C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cold weather steering on '87 vette

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 03:27 PM
SpringBranchVettes
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather steering on '87 vette

Ever since I've had my '87(about 15 years), on first start in the morning, the FIRST RIGHT turn is "sticky." This is only in the morning after a full 8 hours of park, only the first turn and only the right, not left. The "stickyness" is inversely proportional to the temperature. In other words, on a warm morning there is hardly any problem. If the temp is low(around 32), the first right turn is VERY hard, after the first turn everything is OK. Any ideas? On cold morning my wife can barely get out of the driveway.

One more curiosity; why does the power steering reservoir cap screw on counter clockwise?
Old 12-30-2007, 04:02 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You might have the fluid flushed and replaced with a synthetic PS fluid like Red Line or Valvoline. There could be dirt in the system that is not allowing proper fluid flow.

Is there a groaning or growling noise in th emorning? That would be an indication of "Morning Sickness" and typically means that the rack is on it's way out and a replacement rack is needed.

As to why the cap screws on backwards, that's hard to say.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:07 PM
RG86VET
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering rack

go to wal-mart or advance and get a bottle of lucas steering rack conditioner. $7.99 . keep receipt it has a money back guarante. drain old fluid out of resevoir and put the lucas in and walla!!! no more
stickyness. i had the same problem and it fixed it. it is only a temp. fixx
you have morning sickness the rack needs to be replaced.. the teflon bushing inside the rack is worn. the lucas bottle worked for me
Old 12-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds normal to me. When its cold out, the oil is thick same goes for engine oil too. If its making groaning noises or anything like that then I would suspect a problem. My '85 is hard to steer when its cold out, but then again these cars dont seem to like cold weather very much.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:49 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default cold weather

hah! cold weather shrinks the car, and in the winter, I lose most of the rattles!!

Get notified of new replies

To Cold weather steering on '87 vette

Quick Reply: Cold weather steering on '87 vette