C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bolt in Solid Rear Project Photos...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:16 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bolt in Solid Rear Project Photos...

Well here are some more photos of the solid rear project. Put the final welds on the rear housing this past week and got some paint on it. Not all components are shown but it give you an idea of the setup. I am struggling over the release of all the photos, but most likely will be posting a documentary on the install of it in the car I have now and this rear will be going into. The install is a BREEZE and anyone should be able to do it if you can turn a wrench. The car is not altered in any way except for a few hole that need drilled (super easy though) and you don't violate the structure of the car or the driving compartment at all.

With the kit you will get EVERYTHING you need to make the conversion. Including all brand new fasteners and top lock nuts.

Your stock wheels WILL work with no problem. and you can go as large as 30" slicks if you so desire!

Your stock brakes will bolt right up and you don't even need to unhook the calipers from the lines on the install so no need to even bleed the brakes.

Your stock driveshaft will work (on super high HP setups you might want to upgrade the driveshaft ~200 dollars), but I ran mine with the stock one no problem.

No ground clearance issues

Ride height is FULLY adjustable

Adjustable coil over shocks supplied with each kit.

Settings for max traction are supplied...might vary a little with HP but with the full custom built 4 link brackets its as easy as pulling out a bolt and moving it to a new hole to try.

Best of all the kit can be bolted in an afternoon, alignment done the way I did mine which I will explain and the car will drive straight as an arrow, look at my signiture how straight the car goes on 2 wheels!

Here are some sample photos...more will come in the next few weeks.
Again all components are not shown here.

well that is it for now...but like I said there will be more to come. Hope you enjoy the photos.

All question are welcome and will do my best to answer them.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:41 AM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How does you car ride with the live axle as compared to the IRS? I am considering putting IRS in another project car that I have but cannot decide if the improvement in ride quality and handling is worth the expense and engineering/fab time. I am designing for a 500 horse sport/touring coupe that weighs about 3500 lbs.

Matt
Old 02-01-2008, 11:17 AM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

That's such a nice set up...
Old 02-01-2008, 11:26 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks sweet!

What are you using as a tranny mount?
Old 02-01-2008, 12:29 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But where does my spare tire go???

Seriously, though, that's a really nice looking setup. Any idea on the cost?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:32 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by quickcat
How does you car ride with the live axle as compared to the IRS? I am considering putting IRS in another project car that I have but cannot decide if the improvement in ride quality and handling is worth the expense and engineering/fab time. I am designing for a 500 horse sport/touring coupe that weighs about 3500 lbs.

Matt
The Solid rear is much more positive on both the strip and on the street, especially when you get up into high HP setups. The IRS always "wondered" around on me even with modifications to it to make it more stable. With the solid rear the car is smooth as silk and goes arrow straight.

I personally think the IRS is WAY overrated in the handing department and I see/saw zero difference with moving to the solid rear.

As for ride, you have complete adjustability over how its setup. You can make it ride real soft or real stiff. Its entirely up to the driver and how you want her to feel.

How I am doing the crossmember is the KEY to the entire setup and I am reserving that to those that buy the setup. Its the ticket that made the complete bolt in possible and there being NO GROUND clearance issues. Its pretty slick is all I will say.

Thanks for the nice comments from all. I hope this setup becomes very popular and more people can drive their cars with utmost confidence and without worries of breaking. I can't wait for the start of the season this year. I plan to race the entire season and not worry once about the rear breaking.....actually thinking about adding a 200 shot of nitrous!!
Old 02-01-2008, 04:10 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

My thinking cap is not on right now,
what is the A shaped lookin' brace dealy-o?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:11 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How is the unload on the rear when you let off the gas?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:15 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
How is the unload on the rear when you let off the gas?
Absolutely no unloading when you let off the gas. If you watch my video of my big wheelie, you can hear me leaving off and giving it gas to get the front to come down. There is no unloading of the suspension at all.

Again I think the car is just as stable or more stable than before with the IRS.

89 paul, that is what they call a wishbone locator. It is very common on racecars to keep the housing centered under the car. It words much more freely than a track locator which is prone to push and pull the rear when your suspension travels. With the wishbone is does not have any detrimental effects as the suspension moves and very positively locates the rear. There are some other pieces that if you saw them it would make more sense as to the way it works.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JLeatherman
Seriously, though, that's a really nice looking setup. Any idea on the cost?
Price?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:46 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mr Dave
Price?
You can get everything you need

Moser 12bolt or Strange 12 bolt completely setup with your gears of choice.
coil over shocks
brake brackets
all the custom brackets you see on the photos and then some more you did not see, actually quite a few.
Chromoly rod ends with kevlar lining

and lots of other stuff required for the install to make it about as easy as possible.

