C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Service ASR

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 01:14 PM
xzo124
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Service ASR

Had the light on dash come on last night "service asr" on 93 convertible . What does it require to fix problem . TIA...xzo
Old 12-28-2010, 01:39 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I would pull the codes and see if there are any. If you have one it may give you some direction.

Do you know how to pull the codes the codes.

I would also clear the codes and see if it returned if there are any.

Does the ASR still work?
Old 12-28-2010, 04:11 PM
xzo124
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcolt94
I would pull the codes and see if there are any. If you have one it may give you some direction.

Do you know how to pull the codes the codes.

I would also clear the codes and see if it returned if there are any.

Does the ASR still work?
No , I do not know how to pull the codes . And yes the ASR still works.....xzo
Old 12-28-2010, 05:03 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by xzo124
Had the light on dash come on last night "service asr" on 93 convertible . What does it require to fix problem . TIA...xzo
stealership
Old 12-28-2010, 05:17 PM
redvetttes
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is a ASR?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:13 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by redvetttes
What is a ASR?
ASR: Acceleration Slip Regulation
More commonly known as "Traction Control"
It was introduced for the '92 model year.

The Corvette ASR (Acceleration Slip Regulation) created by Bosch was introduced. Standard equipment on all Corvettes, it worked by retarding the engine spark, closing the throttle and brake intervention. The throttle cable relax feature was interesting. It communicated to the driver that the system was "taking over" by giving him/her a gentle push back on the gas pedal. It was designed with the performance oriented driver in mind and could be switched off.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:56 PM
turbotim23
Pro

I'd be interested in knowing how to reset the asr on a 93 also. Will unhooking the battery turn the light off? Thanks Tim
Old 12-28-2010, 07:41 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by turbotim23
I'd be interested in knowing how to reset the asr on a 93 also. Will unhooking the battery turn the light off? Thanks Tim
If there is a code (or codes) set, the problem will have to be fixed. Disconnecting the battery will not turn the light off. After 50 ignition cycles, the light will go off as long as no recurring faults are detected.

The FSM has over 130 pages relating to diagnosis and repair of the ABS/ASR system. ABS is a part of the ASR and they work together. In order to properly diagnose the Service ASR light, codes will have to be pulled using a GM Tech 1 scan tool or similar tool. There are different testing procedures depending if there are codes or no codes.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
If there is a code (or codes) set, the problem will have to be fixed. Disconnecting the battery will not turn the light off. After 50 ignition cycles, the light will go off as long as no recurring faults are detected.

The FSM has over 130 pages relating to diagnosis and repair of the ABS/ASR system. ABS is a part of the ASR and they work together. In order to properly diagnose the Service ASR light, codes will have to be pulled using a GM Tech 1 scan tool or similar tool. There are different testing procedures depending if there are codes or no codes.
And in addition

The ASR codes is controlled by the EBTCM or brake computer. You cannot reset the codes by removing the battery cable like the CCM and ECM. It can be done by the on board diagnosis also. That module is # 9.0 and you can go to module 9.7 to delete the codes. However find out what they are first.

But before you can jump in you need to learn how to pull the codes and use the on board diagnoists which work quite well. Here are a few links that are all similar to get you started. It is also best to get a FSM for your year car if you plan to get involved in repair of it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-retrieve.html

http://www.corvettebuyers.com/c4vettes/codes.htm

http://www.corvette-guru.com/uploads...CMCodePull.pdf
Old 12-29-2010, 08:21 AM
digitalray
Intermediate

had the exact same problem on my 93 conv lt1 5.7l yesterday evening.

i drove away from the gas station and heard the asr coming on, used the cruise control after that for a short time.
after about 5 mins later the "service asr" came on for the first time ever.

i tried pushing the asr on/off button with pause between on/off but it didn't turn the "service asr" light off.

i turned off the ignition at the red traffic lights and back on, and the "service asr" lights came on with all other lights, but turned off when i started the engine. so i guess there "might" be a problem, but not that much of a problem to worry about as it didn't come on again ?

in a post before this i read that the "service asr" light should stay on as long as an error code about abs/asr is stored, so i guess there is no error code stored because it's off after starting the engine a 2nd time ?

i'll try to recover error codes later this day. i read everywhere it's not needed to service the asr or open it anyway. but there is a label on the asr box telling me to look in the manual for throttle cable adjustment. so i guess it is needed to adjust this cable from time to time ?

