C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Still unable to adjust wiper arm travel! Any more ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 06:31 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Still unable to adjust wiper arm travel! Any more ideas?

86 vette
problem: Driver's wiper arm goes off windshield and tears up the A pillar.

I pulled the wiper arm off, "forced it" to the left, hoping it wouldn't travel against the A pillar and maintain a healthy "1.5inch" as according to the manual. I fastned it back down, and it still goes off the edge. I can't get it any farther away. It's at the fartest setting i found. I'm using 20" blades on both sides, and the passenger side doesn't have a problem. Maybe an 18" blade would solve my problem? I'm using the same size that "came" with the car (it's always done it.) so maybe 20's are too big? In the wiper reference book I used, it specified 20.

I don't mind it so much, but it's gouging metal out of the A-pillar. :(

Old 11-13-2001, 06:51 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Still unable to adjust wiper arm travel! Any more ideas? (Smash)

On my '87 I switched to 19" blades, as I recall, 18" would be good too...
and I tried really really hard to get them adjusted, my pass side hit the A pillar and too boot they met in the middle....20" is plainly too long on some cars, not sure why....take the simple fix and get over it...;-)))

GENE
Old 10-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Tomdocss
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To adjust wiper arms remove cowl screen with a scraper , carefully . Take a 10 mm socket loosen the 4 bolts on wiper motor shaft . 2 top 2 bottom . Once loose move the drivers side wiper arm past it's stop it will be touching the engine plenum , as you do that you will see the slots under the bolts move , tighten and put wiper blade back on stop . That easy no short wiper blades needed . Same for other side loosen move till it's on top of drivers wiper , tighten and move back just on top of drivers wiper . Reinstall cowl cover with sealant .
Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

1st problem is that you DON'T FORCE anything in the wiper linkage...

if you are willing to do it RIGHT, follow the advice you've been given. It takes TOOLS and some time and effort.

The FSM details exactly how and what measurements are required.

If you have NOT taken the screen off and worked with the bolts and linkages, you haven't adjusted anything....you've bent something,
Old 10-11-2013, 07:21 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomdocss
To adjust wiper arms remove cowl screen with a scraper , carefully . Take a 10 mm socket loosen the 4 bolts on wiper motor shaft . 2 top 2 bottom . Once loose move the drivers side wiper arm past it's stop it will be touching the engine plenum , as you do that you will see the slots under the bolts move , tighten and put wiper blade back on stop . That easy no short wiper blades needed . Same for other side loosen move till it's on top of drivers wiper , tighten and move back just on top of drivers wiper . Reinstall cowl cover with sealant .
This thread is from 2001, Im pretty sure he's fixed it by now.........WW

Last edited by WW7; 10-11-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
This thread is from 2001, Im pretty sure he's fixed it by now.........WW

Get notified of new replies

To Still unable to adjust wiper arm travel! Any more ideas?

Quick Reply: Still unable to adjust wiper arm travel! Any more ideas?