The pricing is 4995, but as I mentioned earlier in the month I can knock a few hundred off during the month of February which will pay your shipping charges.

9" rears are also an option, but will be a few hundred more due to their increased expense.

Check out my webpage is has more information:

www.azzatochips.com

Thanks and any specific questions, please email me, IM or we can setup a call on the phone.

Before tackling my project I called all the chassis shops I could trying to get a price on doing this....nobody could do it for under 7K; and many of them said it would be a ballpark estimate of the cost and it could go up or down depending on the time required. This is a for sure setup and no costs are hidden. During my installation of the setup into my car I just kept working on it until I came up with a way to satisfy the need people have for a stronger setup in these cars.

Last edited by ski_dwn_it; 02-01-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:15 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like a good deal to me! I won't need anything that soon (getting a new business going), but will keep you in mind for my future project. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:45 PM
ROB502
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you do with the support bar that runs from trans to rear diff. ?
Old 02-01-2008, 07:57 PM
chad89
Advanced

Jesse,
Looks real nice. I wish I was ready for this mod. BTW "House of Hook"
Old 02-01-2008, 08:23 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Thanks fellas for the comments.

The trans is supported through a method I came up with that is stronger than ANY crossmember that can built without violating the inside of the car. It all is done WITHOUT any loss to ground clearance. The exact way again I do not want to say aa it makes everything for the bolt in setup possible.

As a side note, I spent about 80 hours designing various crossmembers that all were not to my satisfaction and caused ground clearance and exhaust routing problems. It was a nightmare to be honest with you. Then just after scrapping the last one I looked up and SHAAAAZAM it came to me. The following evening dad and I fabbed it up and I (220lbs) can literally hang from it and bounce and you can't even make the trans move one bit. Off to the track we went the next day and that is where those videos were taken with the wheelies.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 PM
comp
Team Owner

Old 02-02-2008, 02:02 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

$5000???? Thats how much I paid for the whole car

The rest of the drive train is whats keeping me from building a monster engine because I dont want to break anything. Looks like a very nice unit but I could never afford it. Do you think after you make these for a while the price will go down or is it just that labor intensive?

Get notified of new replies

To Bolt in Solid Rear Project Photos...

Old 02-02-2008, 07:26 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Demonic85
$5000???? Thats how much I paid for the whole car

The rest of the drive train is whats keeping me from building a monster engine because I dont want to break anything. Looks like a very nice unit but I could never afford it. Do you think after you make these for a while the price will go down or is it just that labor intensive?
I wish I could offer them for less...but when you add up all the individual components there is not a lot of room to move. The rod ends for instance are over 200 dollars. The coil overs are over 500. The rod used for the wishbone and 4 link bars and several other locations is over 5 dollars a foot. The differential alone in the rears are over 500 dollars but indestructable. And at that point we have not even cut any steel, which i am doing all by hand so I really do not even have a cost for that...but if I were keeping track of it at what most shops charge (~60dollars/hr for fabrication and welding places) the cost most likely would be more than the 5k. But for me it is not really work and I like doing it so its water under the bridge and I get a kick out of helping people out. I would have KILLED for a setup like this 2 years ago to be availble.

I will say I will try to work with anyone that is interested on the price. But I can only move so much. Like I said before, when you called around before to have mine done it was in excess of 7k and some as high as 10k! And all I wanted was a solid rear installed in the car.

I am confident this rear setup is the ANSWER to MANY guy's problems. There will be a few out there running and I know of many other guys that did the solid rear conversions and their cars are now ANIMALS and eat up everything except parts.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:34 AM
MR NICE
Drifting

That is a sweet set up,Idea?Patent it first,search for a investor,maybe you can get a company in China or Mexico to mass produce it for peanuts,then sell them at walmart. Nice set up again, very sweet.

Last edited by MR NICE; 02-02-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:53 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

If you sell your old rearend for 2k you only need to come up with 3k more.I can tell you that is nothing compaired to what you will spend when the IRS breaks

Quick Reply: Bolt in Solid Rear Project Photos...