C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

need some help - distributor orientation - 85 L98 - runs like crap

Old 05-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Default need some help - distributor orientation - 85 L98 - runs like crap

well, i just finished doing some major maintenance stuff on my 85. it's all back together, and it starts ok, but doesn't develop much power under load or acceleration. kind of spits and spudders. note: no codes are set. when i set the timing (with the distributor disconnected from the ecm) it seems like its on the ragged edge of being in time. idles kind of rough, but seems to improve when connected to the ecm. i'm pretty sure i've accounted of all vacuum lines. i've triple checked the firing order/spark plug wires to distributor cap order, etc. here is a list of what i did:

1) replacement injectors - i bought a set of 85 bosch injectors and sent them off to rich at cruzin performance for cleaning and testing. they came back with a clean bill of health.

2) new timing chain - cloyes double roller installed straight up

3) new valve stem seals

4) new waterpump

5) new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil

6) new harmonic balancer

finally, repaired a bunch of minor oil leaks with new gaskets and seals, and repairing of the plastic vacuum lines, etc.

long story short, or short story long - as i said, the car starts immediately, but i'm not convinced the timing is right, or that the distributor is oriented correctly to the engine - ??? - before i removed the distributor, the thing was oriented such a way that with the coil wiring connectors were perpendicular to the center line of the engine. now the thing is rotated about 15 degrees or so CW from what i'm thinking is normal. i've had this thing in and out several times, and another time the orientation was about 15 degrees CCW from what i consider norm. i'm thinking i'm off one tooth on the distributor gear. question - with #1 at TDC, where exactly should the rotor be pointing? if you were standing behind the distributor looking down - i'm looking at about the 1 o'clk position, coming up on #8 distributor position. none of this makes sense to me at this point. i'm thinking the rotor should be at the #1 firing position with the #1 clyinder at TDC. my mind is a mess and nothing is making sense. i can also index the distributor so the rotor is pointing at about 11 o'clk., or near the #1 distributor contact, but have to rotate the distributor pretty far CCW to get it to run. i'm thinking the rotor should be pointing at 12 o'clk so, any comments here???

when i installed the timing chain, i DOUBLED checked the thing, and i'm 100% confident the thing is installed right.

i'm going to double check the injector resistance readings, double check all vacuum lines, and look at the throttle position sensor, and IAC

any ideas or comments to straighten this thing out? anything i may have overlooked?? anything else to double check??? ...need some help. anyone have a step-by-step procedure for setting the static and dynamic timing on an L98 including distribution installation? i really need to clear my brain on this one - looking for some fresh ideas - TIA -

Last edited by Joe C; 05-21-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This just happened on another forum. You don't need to worry about where the rotor is pointing.
Bring #1 up to TDC (have a helper) crank with the plug removed and when you feel compression line up the timing mark. The rotor is now pointing at your number one. Mark it and run your firing order clockwise from there (18436572) and you are done. Fire it up, set your base timing, and you are done.

Simple
Old 05-21-2008, 07:50 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

First, it makes no difference on what direction the rotor is pointing with #1 at TDC, as long as the #1 plug wire is where the rotor is. After you have the engine coming up to TDC on the compression stroke, as per Iroc57's instructions, continue to rotate the engine, but by hand, until the mark on the damper is at 10° BTDC on the timing tab. Then rotate the distributor body so that the rotor is at the leading edge of the distributor terminal. Make sure the ESC wire is connected. NOW you can fire the engine. It is OK to make minor adjustments to the distributor to establish a steady idle. Once the engine is warm and idling at a normal 600 -700 rpm you can disconnect the ESC connector and set the timing at the 6° BTDC spec.

You might want to double check that the indicated TDC really comes when the piston reaches TDC. There are several dampers available for different applications where the marks are in different locations for timing tabs in different places.

Also, have someone else check your wire routing. Even a wife or girl friend that knows nothing about it can double check by your instructions. Some times after you stare at a mistake for too long, something wrong begins to look right.

RACE ON!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:27 AM
gzalewski_2000
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Joe.....

Did you get your issue resolved ?
If so, HOW ? I have been working on my 85 C4 since last fall, and I am dumbfounded. I have the same problem. If I rotate the dist CCW it MAY start, and if it does, still run's like crap. Here is all that I have done so far, that I can remember. Pulled the timing cover, made sure the chain didn't jump. Pulled drivers side valve cover, rotated engine to TDC, made sure intake valve, second one back from the front was closed, then verified number one was where she was supposed to be. Everything lines up correctly. And on this engine, timing mark on Cam faces straight up when at TDC.
Replaced all relays, the ECM, twice mind you, swapped out my Hypertech with stock chip, replaced MAF sensor, coolant sensor, TPS sensor, oil pressure sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, cap, rotor, coil, Dist terminal board, Dist pick up coil, had the ign module tested, air temp sensor, ox sensor, idle air control motor and the starter. I think that's about it. Oh, and cleaned the throttle body. Still nothing, if I can get it started, runs like crap. Anyone have anything I may have missed ?

Get notified of new replies

To need some help - distributor orientation - 85 L98 - runs like crap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need some help - distributor orientation - 85 L98 - runs like crap