ray
Old 12-29-2010, 05:26 PM
turbotim23
Pro

Well in my case I know why the asr light is on. When I was working on the c5 front brake upgrade, I had to move the car.Didn't have anybody to help me so I just started it up and drove it with no brakes to where I wanted it. Light has been on ever since. Kind of my own fault. Thanks Tim

Last edited by turbotim23; 12-29-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:12 AM
digitalray
Intermediate

something else i realized is, that the engine idles at about 1100 most of the time, the whole last year it went down to about 600-800 when idling.

could this be because of the extreme low temperatures (about -3 to -15 °C here) ?

or could this be related to the "service asr" light coming up one time (not again after).

sometimes the engine seems to give some throttle when idling, seems like it does that because the engine would stop otherwise or idle way too low.

it didn't do that last year (but i didnt really drive in winter back then).

is that normal behaviour ?

it's a 93 LT1 5.7l Manual Transmission Engine

Last edited by digitalray; 01-01-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Guitarguy
Instructor

check your brake fluid level.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:21 AM
digitalray
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Guitarguy
thanks, i will try changing it. does this really affect the idling and in which way or does it just affect the break pedal and eventually abs ?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:30 AM
digitalray
Intermediate

checked it. it's ok. filled up to the line and was completely replaced 2 years ago, so it should be fine.

i made a checklist with symptoms i got:

- Service ASR light is coming on once a week after driving for about 10 or 15 minutes while driving straight and constantly with no special driving actions involved.

- when i start the engine, there is a light humming sound from the front, like it is doing a check, but it doesn't go off after 20 seconds sometimes like normal.

- got problems with idling speed, goes up to 1200 and stays there sometimes. 2 times so far the engine
suddenly dropped idling and is about to go off completely but then it gives throttle automatically and keeps running, but with idle speed up to 1200 again. never had that before, the engine is fine, had it inspected by 2 mechanics and 1 engine builder, all said it's in very good shape for a 93 LT-1. oil is changed twice a year with mobil1 10w40.

- the PSR antitheft does only work once in a while anymore.

- sometimes "service engine soon" comes on together with "service asr". when i press the asr off button, the "service engine soon" light goes off again while "service asr" stays. when i turn the engine off and on again, lights are off again and asr still works then.

- about 2 mins after the "service asr" light comes on, i get a 5 x bing sound while driving contantly like when you get in your car and haven't got your seatbelt on or stop your car and haven't turned the lights off. no sys error or anything other while or after the sound.

- didn't get a SYS ERROR displayed so far.

Last edited by digitalray; 01-07-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by digitalray
checked it. it's ok. filled up to the line and was completely replaced 2 years ago, so it should be fine.

i made a checklist with symptoms i got:

- Service ASR light is coming on once a week after driving for about 10 or 15 minutes while driving straight and constantly with no special driving actions involved.

- when i start the engine, there is a light humming sound from the front, like it is doing a check, but it doesn't go off after 20 seconds sometimes like normal.

- got problems with idling speed, goes up to 1200 and stays there sometimes. 2 times so far the engine
suddenly dropped idling and is about to go off completely but then it gives throttle automatically and keeps running, but with idle speed up to 1200 again. never had that before, the engine is fine, had it inspected by 2 mechanics and 1 engine builder, all said it's in very good shape for a 93 LT-1. oil is changed twice a year with mobil1 10w40.

- the PSR antitheft does only work once in a while anymore.

- sometimes "service engine soon" comes on together with "service asr". when i press the asr off button, the "service engine soon" light goes off again while "service asr" stays. when i turn the engine off and on again, lights are off again and asr still works then.

- about 2 mins after the "service asr" light comes on, i get a 5 x bing sound while driving contantly like when you get in your car and haven't got your seatbelt on or stop your car and haven't turned the lights off. no sys error or anything other while or after the sound.

- didn't get a SYS ERROR displayed so far.
Good news is you can check the codes without going to the dealer.
Do a search - IIRC you ground two connections in the ALDL connector and they show up on the spedometer. If you have a FSM the procedure is there. I used to have a link to a pdf that duplicated it. I have a set of grounding plugs from Gordon Killebrew that I use.

I've got a similar problem, but since I hate the way it works and my car is turning into a road race car I'll be removing it.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:45 PM
xzo124
Instructor

added brake fluid , no more light on dash. I replaced brake pads in front earlier in 2010 . Tells me I need to check pads in rear pretty soon , brake fluid low from caliper piston extented. Thanks Guitarguy...xzo

Get notified of new replies

To Service ASR

Quick Reply: Service ASR