C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

SCCA tow hook on C4 race car, anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SCCA tow hook on C4 race car, anybody?

I searched and couldn't find any info. I'm helping my son build his '87 into a race car. He intends to do solo events for now but may want to get into wheel to wheel later. So, why not put a tow hook on it now? We have read the SCCA rules for it. Anybody have one on their C4? Curious where it has worked for others before we just fab one up trying to make it work. We're going to do back and front as per the rules. Don't bother telling me about the tie down hooks located behind the front wheels and in front of the back wheels. That's not what we're talking about here. Thank you.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

There was a recent thread here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1959195
Old 03-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Oh wow, sorry. I guess I only searched in C4 Technical area. Forgot about the racing section. Haven't seen any good pictures of a front one there yet either. Oh well. Some good descriptions I guess we can try to work out.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:39 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Little bit of work but for my drag car I have the hook mounted in the number plate recess.
Welded a piece of box between frame rails behind bumper mount and loop goes forward off that through hole drilled in fibreglass bumper mount.
If I wanted to be pedantic could still install number plate cover so long as I had some quick release clips on cover so it can be accessed without tools
Old 03-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

We've taken off the hood and front bumper cover looking for a good place to attach a tow hook. Haven't come up with a great plan yet. Thinking about using one of the web straps with a loop on the end. Bolt that to the front of one of the frame members. Feed the strap out through the fog light opening. Anybody have any better ideas?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:54 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link to what we are looking at for the C4:

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...egory_Code=TOW

only thing is it mentions it is best suited for a spec miata type car. Is a gutted lightened C4 around 28XX-30XX pounds to heavy you think for the web strap? It seems like it should would good and the car wouldn't be to heavy for it but what do you guys think?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4
I searched and couldn't find any info. I'm helping my son build his '87 into a race car. He intends to do solo events for now but may want to get into wheel to wheel later. So, why not put a tow hook on it now? We have read the SCCA rules for it. Anybody have one on their C4? Curious where it has worked for others before we just fab one up trying to make it work. We're going to do back and front as per the rules. Don't bother telling me about the tie down hooks located behind the front wheels and in front of the back wheels. That's not what we're talking about here. Thank you.
Bob I sent you an email with my phone number - if you wantr pictures of what I consider an excellent tow hook - give me a call today. as I will be moving the car around today - so I could throw it up on the lift and shoot a few photos for both front and rear tow hooks

Carl Johansson
Old 03-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Email reply sent, thanks Carl. I don't think the one Carl uses would pass SCCA specs since it's down under the front and not sticking out. Anybody else have a SCCA hook? Here's the SCCA rule:

2.10.8: TOWING APPARATUS – All cars must have one (1) front and one (1) rear permanently installed towing eyes/straps/cables, with a minimum hole diameter of 50.4 mm (2”). The apparatus shall be strong enough to pull the vehicle out of a gravel trap. This means that the towing apparatus must be able to withstand the weight of the car and the gravel that gets picked up, approximately 5000 lbs. total. If the towing apparatus is located more than 305 mm (12”) above the ground, it shall not be rigid enough, in the area between the structural part of the chassis and the bodywork, to cause any damage, other than
superficial, to another car. Towing eyes that stick out of the bodywork shall either be hinged to create a blunt surface, or thin enough that it will bend if it comes in contact with metal bodywork of another car.
2.10.8.1: The towing apparatus must be positioned in such a way that:
-They are easily accessible should the car be stopped in a gravel bed.
-They do not protrude beyond the perimeter of the bodywork greater than 1” as viewed from above.
-They are easily accessible without removal, or manipulation, of bodywork.
2.10.8.2: The towing apparatus must be clearly visible with the loop painted in, or the strap material woven in, a strongly contrasting color. There shall be an arrow that contrasts strongly with the vehicle paint scheme, pointing to each tow eye/strap/cable.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA tow hook on C4 race car, anybody?

Quick Reply: SCCA tow hook on C4 race car, anybody?