C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stock valve covers wont work with roller rocker

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 04:17 PM
CHISGT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock valve covers wont work with roller rocker

I am just putting the finishing touches on the ZZ383 and I was hoping to use the stock magnesium valve covers from the 88 L98, unfortunately they dont fit. (Rockers dont allow the valve covers to come all the way down to meet the heads) Has anyone else run into this problem and if so what have you done to get them to fit? I havnt really seen any center hold down valve covers that I like and I think the classic look of the originals is the way to go. Any help is always much appreciated. Thanks as always Tim
Old 03-11-2008, 04:19 PM
geogolf
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default covers

you have the drip tabs cut off i assume
Old 03-11-2008, 04:20 PM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Search" is your best friend... but the gist of what you'll find is you've got to do some grinding to do on the stock covers (the oil drip tabs hit).

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:54 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX70CC
"Search" is your best friend... but the gist of what you'll find is you've got to do some grinding to do on the stock covers (the oil drip tabs hit).

Good luck!
SEARCH! Agent 86 posted some good pictures.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:38 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHISGT
I am just putting the finishing touches on the ZZ383 and I was hoping to use the stock magnesium valve covers from the 88 L98, unfortunately they dont fit. (Rockers dont allow the valve covers to come all the way down to meet the heads) Has anyone else run into this problem and if so what have you done to get them to fit? I havnt really seen any center hold down valve covers that I like and I think the classic look of the originals is the way to go. Any help is always much appreciated. Thanks as always Tim
First, ensure that this is not a drip tab issue. If so, ignore my comments below.

I ran into the same issue with the tall springs (required for large solid roller) and the CC Pro Magnums when I first built my engine. I absolutely wanted to retain the factory magnesium covers, but they lasked ~1/8" from sealing to the valve cover (drip tabs wee completely gone long ago). I wound up ordering a set of perimeter to CB adapters from Scoggins & Dickey and machined out the CB conversions. This basically converted the adapters into simple spacers. The spacers use a captured o-ring to seal to the head , with a factory type gasket sealing to the valvecover.

The valve cover sits ~0.30" higher than factory, but is nearly undetectable to the naked eye. It worked well for me, and retains the stealth appearance.
Aaron
Old 03-11-2008, 07:00 PM
87Beast
Pro

I know I'm going to get roasted... but when I ran into that problem a long time ago I cut the drip[ tabs and didn't help, then a friend suggested to take two gaskets and join them together, it worked for 7 years with slight dripping until I found a set of taller valve covers. At that time I couldn't find tall CBolt covers and that was my only option.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Mark85Vett
Pro

probably not the answer youre looking for, but I put Proform chevy valve covers on..no fitment issues....
Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You need to find out waht part is holding you back. My FAT crane rockers required drip tab removal, bolt towers shaved and baffles squished.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:33 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas

You should be able to trim the tabs and get them to clear.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 PM
xrcrx
Burning Brakes

If you run taller valve covers you'll have issues with the wiper motor-trust me on this!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:58 PM
85redinside
Advanced

Originally Posted by 87Beast
I know I'm going to get roasted... but when I ran into that problem a long time ago I cut the drip[ tabs and didn't help, then a friend suggested to take two gaskets and join them together, it worked for 7 years with slight dripping until I found a set of taller valve covers. At that time I couldn't find tall CBolt covers and that was my only option.
Two gaskets has worked for me.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 AM
geezel
Burning Brakes

My FAT crane rockers required drip tab removal, bolt towers shaved and baffles squished.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:08 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Any Photos ?

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
You need to find out waht part is holding you back. My FAT crane rockers required drip tab removal, bolt towers shaved and baffles squished.
Dan - Do you have any photos of the valve cover modifications that you made to get them to fit? A picture is worth a thousand words....

Last edited by pmihaltian; 03-12-2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-12-2008, 03:18 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pmihaltian
Dan - Do you have any photos of the valve cover modifications that you made to get them to fit? A picture is worth a thousand words....
Sure do
Old 03-12-2008, 10:34 PM
CHISGT
Instructor

Thanks guys. after using the search page for agent86 I found the photo on page 13 or 14. I will be modifying the valve covers tonight.Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:43 AM
wro87
Burning Brakes

Like the guys have said make sure that the tabs are your problems for fit. Just to make sure when we changed the top end out we went with taller VC but we didn't have any issues with the wiper motor but some on the front with the AC unit ended up grinding out some then easy. wro87
Old 03-14-2008, 05:22 AM
87Beast
Pro

Cut tabs first! It's easy using a dremel. If that doesn't work you could either double gasket or go tall VC.
btw did you put in AFR 190? that is why my stock vc wouldn't fit.
And with my talls it's kissing the wiper motor (but still works) and has no issues with the A/C and alt/smog pump.
Good luck! Let us know how it's going.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock valve covers wont work with roller rocker

Old 03-14-2008, 04:22 PM
VR'92
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

You don't have to cut em, just get a pair of vice grips and pinch / pop em off.

Keeps all that dust from cutting from dusting up your covers.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:57 PM
vettef6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AKS Racing
First, ensure that this is not a drip tab issue. If so, ignore my comments below.

I ran into the same issue with the tall springs (required for large solid roller) and the CC Pro Magnums when I first built my engine. I absolutely wanted to retain the factory magnesium covers, but they lasked ~1/8" from sealing to the valve cover (drip tabs wee completely gone long ago). I wound up ordering a set of perimeter to CB adapters from Scoggins & Dickey and machined out the CB conversions. This basically converted the adapters into simple spacers. The spacers use a captured o-ring to seal to the head , with a factory type gasket sealing to the valvecover.

The valve cover sits ~0.30" higher than factory, but is nearly undetectable to the naked eye. It worked well for me, and retains the stealth appearance.
Aaron
Aaron, would you know the part # of the "perimeter to CB adapters"??
Old 03-14-2008, 07:21 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Cut off the drip tabs or grind them off. If you try and bend them or pop them off, you run the risk of tearing out part of the cover. Others have tried this method, some with success and others with a destroyed valve cover.

Quick Reply: Stock valve covers wont work with roller rocker