C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

replacing automatic transmission hard lines with braided hose and AN fittings

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 03:35 PM
lawcorvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default replacing automatic transmission hard lines with braided hose and AN fittings

I am in the process of installing an aftermarket transmission cooler (in addition to the cooler in the radiator). I remember being advised to connect the aftermarket transmission cooler in line with the transmission cooler that is integrated into my Dewitts radiator. While doing this I would like to replace my hard lines because... I am running a braided engine oil line to a cooler in that area and would like to reroute the line for space, the transmission lines appear close to my hooker headers, and the hard lines are rusting badly.

I would like to know:

1) What size AN fitting fits into the automatic cooler portion of the dewitts radiator (I know I could just cut the line and bring it to a speed shop, but I want to keep the line b/c you never know when you might need something) and what size AN fittings go into the transmission; and

2) How should I integrate the aftermarket transmission cooler with the radiator transmission cooler.... in line with the bottom connection of the radiator transmission cooler or in line with the upper connection of the radiator transmission cooler.

This 700r4 is behind a miniram 406.

Thank you,

Harry
Old 04-22-2008, 05:28 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll try to be of some help. The lines you are working with are 6AN. Or you can use 6AN. I just did something similar with a T400. The lines coming out of your radiator are probably inverted flare. I haven't found that type of AN fitting, but there maybe something out there. If you want to go from hard line to AN, you can use Russell hard tube adapters from Summit Part# RUS-639200. Those will get you from 3/8" hard lines to 6AN female. Then you can get 6AN male to hose and your back to steel braided hose. Your trans cooler probably already has 6AN male ends, so it's easy to get female/hose connectors for that. You may want some with some 90 degree bends. And I think your trans is 3/8" pipe thread, but not 100% sure. Maybe somebody else can chime in to help clear up the loose ends.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:36 PM
lawcorvette
Racer

Default Looks good

Thanks,

I will probably be ordering the part you listed from summit.

HH
Old 04-22-2008, 09:13 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

After rereading my post... I think the trans lines coming out of the trans are 1/4" pipe thread, not 3/8".
Old 04-22-2008, 09:40 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

the fittings are 1/2" inverted flare

Earl's has them
Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Overboost
Racer

Location: Flint Michigan, #2 in unemployment, #3 in Violent crimes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had them on my grand national.
same trans, same lines.
looked cool with the braided lines and AN fittings.
had the trans cooler mounted up front between the air intakes for the intercooler.
I used earls adaptors, parker lines and a moroso cooler. bolted up perfect.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:23 PM
lawcorvette
Racer

Default ok now what about the fitting into the transmission?

Thanks for all your help guys.

I got an email from Tom Dewitt... he said 1/2" inverted flare.

HH

Get notified of new replies

To replacing automatic transmission hard lines with braided hose and AN fittings

Quick Reply: replacing automatic transmission hard lines with braided hose and AN fittings