C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Factory Bose Radio quest

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 05:12 PM
black86targa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Bose Radio quest

Factory radio doesnt have eq *****. Does anyone know if all the radio speaker wires go straight from speaker to rear of radio, or do they go thru a sub amp. My tape player works, but no clock, AM or FM radio. Just want to know how big a hassle to put in an aftermarket. I dont want any high end stuff since most I listen to is talk/ sports shows. All Im going for is a very basic radio and just connect the existing speaker wires. tks :confused:
Old 12-16-2001, 05:20 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Factory Bose Radio quest (black86targa)

The later Bose had a separate preamp behind the seats, but mine has the preamp with the tuner in the dash and the amps are at each speaker.

BTW, my radio cut out shortly after I got the car so I picked up a used/reconditioned one for about $250 (but I didn't shop for price). Of course my deal was to keep it OEM and it was no hassle to just swap units.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:22 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

If you have bose, it ain't that easy!!! There are amps that make up each speaker box.

You would be best to trash the entire bose related system, and install aftermarket. in the long run, it will be much cheaper and easier. The bose amps die after a while anyway.

I cannot speak as to why your radio portion would die... I know in the later units, the receiver was a sperate module up against the dash. I donno how your vintage is arrainged. I know someone here does!!!
Old 12-16-2001, 05:35 PM
black86targa
Instructor

Default Re: Factory Bose Radio quest (bogus)

tks for the fast responses. I didnt want to have to mess with running speaker wires but oh well. Guess Ill make the trip to Radio Shack for their $129 kit with radio and 2 speakers. :cheers:
Old 12-16-2001, 06:12 PM
PurpleC4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Currently Corvette-less

Actually, it sounds like one of your radio fuses are blown. Do all of your dash lights work? I think that alternate Fuse Block #2 contains the fuse for the functions you have mentioned.
Purp
Old 12-17-2001, 01:35 PM
35th
Drifting

Default Re: Factory Bose Radio quest (PurpleC4)

Bunch
Of
S#!t
Ehh

That's how U spell Bose. :mad :cuss :mad
Old 12-17-2001, 05:58 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Factory Bose Radio quest (35th)

Buy
Other
Sterio
Equipment.
Get a new deck and speakers. You should run new speaker wires also. Since you don't need great stuff, get a basic deck and speakers. You will also need a GM dash kit to make it fit properly, and a wire harness that plugs into the stock harness is a good idea to. This way you have an easy way to get the wires and they are labeled for easy installation. Connect it with crimps for reliability issues. Use Blue butts and a pair of decent crimpers. I like the GB ones from sears for about $10. They crimp in the front like a pair of cutters and not between the handles. It also has a tooth that sticks into the crimp on one side instead of just pressing the two sides together. Better grip with the crimps. Run 14-16 gauge wire to the speakers. Hope this makes it easier on you.
P.S. Check the fuse also. They have two fuses. One makes the deck run, the other makes the FM, clock, etc work. Each fuse is wired with a seperate power hookup. One is for constant, the other ignition. I believe the cigarette lighter is on the same fuse as the constant or clock lead to the radio. See if it works. Lastly, you may have two fuse locations like I do. One is inside the door frame on the dash. The other is inside the dash behind the panel above the passenger's feet. You need to remove the panel to get to it. The panel has some screws underneath and one addional screw inside the first fuse box that need to come out to access the area.

[Modified by 92TripleBlack, 5:02 PM 12/17/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Bose Radio quest

Quick Reply: Factory Bose Radio quest