C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

oxalic acid flush - Dexcool sludge

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:11 AM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oxalic acid flush - Dexcool sludge

I have contracted the Dexcool sludge problem. I do not have heater problems and the car (92 C4) cools ok (210 on a hot day). However I discovered some sludge build up around the radiator cap and the coolent is a nasty mud color.

I tried a normal liquid flush, then several hours of letting the radiator drain while refilling the resivoir with engine running, then another liguid flush (sealed system), and more clear water flushing/draining. Improved but still muddy/rusty. So I need to the oxalic acid flush.

Does anyone know how much oxalic acid should be added to the system. I see from http://www.geocities.com/b_gillie/TSB990602012.htm guidelines I need to run for 3 hours, but the AS100 product is no longer available.

So my understanding is I need to add wood bleach and then neutralize for 10 mins with washing soda. I can't find any reference to how much of either I should use.

Also do I really need the extra thermostats and radiator caps and the back flush of the heater core or can I just run this stuff for 3 hours, flush with clear water and neutralize?

If anyone has experiance doing this advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jay
Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Mercedes has a flush procedure with a degreaser and citric acid flush.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:26 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Axson
I have contracted the Dexcool sludge problem. I do not have heater problems and the car (92 C4) cools ok (210 on a hot day). However I discovered some sludge build up around the radiator cap and the coolent is a nasty mud color.

I tried a normal liquid flush, then several hours of letting the radiator drain while refilling the resivoir with engine running, then another liguid flush (sealed system), and more clear water flushing/draining. Improved but still muddy/rusty. So I need to the oxalic acid flush.

Thanks
Jay
Good Luck. I had this problem too. I kept at it. Finally after several hours only crystal clear water came out.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:05 AM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TTT

Rick and Aklin thanks for the replys. Research leads me to the Oxalic acid. Anyone out there know how much to use?

Thanks
Jay

Get notified of new replies

To oxalic acid flush - Dexcool sludge

Quick Reply: oxalic acid flush - Dexcool sludge