C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Which motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 06:34 PM
FastMiller
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which motor

How much better is the LT1 motor over say a 91 tpi motor? I'm looking at vette's and i found a decent 91.

Just curious. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:52 PM
corvette1989bham
Melting Slicks

number wise the LT1 is superior, but the L98 is a great engine and has more power than numbers show, especially the torque. If you find a good 91 , dont pass on it for a LT1.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:04 PM
FastMiller
Navigator

Originally Posted by corvette1989bham
number wise the LT1 is superior, but the L98 is a great engine and has more power than numbers show, especially the torque. If you find a good 91 , dont pass on it for a LT1.
The 91 i was looking at is an auto, around 100k miles, for about 9k asking.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:00 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FastMiller
The 91 i was looking at is an auto, around 100k miles, for about 9k asking.
Can't say if that's a GOOD price or not without knowing the condition of the car, how well it was maintained, etc.

As an example, I bought a really clean 96 LT1 with Crosa exhaust, 18" chrome Z06 wheels, upgraded aftermarket brakes (rotors, calipers, pads) and slightly less mileage for my son. Cost 10.5K

Depends.

Jake
Old 09-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Irishpilot03
Racer

The TPI has great torque in the lower rpms but it runs out of wind faster than the LT1. If finding a great deal is what you are looking for, then go with that. I personally would come up with a list of what you want for your Corvette, and then shop around after you've narrowed down the field.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:14 PM
FastMiller
Navigator

Originally Posted by JAKE
Can't say if that's a GOOD price or not without knowing the condition of the car, how well it was maintained, etc.

As an example, I bought a really clean 96 LT1 with Crosa exhaust, 18" chrome Z06 wheels, upgraded aftermarket brakes (rotors, calipers, pads) and slightly less mileage for my son. Cost 10.5K

Depends.

Jake
nice, i just don't know if Minnesota is a good place to find cars like that...

the guy had the seats re upholestered in black leather. he barely drives it and it looks pretty clean.

I'm more wanting a Lt1 6 speed, and am actually considering a Ls1 6 speed F body's along with vette's. I used to own a 84 camaro and I would LOVE an ls1, just the vette's are spendy!!!

I'm just keeping my eyes open right now.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 PM
FastMiller
Navigator

Originally Posted by Irishpilot03
The TPI has great torque in the lower rpms but it runs out of wind faster than the LT1. If finding a great deal is what you are looking for, then go with that. I personally would come up with a list of what you want for your Corvette, and then shop around after you've narrowed down the field.
Yeah, I'm a chevy guy and know a little bit (i say little because I haven't built one, just alot of research. I was just wondering if there was any difference in the vette's. I would honestly change the whole top end of the tpi motor. With a carb single plane intake, modified to have injectors and a throttle body.

Get notified of new replies

To Which motor

Quick Reply: Which motor