C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Suspension upgrade results.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 12:23 AM
lemans396
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension upgrade results.

I'm finally done with the suspension upgrades. Upper/lower ball joints, tie rods, rear toe rods, 30mm front sway bar, 26mm rear sway bar, polyurethane upper/lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings plus end links, diff carrier bushings and camber rod bushings ,plus both rear wheel bearings. Lowering kit with custom wheel alignment:
Front camber- .40 deg neg. Rear camber .70 deg neg. Caster 6 deg pos.
Front toe 0" Rear toe 1/16" toe in.
The car is much more responsive and precise with very limited lean. If I brake early I can enter the turn on the throttle keeping the speed or accelarating through it. Only if I brake extremely late cutting in the turn I get a decent amount of understeer, actually losing traction in th front. But that can be corrected with proper technique. I definatly recomend this upgrade to anyone interested in exploiting the vehicle's handling characteristics. Only drawback, I can feel every crease in the road, including gum wrappers. Now on to fix the squeeky glass top.
Old 12-18-2001, 12:52 AM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

Default Re: Suspension upgrade results. (lemans396)

how does the car act on the street? does it wander, or follow cracks, ect?
Old 12-18-2001, 01:01 AM
lemans396
Instructor

Default Re: Suspension upgrade results. (L98 DRIVER)

Being that I have 275 40 17's all around it still does a bit, but nowhere near the amount before the upgrade. It really does it only when there are wear grooves in the road (ruts) caused by heavy truck traffic.
Old 12-18-2001, 03:15 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Suspension upgrade results. (lemans396)

How did you get the rubber bushings out from the A-Arms, and can you define the ride a little more; in terms of harshness is the ride jolting or is it smoothe, just the urethane transferring the road surface through the frame of your car???
Old 12-19-2001, 12:05 AM
lemans396
Instructor

Default Re: Suspension upgrade results. (BlackRocket)

BlackRocket, the VetteDoctors did all the work so I can't really answer your first question.
I wouldn't rate the ride as jolting. I think it's safe to say it's as firm as you can get. Bigger bumps ar actually smoother, but if you hit something like a pot hole, (plenty in NYC) then it's pretty sharp. There is a much more connected feelling with the road and positive driver feedback, the car "tells" you exactly what's going on. You are allways aware of what the tires are doing.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension upgrade results.

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrade results.