C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine Knock

Old 11-28-2014, 07:18 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Engine Knock

I just got ALDLDroid and a Bluetooth ALDL adapter for my '90 6-speed coupe, so I've been looking at the ECU data.

I noticed to my surprise that I am getting knock counts. I have never heard spark knock in person, but nothing about my engine sounds abnormal to me.

The knock counts start out at 0 and climbs as the engine runs. By the end of a short test drive today it had risen to 8 counts. One data log from the other day shows it getting up to 28.

When the computer detects knock, it is supposed to retard the timing accordingly, correct? The logs show that the knock retard spikes when the knock count rises at all (or sometimes immediately before that happens) but then drops back down to 0.

I filled it with 91 octane just in case (I had been running 89) but it's still an issue. Any ideas?
Old 11-28-2014, 10:59 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Reid,

I am in no way very knowledgeable in this area. But gut feel is that the counts are with an acceptable range. Suggest you post your question in the Scan and Tune section also.

John
Old 11-29-2014, 02:18 AM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Reid,

I am in no way very knowledgeable in this area. But gut feel is that the counts are with an acceptable range. Suggest you post your question in the Scan and Tune section also.

John
Thanks John.
I'll post it there too.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:50 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

MrWillys gave you a reply on the Scan and Tune section. Just as I thought.....your good. He is a fairly new member, but seem to be very knowledgeable.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Knock

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Knock