C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 383???? Need Rebuild Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:27 AM
bwegner
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L98 383???? Need Rebuild Ideas

I am in the process of rebuilding an 89 L98. I am considering stroking it but I do not want to change anything with the intake or injection. I want to keep everything as stock as possible on the outside and do not want a bunch of tuning issues. Maybe I should just bore it and put a cam in it? Any ideas would be helpful. My plans are to leave the stock exhaust manifolds on it also. Bottom line---I want it to look factory stock but want some more beans for the motor. Preferably torque as it will be a driver.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:45 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

All engines are air pumps, the more air in, the more air out= more power. You must increase the air in and out to increase power. I would get a hi flow TPI intake manifold, some bigger runners, and have the plenum ported. Maybe have the heads ported, and go w/ a hot cam.
If you are not going to use a Mini Ram or Super Ram, I would not stroke the engine.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Randy

BTW, learn to use the search function, lot's of good info here.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Without a lot of explaining:why do you want to add capability when you don't use all you currently have? As a driver your 89, in decent condition, will have more than enough power to do anything you want or need to do.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:40 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bwegner
I am in the process of rebuilding an 89 L98. I am considering stroking it but I do not want to change anything with the intake or injection. I want to keep everything as stock as possible on the outside and do not want a bunch of tuning issues. Maybe I should just bore it and put a cam in it? Any ideas would be helpful. My plans are to leave the stock exhaust manifolds on it also. Bottom line---I want it to look factory stock but want some more beans for the motor. Preferably torque as it will be a driver.
If you want a completely stock appearance the best way to make more power is increase cubic inches. A 383 at least, plus a cam, and full roller rockers. You really need a custom tune with these changes but pcm4less can do it pretty painlessly. If you ever want to really boost the power you will have to make intake and exhaust changes. However, the above will meet your stated goals.

Get notified of new replies

To L98 383???? Need Rebuild Ideas

Quick Reply: L98 383???? Need Rebuild Ideas