C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 LT4 Clutch install cost

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:10 PM
JamesRS
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 41 Posts

Default 96 LT4 Clutch install cost

How much is the average price for a clutch install on a 96 lt4? I just got a quote for $2300 from a place called Corvette specialty. I think that is a bit much....whaddya guys think?

James
Old 01-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

While that sounds really high at first, you can't turn a C4 flywheel due to the tight tolerances (clutch might not fully engage). A new dual mass flywheel is $700, so that could be a significant part of the cost.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Jonnymac
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The labor quote I got around me was in the $400 range. The cost of the new DM and Centerforce DF clutch was $1200.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:43 AM
Dr. Evil
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
CI-IV AutoX Champ
CI-IV Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '07-'10

I've only had to replace 1 clutch but here goes. I did not replace my flywheel. I used a die grinder with a green stuff buffer disc and cleaned it up. Something akin to putting a new crosshatch on it in a way. Then replaced just the clutch/PP/throw out bearing. The thing worked great for the next 50k miles till I sold the car. I beat on that thing and it never gave me any issues. My total cost was under $500. (free labor, me)
Old 01-11-2008, 08:37 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The resurfacing is only one part of why you usually replace the DM flywheel. My brother had a DM flywheel in a car break a spring (at only like 60k miles) and severely imbalance the motor. I'd personally hate to pull the tranny and do a clutch, only to have the flywheel crap out on my later. I'm not a big fan of the DM, and if I owned a ZF car I would go the single-mass route and just live with the chatter. All up to you, though. If you did your own work I'd say not replace the flywheel, just scuff it a little (assuming it's not badly blued or something). If I was paying someone for the labor, I'd replace everything in one fell swoop to avoid a second round of labor charges.

Get notified of new replies

To 96 LT4 Clutch install cost

Quick Reply: 96 LT4 Clutch install cost