C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

It's the washers!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Lubing the splines and more torque on the axle nut is the answer for the click.
No flames from me but I can tell you that I tried lubing the splines and re-torquing the nut. It worked for about a week then the noise was right back. With the exception of my labor, which is cheap I figure what little the washers cost it's worth a try.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:58 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
No flames from me but I can tell you that I tried lubing the splines and re-torquing the nut. It worked for about a week then the noise was right back. With the exception of my labor, which is cheap I figure what little the washers cost it's worth a try.
I await your results. I have been click free for a few years with just lubing and 200 lbs on the axle nut.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

I await your results. I have been click free for a few years with just lubing and 200 lbs on the axle nut.
Maybe I'll try more torque, I've been going with the recommended 166 ft.lbs.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:55 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by quickcat
You know... for doing just the washers you are right. The pictures are from when I did my u-joints and I was so used to pulling the half shafts I didn't think about just pulling the bearing out. Thanks.

Matt
You have to remove the bearing assembly no matter what.

If you stick the teflon washer on the spindle and shove it in there it will not fit past the dust seal without tearing it.

I think the washers are designed to slip and the coating is there to let it slip quietly. There's no way in hell that nut tighted down on a ~25mm threaded shaft is going to hold up against 300 ft lbs of engine torque multiplied times 10 through the gear ratios.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:57 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Tried that and it hasn't lasted. It is galling the surface of the washer and spindle. Anti-sieze, grease, same thing. Hell I put a washer in one side this month and now the other started clunking!

You need to quit driving like a grandma.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:24 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster

You need to quit driving like a grandma.
I drive nothing like Grandma
Old 10-27-2007, 11:09 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Nice write up, but I don't see how the washer is the cure. The way I see it , is the washer is there so there is no metal to metal contact. Instead of the shoulder of stub and face of bearing unit taking the wear from friction caused by backlash, the washer is there taking the wear and is serviceable(replace).
As you say, the backlash is still there. Lubing the splines and more torque on the axle nut is the answer for the click.
Flame suit on
It just fixes it
The fact that some people cant understand why, including me, doesnt change that

Lubing the splines etc just covers up the problem
Old 10-27-2007, 11:12 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
Maybe I'll try more torque, I've been going with the recommended 166 ft.lbs.

Please dont
That will only put more stress on the whole assembly and also cause more friction
The part= washer =costs about $7 and 95% of the time is the proper fix for the problem
Old 10-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 94ZR1

Please dont
That will only put more stress on the whole assembly and also cause more friction
The part= washer =costs about $7 and 95% of the time is the proper fix for the problem
Not to worry, I had already made up my mind to go with factory specs. My washers should be here next week sometime so I'll get them installed and post results.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:18 AM
airblaine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Symptoms again

I have a very light clicking comming from my rearend I beleive, this clicking is only under acceleration. When the car is rolling to a stop there is no clicking. I can only hear the clicking if i shut of the radio and listen for it.

Will this clicking get worse? sounds like you guys are describing a loud clicking, I dont feel people outside my car can hear this but i may be wrong. Should i have my car serviced or just replace these washers and see if that solves my problem?

Last edited by airblaine; 11-02-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:35 AM
KeyWestJack
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by airblaine
I have a very light clicking comming from my rearend I beleive, this clicking is only under acceleration. When the car is rolling to a stop there is no clicking. I can only hear the clicking if i shut of the radio and listen for it.

Will this clicking get worse? sounds like you guys are describing a loud clicking, I dont feel people outside my car can hear this but i may be wrong. Should i have my car serviced or just replace these washers and see if that solves my problem?
The washers fix it 95% of the time and they are $7 at the dealer
Old 11-02-2007, 12:22 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Originally Posted by airblaine
It's more of a low muffled *thunk thunk* like you'd hear from bad Ujoints, but happens when the car first starts rolling after being parked for a bit.

You can also get some high pitched *ting ting ting* noises from it. I suspect this is the actual metal galling from the surface and resonating through the halfshaft.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

To Agent86 and others, it is definitely the washers,,,, or in my case, the lack of them. Mine were MIA for some reason. I changed the hubs about a year ago, and although I'm sure there were none I suppose they could have been stuck to the old hub. At any rate, my car is a whole lot quieter going into gear now. I haven't driven it because I put it on storage insurance but I can tell the difference without driving it.
I want to thank quickcat again for the write-up, excellent tip.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:27 PM
schrade
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raysur
What was the noise?
I'm with ya. ???

No pics of the offenders/scraped parts?
Old 11-23-2007, 07:51 PM
GaDoll
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In 11 Veteran

My '96 has a 'knock' when the wheels roll.....fast start, slow start, forward, backward......knock-knock.....got the washers today and will get this done asap.....it is driving me nuts.....will keep you posted on the outcome.....thanks so much for all the info....you guys are the BEST....and I am so grateful to have CF for all this help.....
hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving....
Carol
Old 11-23-2007, 09:40 PM
1irishprince
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 86PACER
Probably the common clicking, knocking from the rear spindle area.

http://www.artscorvetteparts.com/par...3-59f3634e182b
These weren't even on mine when I replaced the bearings! Are they a critical part. I got a used spindle off ebay and they sent me the wrong year, but it had a big, thin, metal flat washer on it...thought it might have been specific to those years (88-96), while I have an 86 which the spindle is shorter and doesnt have the thick boss that sticks past the ring. The diagram, now that I look at it, says it has a lip on one side that goes towards the spline???All the washers I have seen look just flat.? In another thread I had also asked about the "obsolete" hub bearing seal and figured the same with this washer...as I had no washer upon disassembly. But being as **** as I am when it comes to noises in the rear, I will pull the bearing back out when the washers come in and replace them!

Get notified of new replies

To It's the washers!!

Old 11-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got to replace my rr hub/bearings...is this something I should go ahead and replace while I'm in there?

Old 11-24-2007, 01:56 AM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couldn't someone just fab up their own washers out of sheet metal??? Might be cheaper than $7 each...
Old 11-24-2007, 02:16 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hooblyboobly
Couldn't someone just fab up their own washers out of sheet metal??? Might be cheaper than $7 each...
Ain't that easy. They have a special coating on them.

Quick Reply: It's the washers!!