C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What can I do to my 93 conv. to make it less floaty>>Z51 Bilsteins? >>

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 12:27 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Default What can I do to my 93 conv. to make it less floaty>>Z51 Bilsteins? >>

Hi,

I wanted to get everybodys input here before my next mod. My 1993 convertible 6speed with 32k miles feels floaty over bumps in the highway. I do not like it. It is very unnerving especially at high speeds. Little bumps (especially if a slight subtle curve is after them) make the car feel "disconnected" with the road and too floaty. Another annoying thing that happens is if I drive down a road and cross, say a brick sidewalk, the steering wheel shakes like its not part of the car?

I did some research and discovered that 93 convertibles have (i think) a less stiff suspension than the hardtop.....Why is this?

How do I get the float out of it.....Cost IS AN OBJECT. Do I have to do anything to the springs? Seems expensive if I did......I am still paying this car off and can't afford to put coil-overs on it or anything like that.

I am going to start with Bilstein Z51's shocks all the way around...what do yo think?..I think I can pick up a set for a little under $300.

A guy I work with has an 87 coupe and put the Z51 Bilsteins on his, and he absolutely loves them, he said it rides better since his other ones were worn.

-Dave
Old 12-06-2001, 01:18 AM
Ruby_Roadster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What can I do to my 93 conv. to make it less floaty>>Z51 Bilsteins? >> (dizwiz24)

BIlsteins with Coilovers, Get rid of the Front & Rear springs, Adjustable Ride Height, Valved for Road/Track - done it all and the handling is now out of this world. No more "floating" at high speed, hugs the road and takes the corners fantastically !!! :D

[Modified by Ruby_Roadster, 3:19 PM 12/6/2001]
Old 12-06-2001, 10:29 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What can I do to my 93 conv. to make it less floaty>>Z51 Bilsteins? >> (dizwiz24)

diz, you simply need to have the proper shock valving. No need to throw out the baby with the bath water. Especially with a ragtop, you don't want to go stiffer on springs and swaybars. All you will end up doing is transferring all that torque to your already "non rigid" frame. The rebound control in the rears of C4's is almost non existant. Call the guys at Bilstein in Calif 800.537.1085. Tell them what you have and ask them for their recommendation on valving. It's a very cost effective way to fine tune your suspension, and keep a high quality shock on your car.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:59 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Default Re: What can I do to my 93 conv. to make it less floaty>>Z51 Bilsteins? >> (h rocks)

I don't see how going stiffer (larger diameter) on the sway bar would have any negative effect.

Its not cornering on straight roads (where large diameter sway bars shine) though thats bothering me, its bumps and such. I have too much of a disconnected feeling when going over bumps,

As for large amounts of torque, I am not planning on dropping in a 383 stroker, or an S/C any time soon, but I do imagine my car puts out a healthy amount.

I see another post somebody recommended coil-overs and they have a ragtop. Its nice to see what another ragtop owner did and the improvement it made for his convertible. But, its all about cost. I can't imagine Bilstein coil-overs are cheap.

Old 12-06-2001, 02:27 PM
HiRiser
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another happy user of Z51 Bilsteins on a FE1 suspension. Highly recommended for the cost and the amount of work involved.
Old 12-06-2001, 03:07 PM
h rocks
Safety Car

I'm sorry diz, I assumed incorrectly.

The "torque" I'm referring to is the "twist" that will be transferred to your frame from using much stiffer anti sway bars. Secondly, you mentioned earlier that "cost is an object" or words to that effect. Either I again wrongly assumed that spending a couple of thousands of dollars was a fairly substantial cost, or maybe you hadn't priced out a good set of coilovers plus proper install and setup. Lastly, I don't understand how you "corner on straight roads, (where large diameter sway bars shine)"

The shock valving is the simple, cost effective solution that you are looking for. It seems like you are really looking for a complicated, expensive one however. :cheers:

[Modified by h rocks, 2:10 PM 12/6/2001]
Old 12-06-2001, 04:21 PM
KORE YOME
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the identical problem as you have now. All you need is some better shocks. I used Koni yellows on mine after a bad expeience with coilovers. Please see my Koni review below:

Search ::

Reviews >> Suspension & Chassis >> KONI YELLOW C4 SHOCKS

Product Review

KONI YELLOW C4 SHOCKS -- 1 of 1

Date Published: 10/02/01

Reviewer's Name: Private
Email Address: Private
Corvetteforum.com Member Alias: KORE YOME
Car Details: 95 base suspension
Time to Install: 1-3 hours
Reversible: Yes, easily reversible

Satisfied: 10 out of 10

Value: 10 out of 10

Description: KONI Yellow adjustable shocks. All parts were in the box, and the parts were packaged well.
Shocks looked good too with glossy yellow paint (but who cares right?) Nice adjustment ****. No complaints
with overall quality and look of product. Price was high compared to competitors, but I gambled.

Experiences: They went in as easy as factory shocks in a little over an hour for all four. After four
adjustments (and test drives) I found "my" setting. These shocks were purchased to replace my stock Bilsteins
which bounced and oscillated excessively like a Caddilac in both the front and rear. The car had no control
whatsoever and the ride sucked, period! Contimplated Bilsteins, but went for the Koni's for the adjustability. Now
my car rides like a vette. In the softest setting they eliminated most of 75%of the oscillation with no noticeable
increase in ride harshness, however I eventually set it at a little over 1/2 a turn and couldn't be happier. No
oscillations, no excessive bounce, no harshness....only great handling, less nose diving during braking and less
rear end squat during acceleration.

Installation: Double nut front and rear for safety. KONI supplies two nuts per shock so use them.

Comments: The only downside to these shocks is the rear shocks are not adjustable without removing
them from the car. This is a small problem, but it can get tiring if you want to do a little fine tuning like I did. I
had to take them off many times to find the setting I liked. However, after driving the car for several months now
with that setting I would have done it 10 times as there is NO comparison between tuning the shock to your own
driving habits/preferences and getting somebody elses generic valving, no matter how much they say they know
what you want.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:29 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Default Re: What can I do to my 93 conv. to make it less floaty>>Z51 Bilsteins? >> (h rocks)

Lastly, I don't understand how you "corner on straight roads, (where large diameter sway bars shine)"

Resonse: For the record, I agree straight isn't a good word. Flat is a better word. I mean't roads that are non-bumpy, smooth, no hills with turns, etc.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:01 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Prepare your kidneys also :D ! My Z51 has been rough on the ol' body but it's also true that my little town has alot of potholes/road imperfections/dips. Stick with Bilsteins or something of equal caliber. I tried others but they don't satisfy as much as the Bil's.

Get notified of new replies

To What can I do to my 93 conv. to make it less floaty>>Z51 Bilsteins? >>

Quick Reply: What can I do to my 93 conv. to make it less floaty>>Z51 Bilsteins? >>