C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Service Engine Soon Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:15 AM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Service Engine Soon Light

In Maryland you are required to get an emissions test every two years. So I did the 95 this past Saturday, she passed the test with flying colors. On sunday I decided to take a cruise. Drove about 100 miles along the upper Chesapeake. On the way home I notice the "Service Engine Soon" light had come on. I do have a scanner for the OBD I/II. Havent' had time to run the codes. But what is the most common cause of this fault condition? According to the owner's manual it should only come on and stay on if a fault is detected. The car IS NOT running rough at all - like when an oxygen sensor went out and I had an over Rich condition - computer was actually dumping more fuel then required because of the lack of the feedback from the sensor I guess.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:25 AM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a whole multitude of things that could cause an SES light. Thats the basic "warning" that there is a problem somewhere - just about anywhere.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:47 AM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheAngelOfDeath
There are a whole multitude of things that could cause an SES light. Thats the basic "warning" that there is a problem somewhere - just about anywhere.
I suppose but, the basic impression I get from the owner's manual is that is mainly deals with the fuel system and the emissions system.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:59 AM
jrp
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishJoker
I suppose but, the basic impression I get from the owner's manual is that is mainly deals with the fuel system and the emissions system.
Those, plus all of the other engine controls. There are many, as mentioned above, and description/diagnosis of all the codes fills up half of Vol. 2 of the service manual.

The items in the owner's manual (I haven't looked in a long time) are likely just the things that can be easily corrected by the owner before deciding to take the car in for service. Tightening the fuel filler cap comes to mind.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:00 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Same thing just happend to my "91".

My Vette passed a California emmisions test with flying colors but, six months earlier the SES light lit up. It would only light up occassionally about once a week and then it started to come on once every night on the way home from work.

The trouble code was a #32 (EGR system).
The engine ran fine and if I shut the ignition off and restarted, the SES light would go out. I checked the EGR valve and EGR solenoid vacuum and everything was fine also, the "91" Vette doesn't use an EGR temperature switch like previous C4's.

After reading here on the forum, I found that the ECM could be bad so, I ordered a rebuilt ECM from Ecklers for $114 and so, far no more SES light!

Last edited by GKK; 09-17-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:22 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishJoker
The "Service Engine Soon" light" means to service the engine soon. The first step in servicing the engine is to check for codes to see what system(s) caused the light to come on. A code from a system doesn't necessarily mean that the titled item in that system is bad. A code for the EGR valve doesn't mean the EGR valve is bad. It means out of parameter info was sent to the computer from the EGR system. The EGR valve MAY be bad, but the fault may not even be in the EGR system, let alone the valve. One must, second, after determining what codes are present, trouble shoot for each code to find the true cause. To ask, "But what is the most common cause of this fault condition?", when the only known "fault condition" is the fact that the SES light came on, only perpetuates and encourages throwing money at a yet to be determined problem. Pull the codes and properly trouble shoot them.

RACE ON!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:47 AM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Got a code 32 back from Actron Scanner - EGR valve. So I'll check all the connections form the EGR to the ECM and all the vacuum lines, then reset the Service Engine Soon light and see what happens.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Engine Soon Light

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon Light