C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power Steering Pump or Rack?

Old 12-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Power Steering Pump or Rack?

After a good trashing yesterday at Laguna Seca, a whining groaning noise as well as hard steering. The car has had some mild symptoms of "morning sickness" for the last few years but I started to experience transient heavy steering during some of the 1.2 G corners of this beautiful circuit. It is getting progressively worse. How do you diagnose what is broken?
Old 12-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Sydney,
PS pump issues on C-4's running track days are pretty common. Your lucky it didn't start blowing fluid out the breathing hole and oil down your tires.

The problem deals with low pressure high flow vrs high pressure/low flow, and I can never keep it straight what pumps are which.

Some guys go with a bigger pulley to slow down RPM, I sent my pump out to turn one in Michigan - they revalve and rework the pump to solve the problem. It cost me about 100 bucks. I now have slightly harder steering at low speeds - but great steering on the track - good feel and stability.

If you are gunna keep tracking the car - and I'm guessing you will - you really need to address the PS pump issue. If you do a search over in the roadracing section of the forum, you will get lots of info there!

Carl Johansson
Old 12-07-2007, 11:48 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had this problem too. And it gets worse if the pump is pulling the fluid through a cooler. Most people solve this problem by never tracking their C4s.

I think that foaming and groaning noise occurs from the fluid cavitating (boiling) at the low pressure into the pump. The frothy fluid then gets through the breather in the cap.

Now if you have morning sickness, you're steering rack could be leaking internally. It could also suck air into the fluid if it's not 100% tight and cause more foaming.

A good fluid will go a long way to help this, I'm having good luck with Valvoline Synpower.

Some have suggested putting Lucas in there to cure a sick rack, but this is a TERRIBLE idea. It is too thick and will cause your pump to eat itself up at high rpms. After Lucas my steering was worse than ever and the fluid started turning black from metal contamination.

Carl, do you know a source for a larger pulley? I'll take a look when I'm at the junkyard this weekend.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 12-07-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 102 Posts

Could you clarify when the problem occurs? Was it only at the track or is it there the day after? You have checked fluid level haven't you?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:08 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The simple answer, your rack is going bad. I would avoid the cheapo rebuilds. I bought one then returned it.

Then I went here: www.meridianautoparts.com

They are domestic and specialize in steering racks, (plus I know a guy who works there and got a discount.)

Consider doing a new pump and adding a filter so your new rack doesn't fail prematurely.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chatman
Could you clarify when the problem occurs? Was it only at the track or is it there the day after? You have checked fluid level haven't you?
The car has had about 30+ track days, 70,000 miles total. I just checked the fluid; EMPTY!! I don't see any external leaks.. yet!
I wonder if the fluid leaked past the seals in the rack.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:23 PM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through 2 power steering pumps during autox last summer. I now have one from Turn one and no problems.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Turn one was the solution for me too, but my problem was a blown high pressure hose, diagnosing the problem was easy.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:08 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

No matter what happens, you need a turn 1 pump.
Then if you still have problems, you need a rack.

I have some extra inner tie rod ends in perfect condition if you need them. I thought I had inner tie rod problems for whatever reason, then I brought a turn 1 pump, (which I should have done in the 1st place)

Call Jeff at T1, he'll tell you all about his pump, and what to expect.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Thanks everyone for the valuable input. I presume that this is the pump everyone is talking about:http://www.turnone-steering.com/lt1.html
By the way, there must be an internal leak on mine. It took half a bottle of fluid and is still not full.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Pump or Rack?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump or Rack?