from or relating to the purchase of parts or an engine this or this agreement, or it's interpretation or the breach, termination or validity thereof, the relationships which result from this agreement (including, to the full extent permitted by applicable law, relationships with third parties who are not signatories to this agreement), GES's advertising or any related purchase SHALL BE RESOLVED EXCLUSIVELY AND FINALLY BY BINDING ARBITRATION ADMINISTERED BY A STATE OR NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED ARBITRATION FIRM. The arbitration will be limited solely to the dispute or controversy between customer and GES. These terms and conditions apply (1) unless the customer has signed a separate purchase and sale agreement with GES, in which case the separate agreement shall govern, or
(2) unless other standard GES terms apply to this transaction.

FORUM SELECTION CLAUSE:

It is agreed to by and between customer and GES that all disputes and matters whatsoever arising under, in connection with or without incident to this contract, warranty SHALL BE ARBITRATED EXCLUSIVELY IN AND BEFORE A COURT LOCATED IN THE STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, TO THE EXCLUSION OF THE COURTS OF ANY OTHER STATE, TERRITORY, OR COUNTRY. This is enforceable on all contracts regardless to where product has been shipped. Customer hereby waives any venue or other objection that he may have to any such action or proceeding being brought in any court located in the State of New Hampshire. If either party is to institute or commence litigation in any venue or format other than that specified above, specifically binding arbitration in New Hampshire it shall be liable to the other for all costs, expenses, and attorney fees associated with that action.

Please sign and date here: _____________________________
(Full Name here)

Quick Reply: Golen 383 - 4 bolt splayed caps, forged SRP Pistons and cylinder surface