C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coolant leak through water pump bolt

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:08 PM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak through water pump bolt

Darnit. I knew I should've been more meticulous cleaning off the engine block.

Just replaced the opti & waterpump on my 94 LT1, and during my first pressure test, I noticed some leakage through the top passenger side water pump bolt (that bolts it to the block). Maybe a few drops, only once it was at full pressure.

I tightened the bolt below that one, which was pretty loose (about a good 3 full turns loose) and then tightened the actual bolt the leakage came out of, maybe 1/2 turn tighter.

Test drove it a bunch after that, and it seemed to be fine for a day.

Well on the way home today, I decided to open her up on the highway, lots of downshifting, high rpms, being nasty to her, and then I smelled a little coolant. Got back home, parked in the driveway. No drops coming out on the ground, driveway is dry, but upon opening the hood, I see a drop or two of coolant in the 'channel' where that top passenger side bolt goes through the water pump and into the block. I was able to tighten the bolt with all my might another 1/2 turn.

Think I will solve this one by just tightening these bolts as best as I can, or did I make a major mistake by not seeing perfect shiny metal on the engine block before applying the new water pump, gasket, and gasket sealer? (It was pretty close, there might have been 1/8 - 1/4 of the old gasket material left behind.)

Thanks
John
Old 01-31-2008, 06:34 PM
staugur
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of those bolts may go into into the water jacket and need thread sealant.I don't have an opti but others who have probably know more.All I can say is when you replace gaskets always make sure ALL of the old stuff is removed and use a torque wrench then there's no guessing at anything.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:57 PM
96vetteLT4
Racer

You have to seal the threads with sealant or else when the vehicle is under pressure a leak will occur thru the threads and out. Look at how long those bolts ands threads are, they go into the motor, not sealed with thread sealant and they will leak....G
Old 01-31-2008, 07:12 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

I allways use thread sealant on wp bolts.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:41 PM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Sunuva...

Ok, so how do I drain the coolant system the right way so I can remove these bolts (one at a time) put sealant on them, and put them back in?

Last time I opened the radiator cap, undid the plastic screw on the radiator, squeezed all the hoses, but when I took the water pump off, coolant leaked out all over the place. No big deal, since I was replacing the opti at the time, but I don't want to ruin my new MSD opti...

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:12 PM
96vetteLT4
Racer

I'd open the cap to take the pressure off of the system. Drain whats in the radiator out. Take the bolts out. Give it a short time to dry out and then with the thread sealant on each bolt put them back on. Id give the sealant plenty of time to dry properly. I think coolant only leaks out of the bolts when there is pressure on them. With the cap off and the radiator empty the pressure should be gone giving the sealant a chance to dry. ....G
Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 PM
staugur
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How in God's name did you guy's put a man on the moon???
Take each bolt out one by one and put thread sealer on them and screw them back in and torque them down.Can you wipe your own *** or does someone else have to do it for you??
How about a plastic bag over the opti when you attempt this/
Old 02-01-2008, 12:10 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RichS
I allways use thread sealant on wp bolts.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:47 AM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by staugur
How in God's name did you guy's put a man on the moon???
Take each bolt out one by one and put thread sealer on them and screw them back in and torque them down.Can you wipe your own *** or does someone else have to do it for you??
How about a plastic bag over the opti when you attempt this/
How massize is this thing going to leak with a full coolant system? I remember when I took the water pump off last time (and I thought I had drained the coolant system) a not-insignificant amount of coolant splashed all over my engine compartment. And the floor. If it's just a trickle, I guess I can be quick about it...

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant leak through water pump bolt

Quick Reply: Coolant leak through water pump bolt