C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

It's the washers!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:37 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default It's the washers!!

All,

I have to say after dealing with my rear end noise (no laughing ) for several months I have to say that those who said the teflon coated washers behind the rear hub bearings fixed my aching clicking sounds. I kinda figured it was the case but I tried working other things first and it cost me time and money.

I ordered mine from the local Chevy dealer and they came in quickly. When I went to put them in I could see that the originals were not even there, and upon examining the shoulder of the axle shaft I could see where it was galling against the bearing. This all despite all the torque that goes on the axle nut.

Final thoughts:

1. Grease and antisieze does not fix it.

2. They are cheap and relatively easy to change

3. Bearings and u-joints are often wrongfully blamed

My special thanks to those who have brought this issue out.

Someplace I have pictures of the procedure if anyone is interested.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:43 PM
mechguy79
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quickcat
All,

Someplace I have pictures of the procedure if anyone is interested.
I'm interested. I have a pop that some think is the C-beam. I can't check it until Dec though. Your problem is something I'll look at. My email is mechguy_79@msn.com. Thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Do you have the part numbers? I have to assemble a rear setup, and I'm missing one of them, and I might as well put in both new ones. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:12 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

I will share with all.

First lift the car and support. Be safe out there!

Then disconnect the tie rod and spring. Remove the spindle nut.

Now remove the caps from the inner u-joints. Be sure to remove the spindle nut first and be careful not to let the caps to come off and loose needle bearings all over your garage floor. This will cause you to learn new cuss words.

Remove the bolt that attaches the lower control arm to the spindle and move it out of the way.

Now for the tricky part (relatively so I guess)...

Pull the hub assembly with the half shaft toward you and away from the differential unitl the inner u-joint clears the yolk, then lower it. Then while holding the hub assembly out pull the half shaft inward until it is clear of the hub bearing. DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING!! but be firm. Be careful with the brake lines, wires, and cables.

The washer goes against the shoulder of the splined shaft.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

For those who want to do the u-joints while the shaft is out...

I have done this to my car many times now and know it works well. I believe the book has you remove more things to get in there and you may choose to if you wish. It takes me about an hour or less per side but plan on a day if you are not experienced and have to borrow most of the tools.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:17 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

I have a pop that some think is the C-beam
I could feel it in my shifter when I would start to move in reverse or going forward from reverse. It seemed like a real bad problem but it was just the tension between the shoulder of the shaft and the bearing giving way. The washers fixed it.

Do you have the part numbers?
Try searching the forum here for it. I don't have the number handy and I have to go for the night. If you don't have it tomorrow I will take a look and post it. They are like $7-8 each so you might as well get 'em.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Raysur
Safety Car

What was the noise?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:20 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably the common clicking, knocking from the rear spindle area.

Originally Posted by 69427
Do you have the part numbers? I have to assemble a rear setup, and I'm missing one of them, and I might as well put in both new ones. Thanks.
http://www.artscorvetteparts.com/pro...3-59f3634e182b

Last edited by 86PACER; 09-24-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 AM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

What was the noise?
Uh.... See below.

upon examining the shoulder of the axle shaft I could see where it was galling against the bearing. This all despite all the torque that goes on the axle nut.
It seemed like a real bad problem but it was just the tension between the shoulder of the shaft and the bearing giving way. The washers fixed it.
However... if you read the whole thread and didn't get it... see below yet:

The sound heard and clunk felt at the rear of my car was caused by two things.

First, the splines on the shaft and in the hub are not perfect fit. So there are a couple of degrees of play where the splined shaft engages the hub bearing.

Secondly, when the axle nut is tightened it causes tension between the shoulder of the axle yolk and the hub bearing. This tension can hold some of the torque from the engine. Once the torque from the engine exceeds the tension of the yolk shoulder the yolk rotates until the splines engage the splines of the hub bearing. When this happens a clicking sound is heard by the driver, occupant, and any near passers-by. This makes the car seem like an old piece of junk.

