C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clean up

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:03 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean up

Ok, I'm working on the odds and ends.....

I was washing the car the other day and my son decided he was wash the engine since I had the hood up.

Well, now I'm getting a Check Gauges light that goes on and off on occassion. No indication of anything wrong. At first, the tach didn't come up after he wet it, within seconds it is working fine.

Next, I'm' getting a code 44, lean condition, at idle evidenced by the SES light. I bumped the fuel pressure from 43 to 45. I am on the ragged edge of lean as the light goes out as soon as I start driving, it only goes on at a light. I figure it's an exhaust leak, or fuel pressure. There is no exhaust leak that I can tell.

Can the advanced timing, 10* effect the lean mix? I am running the NGK plugs, heat range 8, they look lean when I pull them out. Would a plug that is too hot cause a lean condition.

I can ramp the timing back to 6*, but I would rather solve it here, if that is even a problem.

What do you think? Suggestions?
Old 05-13-2008, 06:28 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If it was ok before hosing her down, as always, look to the last thing you did.

You might blow out the under hood area with compressed air; could be some moisture trapped somewhere that is giving an intermittent, particularly around the O2 sensor.

Have you tried Field Service mode to compare the On with Off flash durations once she goes into closed loop mode?
If you can hold the throttle steady enough you can get a rough check on A/F at several (steady) RPM.
Then you can bump pressure till and check that A/F is close or not.

The above is a rather qualitative test; my AutoXray would give quantative A/F data via looking directly at the BLM & Int values.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:02 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
If it was ok before hosing her down, as always, look to the last thing you did.

You might blow out the under hood area with compressed air; could be some moisture trapped somewhere that is giving an intermittent, particularly around the O2 sensor.

Have you tried Field Service mode to compare the On with Off flash durations once she goes into closed loop mode?
If you can hold the throttle steady enough you can get a rough check on A/F at several (steady) RPM.
Then you can bump pressure till and check that A/F is close or not.

The above is a rather qualitative test; my AutoXray would give quantative A/F data via looking directly at the BLM & Int values.
How about I take a ride up, buy you lunch, and we can hook up auto X ray and see what we get.

You in? PM me.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:36 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Though you're busy, if you have a spare hour or so pick up a Mother's clay bar kit with extra quick detailer and give her a real slick finish followed by a nice waxing.
I just did that to mine and the damn Ca duster almost slips out of my hand now...

Get notified of new replies

To Clean up

Quick Reply: Clean up