C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Parking Brake Lever

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 09:53 PM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Parking Brake Lever

Does anybody know if a Parking Brake lever for a '89-'96 will fit an '86? I know according to my microfiche there were 3 different models. '84-'87, '88, and '89-'96. The '84-'87 has been discontinued. They must be different, but will it work without modification? This is the inside part you pull to put on the brake.
Barrier:confused:
Old 11-15-2001, 11:09 PM
C4396roadster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Parking Brake Lever (Barrier)

dont know if it will work but new it is a $60 part fm the last detail. not worth buying a moving part used at this price I changed it out on my 89 and feels like a new car somewhat.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:06 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Thanks for the reponse. This is a NOS purchase on e-bay. Guy said '84-'92, yet when I checked turns out 3 different models.I am just trying to figure out if it will fit and work without changing everything in site.
thanks in advance for help.
Barrier
Old 11-16-2001, 09:42 AM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked '18carfan' (our resident source for GM parts at wholesale) about this. He too has an early C4 that he tried to find a parking brake solution to. He assured me the later C4 parking brakes (88+) will NOT fit.

I watched eBay for months(years?) for an '84-87 parking brake handle assembly in near new shape. Never saw one.

So I finally tried to redo mine. I'm surprised how well it came out. Check my web site below - the link about the new interior going in. Black shoe polish fixed the leather up to new-looking. But the rubber handle came out good too. It had been scratched and dinged. I took wet/dry sandpaper (250, then 400) and dry sanded each side. I took just enough off to get rid of all the dings and scratches. Then I took a Dremel tool with a cotton buffing tip. Nothing on the tip, just dry cotton. Medium speed, I buffed all sides of the rubber handle. That smoothed out the fine scratches left over from the 400 sandpaper. Then I worked black shoe polish into it, and polished it, to turn it dark black again. I then cleaned up the plastic button on the end, and it looked virtually new.
Old 11-16-2001, 01:40 PM
Barrier
Drifting

Default Re: Parking Brake Lever (gh86E)

Thanks Gregg, I guess I will try that, were you able to tighten up slop?
Barrier
:)
Old 11-17-2001, 07:51 AM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

I didn't have much play in the mechanism. Actually, I did - some previous mechanic didn't put the 'C' clip back on the center pivot bolt. Once I put a new one one, and lithium-greased the mechanism, it was pretty solid. Certainly not an example of precision German mechanical engineering, but it was fine. My car has 105k miles on it, so the parking brake's been used a few times.

Is there slack in the brake cable that may be allowing parts to thrash around?
Old 11-17-2001, 07:13 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 77 Posts

So I finally tried to redo mine. I'm surprised how well it came out. Check my web site below - the link about the new interior going in. Black shoe polish fixed the leather up to new-looking. But the rubber handle came out good too. It had been scratched and dinged.
Greg, I've got an 85 and my parking brake lever is completely wrapped in leather. I thought they all were like that. Do you know when GM started using rubber handles on the brake lever?
Old 11-17-2001, 08:23 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Parking Brake Lever (LWesthaver)

In my 1987 the lever is leather wrapped (or I should say WAS leather wrapped). The car has 107k miles so it's seen some use. ;) Actually, it's pretty nasty looking at the moment. I've been wondering if someone sells a little leather sheath that I can just resew onto the handle. The old one is totally worn and ripped and beyond repair. :eek: If not I suppose one of these eons I'll take the old one off and use it for a pattern and just find a piece of leather at a fabric shop or upholstery shop. ~Juliet
Old 11-18-2001, 02:04 AM
Jsailor24
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Parking Brake Lever (Juliet)

my 87 is leather wrapped and stiched on the top and bottom.
Old 11-20-2001, 08:50 AM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Parking Brake Lever (LWesthaver)

Greg, I've got an 85 and my parking brake lever is completely wrapped in leather. I thought they all were like that. Do you know when GM started using rubber handles on the brake lever?
I don't recall seeing an early C4 parking brake that was all covered in leather. Hmm. Well, that makes it simpler to restore in my mind. Just go to an auto interior shop. I had my seats redone at one, and by looking at other work in his shop I'm sure he could have rewrapped the parking brake. In fact, I was going to take it there until I found it looked pretty good from my cleanup.

My rubber handle looked like rubber initially, but I'm not so sure now. When I was cleaning it up, I noticed on the ends that there were 'foldovers', like it's a covering that was foldered-over at the ends (like wrapping a present). It looked like rubber, stuff sanded off like rubber. But the handle had sharp edges and foldovers.

But if you've got leather right up to the pushbutton, then just take it to an auto interior shop - should be a few of them in any major city.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:00 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My '87 is totally wrapped in leather - well sorta. It's kinda falling off on the wide handle part. :eek: It has one sewing seam down the top. The only non wrapped part is the little push button. The narrower diameter shaft part is also leather wrapped. Thanks for the idea of taking it to an upholstery shop.... Hadn't thought of that. :) ~Juliet

Get notified of new replies

To Parking Brake Lever

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Lever