The teflon coated washers prevents the tension from building between the yolk shoulder and hub bearing and allowing then to slip gently and silently. Easy fix for an annoying and seemingly bad problem.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:23 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Nice job. This needs to be added to C4 tech tips, or at lest the FAQ sticky at the top of C4 tech.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:26 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

You made the problem more difficult than it had to be
You dont have to remove the hub
A torx with an extension will slide in from behind to remove the 3 bearing bolts
This is how I did it (also how it was written up here just enable archived threads and if you have the June issue of Corvette Magazine look in the letters section for th e same thing)
1. Remove wheel
2. Remove spindle nut (the big one in the middle) I found it easiest to do this with the parking brake on
3. Remove caliper and rotor
4. Remove 3 torx bolts from behind that hold the bearing assy on(I used a 6 in extension)
5 when you remove the bearing there it is. I put a little synthetic axle grease on so it would last longer and also lubed up the spline

No need to remove springs or the whole hub assy
Just make sure you put the flared flange facing the correct way (to the inside I believe)
Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

BTW part # is 14076924 and is about $7 from a dealer
Cheapest part I ever got from a stealership

The torx is a T55 and I used a 3/8 drive with a 6 in extension from behind
There are 3 of them I used a 3/8 breaker bar about 18in long to loosen them

The first one was a 45 min job the second (I did both) was about 20 min

Last edited by 94ZR1; 10-24-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 94ZR1
You dont have to remove the hub
You know... for doing just the washers you are right. The pictures are from when I did my u-joints and I was so used to pulling the half shafts I didn't think about just pulling the bearing out. Thanks.

Matt
Old 10-24-2007, 12:21 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

You know... for doing just the washers you are right. The pictures are from when I did my u-joints and I was so used to pulling the half shafts I didn't think about just pulling the bearing out. Thanks.

Matt
Yah No problem
That is an excellent write up if you want to do the Ujoints too
Old 10-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Thanks quickcat, you did an excellent write up and a great service to many of us with the same problem. I ordered new washers this morning right after I read this thread.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:53 PM
mechguy79
Pro

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
Thanks quickcat, you did an excellent write up and a great service to many of us with the same problem. I ordered new washers this morning right after I read this thread.

Yeap, me too. Props. I think my clicking noise is exactly what you described. This is going to save me from a huge headache.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:26 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by mechguy79
Yeap, me too. Props. I think my clicking noise is exactly what you described. This is going to save me from a huge headache.
Big long time problem is finally addressed and resolved.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Raysur
Safety Car

Uh.... See below.

However... if you read the whole thread and didn't get it... see below yet:

The sound heard and clunk felt at the rear of my car was caused by two things.

First, the splines on the shaft and in the hub are not perfect fit. So there are a couple of degrees of play where the splined shaft engages the hub bearing.

Secondly, when the axle nut is tightened it causes tension between the shoulder of the axle yolk and the hub bearing. This tension can hold some of the torque from the engine. Once the torque from the engine exceeds the tension of the yolk shoulder the yolk rotates until the splines engage the splines of the hub bearing. When this happens a clicking sound is heard by the driver, occupant, and any near passers-by. This makes the car seem like an old piece of junk.

The teflon coated washers prevents the tension from building between the yolk shoulder and hub bearing and allowing then to slip gently and silently. Easy fix for an annoying and seemingly bad problem.
Thanks,
I will replace my washers when I do my u-joints this week.

Get notified of new replies

To It's the washers!!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:55 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the write-up!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:44 PM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write up!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:53 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice write up, but I don't see how the washer is the cure. The way I see it , is the washer is there so there is no metal to metal contact. Instead of the shoulder of stub and face of bearing unit taking the wear from friction caused by backlash, the washer is there taking the wear and is serviceable(replace).
As you say, the backlash is still there. Lubing the splines and more torque on the axle nut is the answer for the click.
Flame suit on

Quick Reply: It's the washers!!